Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bill: Marijuana Regulation, Taxation and Control Act

I didn't mean to imply that the processes were even remotely the same, because obviously, they are not. However, I would still say that the only heavily used drugs that are prone to severe abuse that qualify as completely unnatural are PCP, methamphetamine, prescription drugs, and that weird new crap that's eating Russians alive called 'Krokodil'. Look that stuff up if you're in the mood to see what a real life zombie might look like. It's pretty damned foul what it does to the body.

As I said though, I am not a fan of anti-drug regulation at any level, against any drug. It just annoys me when potheads try to act like their drug of choice isn't a drug, when it actually is. I don't care where it comes from, it's still a drug by every single definition.
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

I understand that plants can be used in the creation of drugs such as opium, coccaine etc, i have never touched these substances and i do not know much about them, nor do i wish to learn about them. My point is that marijuana is, in itself, a plant that grows as naturally as we do and therefore should not be illegal. Is this not attempted genocide of a species? As for drugs in general and the law, it is a bit of a bother that a select group of people decide which drugs shall be legal and which are against the law.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

HAH, cos the fact that its an unprocessed plant makes it ok?

Go out and get some magic mushrooms, they grow naturally without any cultivation. Eat them and see what happens.

Disclaimer: don't actually eat them.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Yeah, I ate some of those one while watching the South Park movie. BAD combination. I tried peyote years ago, as well. Case in point: just because something is a plant doesn't mean you should put it in your mouth.

Do I think they should be illegal? Nope. Do quite a lot of people? Yeap.

As for 'genocide' of a species...you do realize that a lot of humans have been trying to completely eradicate mosquitoes for decades, right? Just because something exists, doesn't mean that it serves any real purpose. ;)
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

actually, we have created a breed of mosquito that pass on a gene that removes the females ability to fly. Should eradicate that species in short order.

http://www.oxitec.com/2010/02/univer...-dengue-fever/
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I was more pointing out that the species could be eradicated without any negative impact on the ecosystem as a whole. However, that is awesome news.

For example, if marijuana were completely wiped from the planet, other species aren't going to start dying off or become massively overpopulated as a result. Well, maybe Grateful Dead fans would finally become extinct, but...nevermind. I'll leave it at that. xD
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Sorry for the double post. My phone is having a derp moment.
    Last edited by Gallowmere; 13-12-2011 at 16:52.
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

It is on my list of things to do Bishop, beleive me :-)
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    disclaimer: Don't actually eat them.
    lol
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

I can't wait for a bill like this to pass, I'm gonna start me a farm.

You do realize that with actual laws in place, you'd likely be taxed just as hard, if not harder than current small time farmers, right?
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Exactly. That's the point, generate revenue for the Government. But we'll still need the people to do the work and start farms anyways, even though with our climate the majority will be grown indoors (but i guess their still considered farms).
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

Quote Originally Posted by peteyb22 View Post
    Exactly. That's the point, generate revenue for the Government. But we'll still need the people to do the work and start farms anyways, even though with our climate the majority will be grown indoors (but i guess their still considered farms).
    Most definitely. Just because something isn't 100+ acres doesn't mean it isn't a farm. Most likely, it would work much like it does now. If you produce only enough for personal consumption, it's a 'garden'. If you sell the product, it's a 'farm'.

I am sure there will probably be acreage terms and things of that nature as well. Good luck convincing the feds that your 50 acre 'garden' is all for personal use. xD
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

I'll gladly pay the taxes. Even with it legalized and everyone trying, I still think it could be really profitable. I already grow a garden just for edible produce because I enjoy it, believe in self-sufficiency, etc, so why not put my sweat and time into a cash crop? Also, depending on where you live, being a farmer can have great tax benefits. In NY state if you can demonstrate $20,000 (it might be 10k I don't remember) of income derived from farm sales for two years straight you can become an official farm for tax purposes. Then you don't pay sales taxes on anything you buy you claim is related to the farm. And depending on how you do your taxes you can also write off other expenses. You can also have 'farm vehicles' that don't really need to be registered or inspected if you don't drive them more than 30 miles away from farm. There's plenty of exploitable regulations to go along with the taxes.

Not sure what prices are like around you guys, but say $2k/pound right now. Take 50% in taxes, and even say you cut the price down to 10% of what it is now because everyone's doing it. Last year I probably grew 200-300 pounds of produce. Take that down to 100, adjust for above said discounts, and I'm still making $10,000 off my summer hobby.

I don't even smoke the stuff anymore, but I'd sure love to sell it to those who do :D

Quote Originally Posted by Viien View Post
    I'll gladly pay the taxes. Even with it legalized and everyone trying, I still think it could be really profitable. I already grow a garden just for edible produce because I enjoy it, believe in self-sufficiency, etc, so why not put my sweat and time into a cash crop? Also, depending on where you live, being a farmer can have great tax benefits. In NY state if you can demonstrate $20,000 (it might be 10k I don't remember) of income derived from farm sales for two years straight you can become an official farm for tax purposes. Then you don't pay sales taxes on anything you buy you claim is related to the farm. And depending on how you do your taxes you can also write off other expenses. You can also have 'farm vehicles' that don't really need to be registered or inspected if you don't drive them more than 30 miles away from farm. There's plenty of exploitable regulations to go along with the taxes.

Not sure what prices are like around you guys, but say $2k/pound right now. Take 50% in taxes, and even say you cut the price down to 10% of what it is now because everyone's doing it. Last year I probably grew 200-300 pounds of produce. Take that down to 100, adjust for above said discounts, and I'm still making $10,000 off my summer hobby.

I don't even smoke the stuff anymore, but I'd sure love to sell it to those who do :D
    I have the distinct feeling that prices will tumble MASSIVELY, were it to become a completely legal commodity. Much of the cost of drugs right now is a risk assessment, considering that people could easily be locked up for having it.

Also, chances are good that there would be FDA involvement for 'quality' checks and things of that nature. I can't imagine what they would base their quality grades on, but my advice would be to bring in some experienced potheads who know good **** from bad. xD
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Thread Information