Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts from a Vet

Quote Originally Posted by barbrolie View Post
    We already live in the gray area between complete governmental control over our lives, and the complete lack of any legal oversight. There are countries in the world right now where the experiment of not having an overarching government is being carried out, and the results are not so spectacular. I would like to draw your attention to Somalia, and other places like that.

Don't misunderstand. I am in no way saying that all legal control is bad. No matter how much I may hate to admit it, it's both a combination of self control, and knowledge of the law that are keeping me from going next door and beating the hell out of my neighbor, because I have to listen to his child crying on a near perpetual basis. I don't know the reason, I don't care what the reason is, I am just sick of it.

That being said, Somalia is a far cry from all first world countries in more ways than just it's lack of government oversight. We could start with it's economy, availability of paying work, etc. While some may call this the fault of it's government, I call it the fault of it's citizenry. Would YOU open a business or branch in a place with a reputation like that?

Besides, comparing evolutionary vestiges to the evolution of government, while catchy, is a very flawed argument. A system of government is something adopted by a society to fix problems that arose without said system. These things change on a time scale different from evolution, and are much more sensitive and reflective of what people actually want than evolutionary events. Surely you know this, and were joking when you compared government to the vestigial tail, but I thought I'd respond anyways.

Yes, it was intended to be a humorous analogy. I was hoping you wouldn't take that literally, and I am glad that you didn't. However, it's not entirely inaccurate. Government in general, like evolution, has a nasty habit of taking on a life of it's own, especially over long periods of time. We are seeing that a lot now.

What's more important is that we, in the United States, are seeing a lot more 'blind' voting being performed on major bills by our Congress. The Patriot Act and PPCA are two of the more notorious examples. Neither of which have made the American people very happy, when you look at the broad scale of things. This just proves that government, even when started with noble intentions, eventually becomes a corrupt monstrosity. It only gets worse down the line.

Does your VAT also include the electricity distribution costs that goes into producing food? Fertilizer? Irrigation? Transportation? VAT, by definition, is workable for value addition, not for value creation. The dude who lives in a shack still benefits from the electric distribution grid each time he does essentially anything. Besides, if said person is completely isolated from the economic world, so isolated that he doesn't have electricity, chances are he doesn't pay tax anyways.

Besides, even if we were to implement this VAT on everything, we would need to find the money to pay the bureaucracy to administer this tax. Where does money come for that? Would we start paying VAT to pay for a bureaucracy to maintain our freedom to not pay tax on things we don't want to consume? Seems like a waste to me.

I perhaps misspoke when I placed VAT onto electricity. That would be more of a 'usage' tax, and here, is primarily handled by locales and private companies anyway...even Co-ops in many areas. There is little to no Federal involvement in this area to begin with.

As for needing a bureaucracy to handle said taxes...not in the least. If the government actually ran an efficiency check across all of it's systems right now, I am sure it would find that at LEAST 60% of the people it already employs could be let go.

For example, I work for a contractor that works for the state Department of Transportation. On any given day, we have three state workers hanging around, who's only jobs are to collect asphalt tickets, take brief looks at the quality of work, and then do paperwork at the end of the day. That's three salaries of roughly $45,000 per year, three state vehicle burning fuel paid for by taxes, three retirement packages funded by taxes, etc. This job could VERY easily (and was very easily) performed by one person per job site for decades.

You're right here. The social security age needs to be raised, there is no question about that. And it needs to be raised progressively, I would think, by about 10 years over the next 10 years.

My problem with it is now, and will always be that it is forced. It should not be my, nor anyone else's responsibility to cover the living expenses of those who did not have either the means or foresight to save money. It just falls under 'not my ****ing problem'. They had the same amount of time to make something of their life as everyone else, considering that they lived to be old enough to collect.

Not to mention, the fact that it relies on death without collection, in order to be sustained makes it a flawed system. Honestly, if Social Security worked as a 'collection' account, much like a bank, where they take my money, make more money off of it, then give it back to be in dollar for dollar amounts at a later time, I would be fine with that. If I died before I could collect, the money would have to be given to my family, not rolled back into the system.

However, if you compare the pay in versus the pay out of the average person who is now collecting a check from it, you would see that they are, in essence, living off of the modern generation. They have become social parasites, and rather unattractive ones at that. I don't care if Elsie May has to die behind a cash register, or with a wrench in her hand at age 90 because she didn't save money. Again, not my problem.

