Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fat Tax

I never said that the most brilliant among us in various fields don't meet unfortunate endings. However, even most of those deaths could be attributed to a catching a case of 'the stupid'. Jimi Hendrix and Bon Scott come to mind. ;)
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

The best do not die young at all, my grandmother was 72. It is just that when the best/good people die young we notice it much more.

''Denmark now taxes foods that are high in saturated fat. A move designed to reduce obesity and the social issues it causes, or a blatant money maker'' ?

In my opinion probably both, i guess it is a matter of if the profits are spent on health and excersice programs or not. I am only 68kg and i am
    rather fit and healthy, although that by no means that i shall live a long time. Weight is a personal issue anyway, perhaps the government/s could simply focus on more important issues such as the starving rather than the overweight.

I do not care what the U.S Congress says lol pizza is not a vegetable. It is a pastry/pie.
    Last edited by scorpio86; 09-12-2011 at 15:35. Reason: damn tyos
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Post Fiend
    somehow i can't see your grandma being up there with Alexander, Caesar, Lennon, Shakespear, Orwell, Pushkin, Van Gogh, Martin Luther King, Tupac, JFK, Presley, Marley and Lee on the list of the worlds greatest people.

however yes im sure she was a lovely person.

Thin line between stupid and brave.

You did not know my grandmother, she made very nice cakes! lol

I disagree with Ceaser being great, also Van Gogh, Tupac and Elvis Presley.

fools make cowards of us all ...
    Last edited by scorpio86; 09-12-2011 at 16:02. Reason: damn typos
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Post Fiend
    I disagree with Ceaser being great, also Van Gogh, Tupac and Elvis Presley.
    You may but the majority of the western world disagree with you so i'm going to have to side with them.

Tupac is not only the best rapper in history he also presented a positive message to the world and was heavily influential in the black community.

Caesar's acheivements are too many to even begin to start explaining but i guess until you have studied him you may not appreciate them.

Van Gogh's art is pretty amazing and his story inspirational..

Presley's fan base speaks for itself and so does the fact that lennon, bob dylan, mic jagger, rod stewart etc have said he was a major influence on them

Say what you will about those three, but they revolutionized their respective fields. If it weren't for Elvis and Tupac, you might not be able to turn on your TV at any given moment and see hot women shaking their asses in your face. Whether or not that's good or bad is a matter of perspective. ;)
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

I happily and strongly disagree with you imp! !!!

Also i dont watch things like that on tv, that is what the internet is for.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Rofl...same point. Do you have any idea of what the standards of 'decency' in America were before Elvis came along? I'll go out on a limb and even say that 90% of what is on the internet wouldn't be viewable in the U.S. if not for his gyrations softening up the crowd 50 years prior. ;)
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

wtf are you saying the Elvis is responsible for adult material being on the internet? what are you smoking Gallowmere? lol

i sense you are implying he caused some sort of a sexual awakening in society, perhaps he did, i was born in 1986 and i live in australia so i really am not sure about that. certainly as time goes on western societes are becoming more sexually expressive but i am pretty sure that is a 'team effort'

i am certain the people responsible for the internet would have 'added rude bits' whether or not Elvis Presly swung his hips about.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

I wasn't necessarily talking about 'adult material' specifically, and I was more talking about such things being 'acceptable'.

Seriously...have a look at European TV one day compared to what America has to offer. They get naked boobies on attractive women...we get 'Super Nanny'. It's not fair I tell you. It's like we are living in a country that's really a convent. ;)

Holy hell this got way off-topic.
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

What does the difference in American and European tv have to do with Elvis Presley starting a sexual revolution via the television and internet? ???

Yeah this is a thread about Fat Taxes lol
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post

I notice that you mentioned age, and I happen to agree with you. I had the misfortune of having a morbidly obese mother who didn't care what kind if garbage food she fed her children. Pair that with the slothfest that is public education, and you can imagine what happened. It took me five years after moving out on my own to finally get my body back in good working order. I went on a rant in another thread about bad parenting choices, so I'll avoid doing so again here.

