TGs don't help me get unbreakable either. Clearly I should skip those too.

We have 2 questions:
1. What is the optimal TG/Forts split for a static province X to get the best offense at a set defense. (Or set off/def ratio if you use that instead. Either being measured via DPA or DPNW as per personal preference.)
2. What dynamic factors impact this balance, and how much?

I've only just thought of this now, but I think it is probably the *only* **major** consideration in part 2. Every other effect I've seen is small in comparison. I argue this isn't that big a deal either, but I grant that is quite open to argument.

During a deep chain, a province with more forts will have more offensive units and fewer defensive units. Thus, the army out represents a bigger pop investment, and it is slightly easier to hit sufficient overpop.

Under a semi-chain, the def lost is a % of troops, so it doesn't matter except in the number of pes left around, which is tiny anyway. Same dpa in either case, though NW/A is very slightly higher in the forts case.

I still argue having the extra 2-4% (tested, Elf 2%, Orc 3.8%) of offense, that hopefully lets you hit a bigger target (for more land) or keep a few elites home (to mess up the deep chain and make it harder to start) is more valuable that the small difference in target acres needed for a deep chain. Heck, if you can hit for land cap, you've got 20% (or 22%) your initial size incoming - that is better chain defense than anything else.