Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9/11 Tribute... And a moment of silence and prayer for those

Enthusiast
    lol whatever you guys suck, I should have went with my first response,

If you dont like America, then F U!!!

It's not terrible by any means but its certainly not #1. There are probably 15-20 countries ahead of it.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    It's not terrible by any means but its certainly not #1. There are probably 15-20 countries ahead of it.
    That, its the #1 as far as military power and raw economic throughput goes (might be #2 now for the economy now with China growing and all), but when you start measuring it with other metrics (democracy, corruption, national debt per citizen, health care coverage, education levels, homicides per citizen, long term sustainability of the economy, dependency on fossil fuels, etc), it falls behind many other countries.

What really annoys me is the pervasive attitude of some Americans that their countries is #1, because with that attitude, they are less likely to look at the various things that are done better in other countries and learn from them.

Whenever I have a discussion with Americans about problems with the economy or the state of democracy or the environment, it tends to be held back by how willfully ignorant many Americans are about solutions to these issues that various countries came up with and successfully implemented.
    Last edited by Magn; 19-09-2011 at 12:01.

Enthusiast
    I cant believe it took 2 whole pages for someone to call Americans ignorant!!! Ohh happy days. Were also fat, lazy, stupid and ethnocentric blah blah blah. What really pisses me off is the Anti-American sentiment that exists in the world. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we are the #1 military and economic power in the world(dont think China's caught us yet, tho everyone says they will and EU is up there as well, but thats not a country so I dont count it) and maybe most of all our interventionist foreign policy. Its extremely frustrating for me as someone who doesnt agree with most of these policies and who doesnt fit any of the American sterotypes(imo at least :)) to deal with.

Idk what Americans you have talked too, but I would never rank countries, that seems silly. I am very happy to be an American, but im sure there are other great places to live too. People say were like the Roman empire and this is the end of our Pax Romana. well if so we had a good run and glad I was along for the ride

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by kbone View Post
    I cant believe it took 2 whole pages for someone to call Americans ignorant!!!
    I'll stop you right there.

You are being overly generic. I'd say many Americans are whole-fully ignorant about what is happening in other countries.

While I don't have firm data at hand, I'd theorize that ignorance of other countries is strongly correlated with how much a person believe that the US is the #1 country.

Afterall, if you are the #1 country and you do everything perfectly, then there isn't much of an incentive to figure out how other countries are doing things is there, beyond figuring out what they are doing wrong (which translates into what they are doing that is different from the US).

Now, mind you, our Prime Minister has begun using these rhetoric himself when talking about Canada. Maybe it's a Conservative thing, who knows.
    Last edited by Magn; 19-09-2011 at 15:29.

kbone - It has alot of do that you think you have the right to do whatever you want and get away with it. Plus that alot of people met those ignorant, arrogant, stupid americans. Rome and USA has nothing in common besides that all Empires must fall.

Enthusiast
    korp, thats the kind of BS im talking about. I hope your not honestly trying to say that youve met a few Americans who were stupid, ignorant and arrogant, so we must all be that way. I wish that people could separate a dislike for a country's foreign policy from its people. I had almost zero say in anything the US did that you dont like(and I wasnt even born when some of it happened), yet you think less of me because im American? I hope not

I am just saying there is a basis for those kind of beliefs not saying thats how it is thou "few" is an understatment. Ive met nice and smart americans as well but they arent as vocal and visible as those that are stupid and ignorant. I mostly just dont care about other people, if i do care for some reason I do give them a chance even romanians! Its fun to generalize thou, people get upset :)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    What turned? I was just looking outside and everything seems the same. Just a little bit poorer.
    You tried to get a plane lately?

What changed: All the ignorant Americans who thought that the USA was an untouchable beacon of pure awesome suddenly realized that wasn't the case. A large majority of Americans had never experienced anything like that, especially from outside of the US. Last time that happened was Pearl Harbor.

For clarification, what I'm not saying:
    -All Americans are arrogant/ignorant.
    -9/11 was (all)good

Enthusiast
    korp, I would agree there is probably some truth in what youre saying, but I think there is also a lot of exaggeration and misunderstanding too

I remember I was really shocked and confused when it happened but I was also really young

Was 9/11 really that big of a deal? I think like 3000 people died? The worst part about 9/11 is the reaction to it, the mass amount of money put into fighting "terrorism" the lives lost on that road, and of course the end result of that war...

I mean if you think about taking back iraq/afghanistan put the money saved into preventing crime locally or fighting disease you probably save a ton more lives then the total lost. It was a tragedy but I believe it was blown out of proportion
    My life is better then yours.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemia View Post
    -Bows head in silence as today is the 10th year anniversary of one of the worst american tragedies in history- If anyone is in our Country and know what im saying, please reply and post taking the moment of silence with me.

I would greatly appreciate this if you would share this day with me, the day of september 11th 2001, this year i was only 13 years old in the 7th and or 8th grade, they put it live on the screen, we watched the plane hit right there on Tv in our math class right before lunch. I had no clue what it was, i was scared they let us all out early that day and told us to go home and be with our families. I never knew what it meant or what it was when it happened, i was jus ta child. but now that i reflect back on it and look on it now this day. I can undderstand with more repsect and appreciation of the sacrifices those men and women made, when the suicide hijakcers took the lives of not only themselves but so many people. Why would you take so many lives with your own??

did they have this mucch hate for the world and themselves they had to take as many with them as they could in their last days of their vain existence?

I will truly never understand this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8pu...eature=related

this link is a youtube post of the 9/11 video clips and alan jacksons memorial song of "where were you" when the world stopped turning (on that september day)

thats just the result of what happens when you have religeus finatics teaching how to hate. It was a barbarack attack, that they do on there neighbors on a regular bases.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Magn View Post
    That, its the #1 as far as military power and raw economic throughput goes (might be #2 now for the economy now with China growing and all), but when you start measuring it with other metrics (democracy, corruption, national debt per citizen, health care coverage, education levels, homicides per citizen, long term sustainability of the economy, dependency on fossil fuels, etc), it falls behind many other countries.

What really annoys me is the pervasive attitude of some Americans that their countries is #1, because with that attitude, they are less likely to look at the various things that are done better in other countries and learn from them.

Whenever I have a discussion with Americans about problems with the economy or the state of democracy or the environment, it tends to be held back by how willfully ignorant many Americans are about solutions to these issues that various countries came up with and successfully implemented.

maybe it's because you use the term "aragont american's" in every sentance. thats a pretty ignorant thing to do

Dude, you can't spell 'arrogant', 'sentence', 'religious', 'fanatics', 'barbaric', or 'basis' (and thats just your last two, very short, posts) and you're calling people ignorant.

You're an embarassment to your country.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Snowstorm View Post
    Dude, you can't spell 'arrogant', 'sentence', 'religious', 'fanatics', 'barbaric', or 'basis' (and thats just your last two, very short, posts) and you're calling people ignorant.

You're an embarassment to your country.
    your showing true ignorance Johny. You missed the point and went on a spellingB trip

Thread Information