Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guard Stations

Using no GS is workable, but no hospitals... That's bad, to say the least. A few hits and your defense is toast, especially with Pitfalls and BG on you.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordray View Post
    Using no GS is workable, but no hospitals... That's bad, to say the least. A few hits and your defense is toast, especially with Pitfalls and BG on you.
    Unless you're cleric.

sigh ... so much to learn.

i did feel kind of bad for not having hospitals in my province, i shall try to work 5-10% into my new building strat and maybe the same about of guard stations, my character is shepherd and my race is human
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Regular
    Hospitals are very important too. Especially for human, your elites are very expensive, you will be lucky if you can retrain them in war. Im undead tact and even I like to start war with 10% hosp, cause for some reason kingdoms like to come at me first. So GS and Hosp help me stay in the game a little longer as it will any player

Im willing to bet if have a few undead orc or avian you may be overlooked most of the time so u may really not need gs. Its a tough call. If you never get hit then they are a waste, but if you log on and find you have been waved then you will wish u had them.
    Last edited by krof; 06-12-2011 at 07:12.

Quote Originally Posted by barbrolie View Post
    Unless you're cleric.
    I knew that he was a Shep :P

The only reason that an attacker shouldn't run hospitals if if they're either Cleric or Halfling. Otherwise you're going to see a huge drop in defense and offense very quickly. Humans have a nice 8/3 elite true, but they're expensive and your alternative is your 4/0 spec which is 1/2 as powerful as the elite. Hospitals really do help if you're the target of a chain much like GS; they let you hit longer and prolong the chain. If you're not a chain target, then they keep you a threat longer without the need to retrain massive amounts of elites to maintain the offense.

It's okay, it takes a while to pick up things.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Post Demon
    Down in the gettos, you *will* be hit in war if you are an attacker. Chain targets are more like taking 4-5 hits before your army gets back, which another 4-5 going somewhere else entirely. And as soon as you start growing someone will target you cause your DPA is down. So hospitals are important, and GS a big help too.

A better kingdom would notice someone without hospitals, and chain them hard the moment their army was out. No need for a big NS wave first - the losses will kill them anyway, the ops can prep the next target. The losses I used to get with my faery attacker against halfers were awesome - I could have BL, PF, and we usually ran an emerald... I once was legitimately unsure if the target had TW, but concluded as I'd only taken about .6 pris/acre he probably didn't. Think about it though - I snapped off 3 dpa in prisoners (and so about 6 dpa total since exactly 1/2 are prisoners) - even at normal gains his dpa was going down with each hit! No bounce back for him!

Now, a halfer just has to live with it, or take cleric. The do have nice, cheep, elites. Human lacks that disadvantage (having others) and so wants some anyway... and then the expensive elite wants some extra too.

About the only bad thing about hospitals is that they are weak if you grow rapidly. If they choose to let you get land fat, the hospitals only help a little, while banks would have helped a lot more. But you can't know which you'll get in a given war, and usually in the getto, over-extension is called *winning* instead of *opponent's strategy*.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

I am currently at 121k NW with 803 acres, just over 50k defense points and 43k offence points. During the war i just took part in i was only attacked once and managed to come out of the war having captured + 174 acres and enough honour to make me a Baron. Perhaps that was a fluke coming through the war without being attacked more.

I think i shall give the Hospitals a go yet i am hesitant about Guard Stations. I still think, for better or worse, that the acres would be better used as Forts to secure my acres in the first place.

Cheers for all of the feedback. I think Guard Stations might be better if they also helped against the amount of gc's, runes or bushels stolen from a province during Theif ops in the same way they work with acres taken during Traditional March attacks. As they are now i do not, in all of my accumulated noob level wisdom, feel Guard Stations are 'worth it'.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Let us know how you feel after you end up being the chain target in a war. ;)
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

Shall do :-)

Sincerely, if i ever get gangbanged by i will most probably post a ranting thread in Utopia Talk, asking for advice and revenge ideas.

One has to make mistakes to learn.
    Last edited by scorpio86; 07-12-2011 at 13:52. Reason: damn typos
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Post Demon
    Unless I'm confused, people *have* shown GS work against plunder and learn - it isn't just land gains, it is any resource gain from an attack.
    I do not know what the effect is on pes captured on attack, building/training credits, or now gs interact with mass/raze. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I about GS can explain that part of it.

While GS lowers gc losses to plunder - it does nothing for gc losses to *stealing*. Best defense there is to spend all the money (or aid/feed next dragon).
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Ethan my comment on GS and their relation to Theif Ops was a hypothetical idea related to Guard Stations. It was not a query. I posted it because it is something i think could make GS worth a place in my province.

I think it would make sense, since they are after all 'Guard' Stations.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

That's what WTs are for. Combining them into one building, so to speak, would make it extremely overpowered.
    "I don't hate you, I'm just removing an enemy..."
    ~~~D. Randall Blythe

this is what i posted earlier - I think Guard Stations might be better if they also helped against the amount of gc's, runes or bushels stolen from a province during Theif ops in the same way they work with acres taken during Traditional March attacks. As they are now i do not, in all of my accumulated noob level wisdom, feel Guard Stations are 'worth it'.

I never meant to combine any buildings together, also watch towers do not do this at all. It was simly a thought as to something i think GS should effect.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

WTs do exactly that.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    this is what i posted earlier - I think Guard Stations might be better if they also helped against the amount of gc's, runes or bushels stolen from a province during Theif ops in the same way they work with acres taken during Traditional March attacks. As they are now i do not, in all of my accumulated noob level wisdom, feel Guard Stations are 'worth it'.

I never meant to combine any buildings together, also watch towers do not do this at all. It was simly a thought as to something i think GS should effect.
    gs reduce the amount of land you lost thus reduce the amount of building you lost thus reduce the lost of resources each tick, what else do you want more?

gs is a good especially for attacker, the less land you lost the less overpop u will get and the less pezzie/troops you will lost thus less resources in a way.

gs is not a super building but it is good just to hold for 12 hour before your army returns with the land.

Thread Information