As I've said before, I am the 'if you don't work you don't eat' guy in the room, and that extends to everyone. If you cannot save money, or did not do something with your life that was of enough value to a capitalist society to get wealthy, then keep working, or starve.
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryshad View Post
    I come from a long line of people who have served my country in war an peace. My grandmother was a drill instructor for the Army in WWII, my grandfather landed on Normandy. My father served in Vietnam on an aircraft carrier for the Navy. I have 1 brother that is still in the Marine Corps, one that retired 2 years ago and one that gave his life in Afghanistan. I served in the Marine Corps from 90-95. During my time I had 9 buddy I watched die in combat, 2 of which were under my command. I was fortunate enough to get out with all my fingers an toes attached, though shrapnel took most the feeling out of my left hand.

Since I have been out of the service I have been blessed. I have 4 beautiful daughters, one cranky ex wife and one very sexy girlfriend. During my divorce I sold my construction company that I started for enough money I could put my 4 kids through college. I currently own a janitorial company that allows me to work 4 days a week yet still can afford the luxury to travel an enjoy my life. I enjoy playing Utopia, poker an taking my kids to the amusement park.

Not a day goes by that I don't spend at least a few moments remembering my time in the service, both good an bad. I use to look at my kids and think that the sacrifices the men an women in the service make everyday was worth the freedoms we now enjoy. Then last night I was on a new IRC channel, talking with some fellow Utopians and I found myself in this conversation:

[00:50] <@octobrev> were you previously suggesting that those murderers we send overseas are somehow heroes?
    [00:50] <@octobrev> they should be shot in the back of the head for coming back to us soil
    [00:50] <Ovenmitt> are you suggesting war hero implied any particular side or team?
    [00:50] <%MIPO> oh
    [00:51] <%MIPO> thats harsh @ octo
    [00:51] <@octobrev> its true
    [00:51] <Ryshad> <@octobrev> were you previously suggesting that those murderers we send overseas are somehow heroes? <@octobrev> they should be shot in the back of the head for coming back to us soil <<<<---- what?
    [00:51] <@octobrev> the majority of homeless people are veterans
    [00:52] <Ryshad> And you live in the US Oct?
    [00:52] <@octobrev> yeah
    [00:52] <Ovenmitt> there are a [bunch] of homeless vets here in wa
    [00:52] <Ryshad> And you say "<@octobrev> were you previously suggesting that those murderers we send overseas are somehow heroes? <@octobrev> they should be shot in the back of the head for coming back to us soil "?
    [00:52] <Ovenmitt> i'm a vet, and i haev no sympathy for most of those clowns
    [00:52] <@octobrev> 100%
    [00:52] * %MIPO walks away from octo slowly before fbi shows up
    [00:52] <@octobrev> how can we celebrate murder in one hand and punish it in the other
    [00:53] <Ryshad> Those men an women are the reason you can sit on your [butt] an play this game.
    [00:53] <Ovenmitt> problem is homeless vets want to blame 'the system' or what the hell ever, when its their own [freaking] fault
    [00:53] <%MIPO> False @ Ryshad
    [00:53] <Ovenmitt> you're a [freaking] veteran, but that doesnt make you special or entitled to any kind of handout
    [00:53] <Ryshad> I am a veteran.
    [00:53] <Ovenmitt> get a job you bum, may apply.
    [00:53] <Ryshad> And I dont ask [freaking] thing from you or anyone
    [00:53] <Ryshad> Never have
    [00:53] <Ryshad> never will
    [00:53] <%MIPO> whoa try getting shot at all day
    [00:53] <%MIPO> I wouldn't work a day after that
    [00:53] <@octobrev> i dont think i would hire a veteran
    [00:54] <@octobrev> they tend to be unstable
    [00:54] <Ovenmitt> most veterans are bad workers
    [00:54] <%MIPO> duh
    [00:54] <Ovenmitt> because most soldiers are bad workers
    [00:54] <@Aventador> im surprised, Ovenmitt is an army dude he has great grammar skills
    [00:54] <@octobrev> so in terms of net happiness
    [00:54] <Ryshad> I can say I am [freaking] flabbergasted
    [00:54] <@octobrev> my solution works
    [00:54] <Ryshad> [expletive] you
    [00:54] <%MIPO> No it doesn't
    [00:54] <Ovenmitt> lol
    [00:54] <@octobrev> we solve problems on both fronts
    [00:55] <%MIPO> then nobody will want to fight in the army
    [00:55] <@octobrev> exactly
    [00:55] <@Aventador> Ryshad , did you lose a left midddle finger? i notice you cant seem to spell words with a 'd' properly

Well - no Aventador, I didn't lose a finger. I caught shrapnel in my hand when a mortar round landed in the school playground were we where patrolling. The Marine next to me an the 2 little kids he was talking to weren't so fortunate. None of them made it home,

At first I was really really upset by Octo an Mittens attitude. I had to think about it though and my opinion has changed. I can say I don't respect either of them like I use to. I can say I respect their right to voice their opinion though. After all, it was me and my family that fought so hard to give them that right.

wow...