Age holds no bearing though. Some people grasp things well before age 18. Others could live to be 100, and they'll never get it. Though the most stupid tend to live rather short lives anyway.
    That's good though, that you managed to teach yourself how to take care of your body somewhat. No one's asking anyone to be a supermodel and fit like a tiger, but as long as you're not risking deceases because you're too fat. :p

Quote Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
    Objection your honour!... Go **** yourself im 18

The best die young gallowmere.... don't make me bring up a list to prove it, it will only make me sad
    I'm sorry, but it's established that your brain isn't fully developed until many years later and that goes especially for important areas like the one we are discussing here.

"Prior to full brain development children exhibit the following behaviors more coincidentally vs. consistently:
    ? Decision making
    ? Use of appropriate judgment
    ? Rational thinking
    ? Integration of emotion & critical thinking
    ? Ability to think clearly about long-term outcomes that stem from behaviors
    ? Global thinking vs. self-centered thinking
    "

As you see, a random 18 year old is not fully developed in all of the above, which is why we see a lot of young criminals and car crashers. Also, if you ask your elders, you will often hear about things they regret doing as young, which is because their brain wasn't fully developed.

I'm not saying you're stupid or anything, you're just not an adult yet. :P

http://www.examiner.com/parenting-ed...lops-by-age-25
    http://www.biology-online.org/biolog...bout22675.html
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...n-fully-mature

Obviously, the brain developes differently with everyone and you might be fully developed for all I know.

:P

Ergo, I wouldn't want an 18 year old to decide whether or not he should live outside society and not get medical help if he were to get sick and die from it unless treated, because he would be too young to grasp fully what he's doing.
    ABS vs Rangers

Post Fiend
    You can say what you like and link me to as many bull**** psychologytoday articles as you want....

Call me arrogant for presuming I am as capable as your average capable adult but I in turn call you and whoever else thinks they can understand and generalise the brain development of 18 year olds more arrogant. Especially on **** that can't be measured empircally like:

? Decision making
    ? Use of appropriate judgment
    ? Rational thinking
    ? Integration of emotion & critical thinking
    ? Ability to think clearly about long-term outcomes that stem from behaviors
    ? Global thinking vs. self-centered thinking
    There is a reason the psychology is not considered a science and is somewhat unrespected by the scientific community. Yes it is a valuable field of research and yes it is important to look into the human mind but don't come at me with theories presented as facts. Despite you thinking otherwise, I am not fooled that easily.

FOR EXAMPLE

In a recent paper in the Journal of Neuroscience, investigators described a study in which they monitored white matter changes in 103 healthy human subjects, ages 5 to 32 years. For each subject, they imaged the brain at least twice with an average period of four years between scans. Some tracts, such as sections of the corpus callosum, appeared to reach maturity during adolescence, but, in about 50 % of the older subjects, the association fiber tracts continued to mature. These fiber tracts may be important for the performance of complex cognitive tasks. Does the development of these pathways vary with experience and training, and can these tracts continue to grow throughout life?
    WTF does this conclude? Half hearted budget research that ends it's conclusion with an unfounded assumption and a question? Next...

The human brain fully develops by the age of six. After that the brain does not grow or develop though new neural circuits may form or break relating to the amount of learning that takes place or memories that form.
    Why did you reference something that argues against your case?.... anyway i can't confirm what this dude on the forum says is true or not so next..

For the study, Baird and graduate student Craig Bennett looked at the brains of nineteen 18-year-old Dartmouth students who had moved more than 100 miles to attend college. A control group of 17 older students, ranging in age from 25 to 35, were also studied for comparison.
    "The brain of an 18-year-old college freshman is still far from resembling the brain of someone in their mid-twenties," says Bennett. "When do we reach adulthood? It might be much later than we traditionally think."
    I had to dig a bit deeper into your links to even find evidence of research being done.... and then i find this bull****, the conclusion of which: 'might be much later than we tradionally think'....

