Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding hospitals

Regular

Regarding hospitals

Got a quick question regarding hosps,

I always took for granted that hospitals reduces the number of pessies, wizzies and thieves lost when massacred, but just figured that I dont have anything really backing this up.

Can anyone confirm/disprove this?

they do not, troops losses only.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Regular
    Ok thanks Bishop.

Enthusiast
    Since we're here already...

Regarding Hospitals... what's their use? They cure the Plague, fine. But besides that...
    Are they for slowing down chains only? Would you always prioritize Hosps over Banks? Would you build Hosps during Wars, rather than Banks, if the other kd does not chain?

About 15% hospitals is great during war, or if you're doing a lot of random oow hits. 15% banks will never equal the los reduction you would've got (draft/train/wait).

Actually when chained they don't really help as you'll prob have to release anyway...

Enthusiast
    Hosps give you troops right now, instead of later. Agreed.

Banks give you gc's which can be spent as troops or smthg else. Banks also give you more income actually, then the troops you're saving. Flexibility is important.

The rest of your post... I won't comment.

I see hospitals as a way to protect precious elites that is their main benefit.

Post Fiend
    if you're talking about the effectiveness of hospitals in relation to other buildings, then its only fair to throw armories into the mix. they are more closely tied to troops than banks

Enthusiast
    When it comes to training troops, arms and banks do the same thing. (different efficiency, ofc)

Hosps also have a different efficiency, ofc. But they do more then just to give you troops. First of all they give you troops with no training time. And they give you soldiers as well, i.e. some population. Just like BR. However, a relatively small amount of each. (and only when you attack or when you are attacked, not every tick)

% * 2 Daily Chance of Curing the Plague
    Decrease Military Losses by % * 3

I do not see how hospitals give you soldiers. And I do no see how they effect birth rate.

I use hospitals to save my elites, especially during war when I do not have the time nor gold to replace them.
    Everything in your province is peasant based

I think what Danrelle is trying to say is that hospitals reduce troops lost --> you need less soldiers to retrain those troops, so in a sense you "save" those soldiers. As for the "population" part, if you lose less troops it will take you less time to repopulate to max (just like a higher BR would reduce time needed to repop, I guess.) Not sure if I understood Danrelle correctly but thats how I read it.

On topic: hosps vs banks depends a lot on your race/pers combo, and your playing style. The more expensive your elites, and the more you attack, the more sense hospitals make. So orc tactician might want hospitals. Human merchant might want banks because, you know. In general, the advantage of hospitals is that you save troops right there, right then. Those troops are immediately available to defend/attack again. With banks/arms on the other hand, you have to retrain, which takes soldiers but more importantly TIME. On the other hand, banks give you a bonus all the time, whether you are attacking/being attacked or not, and you can use those gc's for anything (as opposed to just troops).

Enthusiast
    Yup, that's what I meant. Thanks for your post.

I guess I've formed an opinion about the topic now.
    In War, population to some extent and especially military troops are a very good indicator of whether you're winning or losing. This is partly because they show prov power, partly because they are not easy to change/do not fluctuate as much as say, land or NW.
    Since Hosps effectively provide population in form of already trained troops, I guess they should be better in War compared to Banks. Probably worth maxing out then, which is likely why Clerics are reported to be so good.

However, if you have good BR and cheap elites, Hosps seem to be less attractive compared to Arms/Banks. Also Clerics would be worse, compared to Merchants.

A piece of advice for the Halfer/Clerics out there.

Also a piece of advice for the Avian/Merchants or Orc/Merchants who want to be War oriented.
    Last edited by Danrelle; 19-10-2011 at 21:31.

Hospitals also save you draft cost, i didnt see anyone mention that.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrelle View Post
    And they give you soldiers as well
    but good to highlight!

If you just say that Cleric = Hospitals, then you're going to be underestimating the value of the personality's buffs. -50% losses, yes, is basically having a crap ton of hospitals, but the losses returned as soldiers is another bonus. You're not only "saving soldiers" (aka saving drafting costs) from the reduced losses, but all losses are "saved soldiers" and all you have to invest in the retraining costs/time.

As for Halfer/Cleric, if you're attacking often as a Halfling and/or are the target of a chain, then you're going to be worn down very quickly if you don't have Cleric as your personality since you can't access hospitals. Having 150k defense w/30k in training (over 15 hours) after 10 hits is > than having 100k defense w/ 70k in training (over 15 hours)

Thread Information