Ovenmitt and Octobrev represent the opinions of 19th century US and UK, I'm shocked to see such ignorance today in the 21st century. This is why voting should not be a right, you should QUALIFY to vote, with ignorance being one such criterium to disqualify you from voting. This is not about their opinions on Iraq or Afghanistan, but all the other disturbing opinions they voice, such as their opinions on homeless people. If they knew just a tiny bit of history, they would know such opinions were discarded late 19th century-very early 20th century. This is why education and HISTORY is so important, in order to not do the same mistakes over and over again. Very few people choose to be poor.

Also, though we may not agree with a war, we should always support the soldiers who fight in it on our side. They are not to blame, blame the politicians and the people who voted for them.

Octobrev and ovenmitt must be americans, no other society promotes attitudes like that. Very disturbing.

Edit: Then again, they migh be very young? Around 16-18 maybe? That might explan their complete lack of fundamental society knowledge.
    Last edited by stoffi; 31-12-2011 at 12:54.
    ABS vs Rangers

Also, though we may not agree with a war, we should always support the soldiers who fight in it on our side. They are not to blame, blame the politicians and the people who voted for them.
    They are to blame when the amongst other thing kill civilian people. Soldiers are no heroes, its just a work like any other work, do you support the guy that picks up your trash for example, hes a more fundemental and important person in your life.

Octobrev and ovenmitt must be americans, no other society promotes attitudes like that. Very disturbing.
    You mean americans promotes anti-war attitudes and hate the soldiers they send off to war? :) Man you should try and read those logs again..

Dont necro dead threads!

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post

You mean americans promotes anti-war attitudes and hate the soldiers they send off to war? :) Man you should try and read those logs again..

Dont necro dead threads!
    If you read what I wrote, you will see you made a few mistakes while answering. No, I am not talking about what you are commenting. Read again.

Do you harass garbage men? Do you harass ppl who do the kind of jobs you disagree with? That is wrong in all its sense. You don't have to cheer the, but they are not to blame unless they through their job do criminal offences, such as killing innocent ppl on purpose. The vast majority of American soldiers do NOT kill innocent ppl on purpose.

Again, blame yourself for voting Bush. Blame yourself for voting war. (Though I know Korp is swedish?) That is why I think everyone should not be allowed to vote because the are too ignorant about anything but their own 5 feet radius.
    ABS vs Rangers

can't really call anyone that represented USA in Afghanistan and Iraq war veterans, octobrev is right they are murderers. World War I and War II and korean War are true veterans they fought for everyone's freedom not for oil or bank of america or corporate america so you Ryshad should be ashamed of yourself for even comparing yourself to my grandfathers that served in WWII you're nothing but a glorified bully with a gun

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by black_mamba View Post
    can't really call anyone that represented USA in Afghanistan and Iraq war veterans, octobrev is right they are murderers. World War I and War II and korean War are true veterans they fought for everyone's freedom not for oil or bank of america or corporate america so you Ryshad should be ashamed of yourself for even comparing yourself to my grandfathers that served in WWII you're nothing but a glorified bully with a gun
    He's just been doing his job, he did not decide who to invade, no need to blame him.

Comparing WWII with Iraq though, that's way off. The Iraq war was a mistake and was all about oil, Israel and incompetence. I can't believe how USA can have Israeli citizens in the White House planning a war for them, conflict interest.

But still, the soldiers are doing their job like everyone else. And as with everyone else, some of them will be criminals and commit crimes.
    ABS vs Rangers

then they can't be referred to as veterans since it has different connotations, they shouldn't be labelled as heroes either.
    and since you labelled them as following orders then they are mercenary since it's all about the money and mercenary are normally murderers then they are that. how do you really differ them from terrorist? they are also following orders in fact most are force to join since their family are threaten or killed if they don't fulfill their missions

Forum Addict
    then they can't be referred to as veterans since it has different connotations, they shouldn't be labelled as heroes either.
    and since you labelled them as following orders then they are mercenary since it's all about the money and mercenary are normally murderers then they are that. how do you really differ them from terrorist? they are also following orders in fact most are force to join since their family are threaten or killed if they don't fulfill their missions
    The definition of a veteran is someone who's been a soldier in a war, so you can't take that away from them. Veteran comes from War Veteran, and they have been at war.