ERGO don't tell me that 'I see' anything because I don't. And also don't tell me, a legal taxpaying adult, that i am biologically incapable of making a decision for myself.

The problem with some people older than me is they think that their years alive command respect. They ****ing don't. Acheive something worthy and then I will show you additional respect on top of the general level of respect i show every human being, no matter their age.
    Last edited by The Imp; 10-12-2011 at 20:27.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
    You can say what you like and link me to as many bull**** psychologytoday articles as you want....

Call me arrogant for presuming I am as capable as your average capable adult but I in turn call you and whoever else thinks they can understand and generalise the brain development of 18 year olds more arrogant. Especially on **** that can't be measured empircally like:

There is a reason the psychology is not considered a science and is somewhat unrespected by the scientific community. Yes it is a valuable field of research and yes it is important to look into the human mind but don't come at me with theories presented as facts. Despite you thinking otherwise, I am not fooled that easily.

FOR EXAMPLE

WTF does this conclude? Half hearted budget research that ends it's conclusion with an unfounded assumption and a question? Next...

Why did you reference something that argues against your case?.... anyway i can't confirm what this dude on the forum says is true or not so next..

I had to dig a bit deeper into your links to even find evidence of research being done.... and then i find this bull****, the conclusion of which: 'might be much later than we tradionally think'....

ERGO don't tell me that 'I see' anything because I don't. And also don't tell me, a legal taxpaying adult, that i am biologically incapable of making a decision for myself.

The problem with some people older than me is they think that their years alive command respect. They ****ing don't. Acheive something worthy and then I will show you additional respect on top of the general level of respect i show every human being, no matter their age.
    The best sign of being an adult is when you know you don't know everything.

Btw, this is not only about psychology, this is neuroscience. You can measure it somewhat and it's pretty common knowledge that the brain isn't fully developed until you're up in your twenties. But ofc, we don't know everything about the brain yet. That being said, it doesn't mean YOU aren't fully developed, this is pretty general, but seeing your responce, I'd say your brain is 18 years old and needs another 7 years to be fully developed. ;) So I wouldn't make any lifeterm decisions yet if I were you. ;)

Don't get too caught up in the links, they were only 3 random links.

Myself, I'm 27, so who knows, maybe my brain is slow to develop and is 18 years old now. ;)

Btw, check this link, I was talking about car crashes earlier:

http://www.academic.marist.edu/mwwat...5/science1.htm
    "
    The continuous study uses magnetic resonance imaging to scan 2,000 people’s brains every two years. It has been found that teenage brains have extra synapses in the areas where decision making and risk assessment take place. Most of these synapses are useless and even get in the way of one’s judgment. Eventually, as teenagers become adults the synapses disappear, but the findings imply that many life choices are made before the brain’s decision making center is fully developed.
    "

This one is also interesting:

"http://www.ehow.com/facts_5817063_age-development-human-brain-complete_.html"

Notice the source, Ruben C. Gur, Ph.D., from the University of Pennsylvania

Also note how he says 21-22 unlike others who say 25.
    ABS vs Rangers

Post Fiend
    The best sign of being an adult is when you know you don't know everything.
    I havn't claimed to know anything, I am just saying that you have not proved a thing yet continue to patronise me because you think you can because your older.

but seeing your responce, I'd say your brain is 18 years old and needs another 7 years to be fully developed
    seeing by the fact i can put a convincing argument together yet you can't, i'd say you need to stop acting like you are a superior human being.

again your references are awful

The Facts

According to Ruben C. Gur, Ph.D., from the University of Pennsylvania, the human brain does not fully mature until age 21 or 22.
    That is the only fact the document gives? Are you actually seriously that stupid as to think this proves anything?

Some people are just amazingly easy to convince nowadays
    Last edited by The Imp; 11-12-2011 at 11:16.

Thread Information