Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guard Stations

Guard Stations

I am quite noob to utopia but i am learning as quickly as possible, one thing i am noticing is that not many people use Guard Stations and i for one do not blame them.

Do any of you use Guard Stations?

I feel that the acres put into lessening the damage done if attacked and broken could be put to better use by having Forts to strengthen defence and not be broken in the first place.

?
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Regular
    GS is a MUST for pure attacker. hybrid may be get away with none, depending on setup. if your in ghetto dont waste your time. if your in a decent kingdom and you might see chaining then you need them or your useless to your kingdom first 12 hours of declaration...

EVERY attacker needs
    Training Grounds
    Barracks
    Guard Stations

Hybrid maybe get away with just TG depending on how your leaning, kingdom setup, strat...etc
    Last edited by krof; 04-12-2011 at 14:41.

Training Grounds, Barrracks and Guard Stations hey?

hmmm well i have two out of those three, i am an attacker theif, i just do not see why i should 'plump' 5% to 10% of my acres in GS when they could be Forts instead. Wouldn't it be better to strengthen my defences so that i don't get broken in the first place?

Yes i am noob :-)

My kingdom is rather ghetto, yo yo yo in the hood yo, popo try to shut me down yo but i dont play dat yo, im a soldja in da streets yo :-)

ahem ...
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

GS tends to be more of a KD wide strategy. It's actually done less to minimize losses, and more to decrease the other KD's gains. It helps slow recovery from chains and the like, and it is especially nasty when paired with Emerald Dragon's loss increase and further reduced gains.
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Regular
    i like Gallowmeres thinking

15% GS + EM dragon + orc attacker = lethal

Post Fiend
    as a heavy attacker i run 25% GS 20% TG and 20% Rax

Quote Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
    as a heavy attacker i run 25% GS 20% TG and 20% Rax
    In war? I would say 25% is a bit top heavy with GS, but if that's part of your KD's strat, I could see it working rather well. You're an Orc, I assume?
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

wow 25% Guard Stations, 20% Training Grounds and 20% Barracks!

yikes your army must be damn strong!

i am sticking with using the land that could be Guard Stations as extra Forts though, i appreciate the feedback, perhaps i shall build them later in the age when i also have to convert some of my buildings to libraries.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    wow 25% Guard Stations, 20% Training Grounds and 20% Barracks!

yikes your army must be damn strong!

i am sticking with using the land that could be Guard Stations as extra Forts though, i appreciate the feedback, perhaps i shall build them later in the age when i also have to convert some of my buildings to libraries.
    Are you an attacker? If so, you're gimping yourself by running forts. They are generally reserved for T/Ms to help prevent them from being broken with Massacres while they are oping the hell out of everyone. Otherwise, given how the army of an attacker wears in war, you'd be better served by TGs and Hospitals than Forts. It's not about not getting broken as an attacker, because you will no matter what, unless you are extremely light on offense which means that you end up being nothing more than a poorly equipped T/M. ;)
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

the thing is i have been asking for advice since i started and everybody has different opinions, i have heard that forts allow a province to free up extra soldiers for attacking by increasing the strength of defensive specs and freeing up soldiers to be trained as knights (my province is human)

apart from anything i think it is just logical to increase my defences, to protect the acres that i already have while my knights are out.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    the thing is i have been asking for advice since i started and everybody has different opinions, i have heard that forts allow a province to free up extra soldiers for attacking by increasing the strength of defensive specs and freeing up soldiers to be trained as knights (my province is human)

apart from anything i think it is just logical to increase my defences, to protect the acres that i already have while my knights are out.
    Ethan got hold of you, didn't he?
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

perhaps lol i have taken advice from quite a few people, i steered clear of vines though

so .... forts are bullocks for attacker you are saying? sigh i have 19% forts lol
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Honestly man, it depends on what you are going for, but ideally they shouldn't be used for an attacker. His math shows that it can benefit your offense, but that relies on static numbers, which don't really exist much in Utopia. I'll put it this way: our leading attacker in gains last war was running a 15 dpa suicide strat, and for every hit he took, he was able to hand three or four back out. Using WS, it was like he never got hit to begin with.

All this proves is that circumstance can change everything. If they'd have had the coordination to chain him down, he'd have been food running that strat. However all of their attackers were scared to touch him, for more than one reason, so it worked out well.
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Post Fiend
    When i run Orc Cleric, then yeah thats my strat.

I get -30% losses, +30% gains... and whatever gains science i have mustered.

However against KD's with heavy thieves i bump my 10% WT up to 20% and so GS TG and Rax decrease slightly

Like you said using war spoils is dangerous in war... no incoming land and your top of the chain target, especially with 15 DPA..

Using forts as a heavy attacker is bad strat, using it cleverly in a hybrid strat is perfectly viable

cheers for the feedback, there is so so so much to learn about this game
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Thread Information