Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guard Stations

Post Fiend
    In utopia, defense is use to prevent against double tap(or triple). Have higher defense untill ppl cannot atk you and want to have high offense is illogical.Thats why theres thing like 40 dpa army out. Most kd set 40 dpa army out is because not many atker can have more then 80 opa, so 40 dpa is a save number to prevent against double tap.

When you get chain, fort is a bit useless, since you will get pitfall and after 2-3 atk, they already can double or triple tap.This is when gs come in,since you cannot defense your acre properly anymore, making their gain lesser is the way to go.In organize kd gs is use depend on kd strat in ghetto you can do that too.

Your suicider guy would have stood up very long against my Orc/Cleric :P

GS are a must for anyone who thinks that they might possibly be chained, and for Orcs and Avians they're even better because they provide good synergy with their improved gains and lower attack times, respectively.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordray View Post
    Your suicider guy would have stood up very long against my Orc/Cleric :P

GS are a must for anyone who thinks that they might possibly be chained, and for Orcs and Avians they're even better because they provide good synergy with their improved gains and lower attack times, respectively.
    That's the difference between you (and quite a few people on these forums) and the attackers of the KD we were warring. ;)
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    15 dpa suicide strat... Using WS, it was like he never got hit to begin with.
    Why the F didn't they chain him? The fact that he used WS means he should have been dead real fast

I don't even know. It was a risk we were taking to start breaking their monarch, because nothing else was working to end the war, even though we were leading in gains by quite a bit. I have no idea why they didn't touch him, honestly. I am no mind reader, though my thought process assumes they were thinking something like 'durrr...daaaahhhh'.
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Post Demon
    Please note, I use forts to raise offense. I do not advise an attacker to raise defense with forts (unless it is too low and you are trying to get back to the target anyway). If 40 DPA is good before forts, then 40 DPA should be good after forts. Forts are only useless for an attacker if you lack the discipline to lower your def specs to keep DPA the same.

Re: GS
    I don't normally like them. However, I usually have a high NW/A, which acts a lot like GS. (Smaller land with same NW and same military means same % of a smaller number = lowers losses.) Also, as sage I have higher gains sci *and* the high NW/A acts like +gains as well. Usually it isn't so great to be trading hits with me anyway - either ignore me, or do a real chain. (And if they can chain me, my kingdom is outgunned badly and should surrender at min time anyway.)

In this past war, things went on so long I did add some gs, which did seem to help. It was a trading hits type of war (getto max gains) and I ended up eating the most incoming hits of anyone in my kingdom. There isn't much that matters 5 days into a war other than AIAO, but it did seem to help a bit. For those that don't have my natural advantages built in, gs may make a lot of sense. (It isn't as though I'm magically better, just that my way of reaching the goal of high military produces a GS like effect, instead of other types of advantages.)
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

how on earth do you use forts to raise offence???
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Post Fiend
    you lower your defensive specs per acre and increase your elite/offensive specs per acre. The forts mean that while def specs per acre decrease, DPA will not decrease, hence the forts in this round about way increase your offense.

The way ethan plays seems to be against the general feeling around the forums that GS is better than forts unless you plan on being/becoming unbreakable during war. That doesnt mean he's wrong it's just a different stlye of play

Yes okay i (think i) understand, that is what i was saying earlier, so then - Yes 'Ethan did get a hold of me' :-)

it seems logical to me that my province is Fortified to increase my defensive strength while my knights are out killing things and taking acres. It is how i am playing for this age at least. I am only 25 years old and excluding world war 3 or alien invasion i shall be playing utopia for a very long time - trial and error :-)
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Regular
    I would recommend forts to elves and halflings only(hybrids) if you can effectively use it to boost off. Last age as halfer merch I played 10% fort 15% tg. Only replacing tg in war. This gave me alot of options when attacking and warding off multi taps. I kept 10% gs though I took few hits, as halfer with low nw/a losses are big.

Scorpio, I understand your reasoning, but the main rule is, you can't win wars by being defensive. Now this doesn't mean go balls to the wall offense. Just remember, your defense doesn't mean too much going head to head with a fully pumped orc or undead

Ultimately it really seems to come down to what your peers are running, how aware your opponent is, and how strategic they are.
    Last edited by krof; 05-12-2011 at 04:42.

Cheers for the words of wisdom
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Regular
    Total Attacks Made 145
    Total Wins 126
    Wins Against Larger Opponents 63
    Average Relative Opponent Networth 100%
    Total Land Gained in Combat 6318
    Attacks Suffered 171
    Times Defeated 161
    Total Land Lost in Combat 6494

2 letters, GS

Regular
    I always thought u couldnt keep yourself from being attacked, its best to have a build that will help you survive to attack longer during wars which GS help with. They are Hospitals for your acres lol.

Hospitals for my acres? Nice. Should i mention i have no hospitals either?
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

not to your enemies.

Thread Information