Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese whaling

Because legally they are allowed to kill a certain amount of whales.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Am i legally allowed to kill a certain amount of whales?

In southwest west australia there have been a few people killed by sharks this year and the governments response was to impliment a catch and kill policy on large great white sharks in the area. It is a double standard if people are allowed to use explosives, nets and harpoons on sea creatures yet when a few people get taken by sharks we impliment a culling operation.

Personally i think if the Japanese have eaten all their own sea creatures they should have to deal with it, i see no reason to shoot explosive tipped harpoons at whales for 'scientific research' - are they researching the effects of explosives on whales? what are their results? that whales blow apart and bleed prousely when struck with an explosive charge? how does that help science?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    Am i legally allowed to kill a certain amount of whales?

In southwest west australia there have been a few people killed by sharks this year and the governments response was to impliment a catch and kill policy on large great white sharks in the area. It is a double standard if people are allowed to use explosives, nets and harpoons on sea creatures yet when a few people get taken by sharks we impliment a culling operation.

Personally i think if the Japanese have eaten all their own sea creatures they should have to deal with it, i see no reason to shoot explosive tipped harpoons at whales for 'scientific research' - are they researching the effects of explosives on whales? what are their results? that whales blow apart and bleed prousely when struck with an explosive charge? how does that help science?
    Not to kind of piss on your parade here, but think about it this way. I am sure that if whales and sharks had the societal and cognitive abilities to form a 'kill squad' to overturn these boats and eat or drown everyone on them, they would.

As for their use of explosives...please tell me if you find a more humane way to kill something that's the size of a large building. ;)
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

I dont think there is any reason to kill the whales personally, that's that.

It isn't scientific research, it is just asians lying to people and slaughtering whales. It is bullocks, the asians have eaten everything in their own lands and waters and now they are spreading out and eating everything else that moves.

A more human way to something as big as a large building? hmm ... perhaps a giant hot-shot of heroine?

That is some hilarious racism. The Japanese have been whaling for almost a millennium.

"Japan maintains that annual whaling is sustainable and necessary for scientific study and management of whale stocks. Japan also argues that objections to whaling are based upon cultural differences and emotional anthropomorphism"

Ring any bells?

I must be said though that japan continues to whale by granting itself permission to do so -something that is definitely shady.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    I must be said though that japan continues to whale by granting itself permission to do so -something that is definitely shady.
    Isn't that what pretty much every country does now, with various things that much of the international world appears to disagree with?
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Yes, the argument is that a sovereign nation is allowed to be sovereign - so the voluntary whaling group they are involved in cannot really tell them what to do.

Precisely. Though, as I said, if they are actually invading another country's waters, they should be driven out if the other country does not want them there.

However, I feel that the migratory argument brought up earlier is crap. That would be like saying you feel that your neighbor's mousetraps are wrong because they kill YOUR mice...who happen to wander into your neighbor's house.
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

the migratory argument is not my own, i just think it is a shame whales are being subjected to high explosives in the name of 'science' that is all

Why, are high explosives not efficient?

You think whales being blown apart for science is wrong? Let's not even get started on what billions of lab rats have had to go through to get our medical field where it is today.

The general consensus seems to be: if it helps our own species, to hell with the others' suffering. So, even if any of your arguments held weight, they would mostly fall upon deaf ears.
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

sigh

i might just bite my tongue mate, perhaps you should research the issue before posting ...

You brought this up :/

I understand your point, and from the individual perspective it could work. However, it is difficult for society as a whole to demonize whaling as cruel, while thinking that the testing of poisons, medications, radiation, etc. on rats is perfectly fine. It's not hard for many people to look down upon whaling, as they themselves do not eat the meat, or use any products containing it.

However, the Japanese obviously do use said things, and telling them it's bad would be the equivalent of them telling you that learning the effects of substances that you may one day use to better your health is bad, because the testing was done on rats, often in ways that make whaling deaths look pretty tame. Ever seen what happens to an animal when it's intentionally given radiation poisoning? Or rattlesnake venom in slow doses to find the L.D. 50 so a decent anti-venom can be made?
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

there is no scientific research being done

what could they discover from their experiments? they might discover that whales bleed when shot and stabbed. It is not science. It is harvesting done in another countries water's under the guise of scientific experimentation.

by the same logic australia could send commandoes into Japan and start killing their cattle and livestock and bringing the meat back home to Australia for 'scientific research'.

it just $hits me that the australian government is so weak and lame as not to do anything about it.

Thread Information