I come from a long line of people who have served my country in war an peace. My grandmother was a drill instructor for the Army in WWII, my grandfather landed on Normandy. My father served in Vietnam on an aircraft carrier for the Navy. I have 1 brother that is still in the Marine Corps, one that retired 2 years ago and one that gave his life in Afghanistan. I served in the Marine Corps from 90-95. During my time I had 9 buddy I watched die in combat, 2 of which were under my command. I was fortunate enough to get out with all my fingers an toes attached, though shrapnel took most the feeling out of my left hand.

Since I have been out of the service I have been blessed. I have 4 beautiful daughters, one cranky ex wife and one very sexy girlfriend. During my divorce I sold my construction company that I started for enough money I could put my 4 kids through college. I currently own a janitorial company that allows me to work 4 days a week yet still can afford the luxury to travel an enjoy my life. I enjoy playing Utopia, poker an taking my kids to the amusement park.

Not a day goes by that I don't spend at least a few moments remembering my time in the service, both good an bad. I use to look at my kids and think that the sacrifices the men an women in the service make everyday was worth the freedoms we now enjoy. Then last night I was on a new IRC channel, talking with some fellow Utopians and I found myself in this conversation:

[00:50] <@octobrev> were you previously suggesting that those murderers we send overseas are somehow heroes?
[00:50] <@octobrev> they should be shot in the back of the head for coming back to us soil
[00:50] <Ovenmitt> are you suggesting war hero implied any particular side or team?
[00:50] <%MIPO> oh
[00:51] <%MIPO> thats harsh @ octo
[00:51] <@octobrev> its true
[00:51] <Ryshad> <@octobrev> were you previously suggesting that those murderers we send overseas are somehow heroes? <@octobrev> they should be shot in the back of the head for coming back to us soil <<<<---- what?
[00:51] <@octobrev> the majority of homeless people are veterans
[00:52] <Ryshad> And you live in the US Oct?
[00:52] <@octobrev> yeah
[00:52] <Ovenmitt> there are a [bunch] of homeless vets here in wa
[00:52] <Ryshad> And you say "<@octobrev> were you previously suggesting that those murderers we send overseas are somehow heroes? <@octobrev> they should be shot in the back of the head for coming back to us soil "?
[00:52] <Ovenmitt> i'm a vet, and i haev no sympathy for most of those clowns
[00:52] <@octobrev> 100%
[00:52] * %MIPO walks away from octo slowly before fbi shows up
[00:52] <@octobrev> how can we celebrate murder in one hand and punish it in the other
[00:53] <Ryshad> Those men an women are the reason you can sit on your [butt] an play this game.
[00:53] <Ovenmitt> problem is homeless vets want to blame 'the system' or what the hell ever, when its their own [freaking] fault
[00:53] <%MIPO> False @ Ryshad
[00:53] <Ovenmitt> you're a [freaking] veteran, but that doesnt make you special or entitled to any kind of handout
[00:53] <Ryshad> I am a veteran.
[00:53] <Ovenmitt> get a job you bum, may apply.
[00:53] <Ryshad> And I dont ask [freaking] thing from you or anyone
[00:53] <Ryshad> Never have
[00:53] <Ryshad> never will
[00:53] <%MIPO> whoa try getting shot at all day
[00:53] <%MIPO> I wouldn't work a day after that
[00:53] <@octobrev> i dont think i would hire a veteran
[00:54] <@octobrev> they tend to be unstable
[00:54] <Ovenmitt> most veterans are bad workers
[00:54] <%MIPO> duh
[00:54] <Ovenmitt> because most soldiers are bad workers
[00:54] <@Aventador> im surprised, Ovenmitt is an army dude he has great grammar skills
[00:54] <@octobrev> so in terms of net happiness
[00:54] <Ryshad> I can say I am [freaking] flabbergasted
[00:54] <@octobrev> my solution works
[00:54] <Ryshad> [expletive] you
[00:54] <%MIPO> No it doesn't
[00:54] <Ovenmitt> lol
[00:54] <@octobrev> we solve problems on both fronts
[00:55] <%MIPO> then nobody will want to fight in the army
[00:55] <@octobrev> exactly
[00:55] <@Aventador> Ryshad , did you lose a left midddle finger? i notice you cant seem to spell words with a 'd' properly

Well - no Aventador, I didn't lose a finger. I caught shrapnel in my hand when a mortar round landed in the school playground were we where patrolling. The Marine next to me an the 2 little kids he was talking to weren't so fortunate. None of them made it home,

At first I was really really upset by Octo an Mittens attitude. I had to think about it though and my opinion has changed. I can say I don't respect either of them like I use to. I can say I respect their right to voice their opinion though. After all, it was me and my family that fought so hard to give them that right.