As for hero, I agree. Although, if a soldier does something priceworthy like savin all his soldier friends from certain death, that guy can be labelled a war hero based on that isolated event.

How do you differ soldiers from terrorists? A very good question! In today's USA, everyone can be labelled terrorist and held forever. Really apalling to watch how the terrorist term is being misused like that.

A nation can also commit terroristic acts and I'd say there's a thin line in many cases. Who's the real terrorist? I'd say someone who clearly aims to kill civilians or does not care if civilians get hurt is a terrorist. Bombing weddings by MISTAKE is not defined as terrorism in my book, it will have to be deliberate or just that they don't care who they kill.
    So, in Israel-Palestine, who's the terrorist? Both obviously, as both sides target civilians on purpose(not so much recently).

But then again, during WWII, the Allies targetted civilians in a large scale during their bombing of Germany, and when the US nuked Japan. Even then, many ppl were opposed to targetting civilians like that. So, were the Allies and the US terroristic during WWII? One clearly superior side targetting the civilians of the other clearly weaker side who were about to lose the war. These bombings of civilians mostly took place after the war was pretty much decided and it was only a matter of time before we won.

How about Turkey's extermination of Greeks or Armenians? Or Soviet's extermination of various people groups?

Difficult questions to answer. Some would say no, some would say yes. It's up to each and all to make up their mind.

Today, the term 'Terrorist' is very much abused by the Western world, especially in the US and Israel.

But that still doesn't mean the soldiers fighting are doing anything wrong. They got orders, they do their jobs and as with the rest of the population, the vast majority will not kill innocent people.
    ABS vs Rangers

Veteran
    World War I and War II and korean War are true veterans they fought for everyone's freedom not for oil or bank of america or corporate america
    http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...948787,00.html
    wat? where is my oil and monies? are we that incompetent that we can pwn around the entire world but not get the girl in the end? .-. makes me wonder what the world does when amerika has pwnage powers and doesn't get the girl. Do teh world even gets teh girl? probably not. she's probably whoring it up with lead-based paint, but pure speculation on my part, never seen teh girl. or my monies i spent on her.

Do you harass garbage men? Do you harass ppl who do the kind of jobs you disagree with? That is wrong in all its sense. You don't have to cheer the, but they are not to blame unless they through their job do criminal offences, such as killing innocent ppl on purpose. The vast majority of American soldiers do NOT kill innocent ppl on purpose.
    So its okey to murder innocent people as long as you dont do it on purpose? Gotcha!

Again, blame yourself for voting Bush. Blame yourself for voting war. (Though I know Korp is swedish?) That is why I think everyone should not be allowed to vote because the are too ignorant about anything but their own 5 feet radius.
    Now you are just retarded, why would you even begin to think I am american?

He's just been doing his job, he did not decide who to invade, no need to blame him.
    Thats what they said in Nurnberg 44 they just followed orders why are they to blame?

Veteran
    So its okey to murder innocent people as long as you dont do it on purpose? Gotcha!
    US soldiers who murder innocent people get sent to jail. If it's not on purpose, it's not murder; l2dictionary. Basically, Korp, you're saying that it's okay to hack if it's not on purpose, being that hacking would be receiving information from various places. You do it simply by going to google .-.
    Thats what they said in Nurnberg 44 they just followed orders why are they to blame?
    Yeah, and those people were supported by their government and were not going to receive repercussions for their actions. Sounds familiar? Granted, they lost the war. Who polices US? US does.

War is an economic motivator. Ofc you cannot blame the individuals involved. Profit driven monetary society and bordered, segregated economic systems is to blame. I look at the mortality rate of starvation per second on this earth, then look at the 2010 US military budget.... and cry. We are doing something wrong here. Pointless bickering about individual soldiers actions is not helping, aye.
    Last edited by BiGs; 11-01-2012 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuriho View Post
    Who polices US? US does.
    This happens to be one of the main reasons why so many people Hate Americans. The arrogance to claim that you can judge your own without any prejudice.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hague_Invasion_Act
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Veteran
    Yes, Landro. Yet who contests us? Nobody, really. Maybe in the future when we get weaker and all y'all get stronger, someone will be able to contest that.
    Besides, "one" of the main reasons why so many people hate Americans, yet there are more. So how can we be guaranteed that the Judge and Jury of another countries trial will not have any prejudice? We cannot; as you state, many people hate us.

So how can we be guaranteed that the Judge and Jury of another countries trial will not have any prejudice?
    If you turn that around, why would US find US guilty then? Is that better than, how is that justices if there is never in your best interest to get punished.

Thread Information