Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Science vs Religion

Organized religion is what is responsible for the suffering of it's people.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

People behind the organised religion, if there wasnt religion t here would be something else.

What ever causes the greatest fear? God, Disease and War. Religion, Science and Politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    People behind the organised religion, if there wasnt religion t here would be something else.
    This.

People are awful. Don't blame the things we come up with for the awful things we do.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    This.

People are awful. Don't blame the things we come up with for the awful things we do.
    That sounds like the argument about guns; "guns don't kill people, people do."

Although, a gun makes it 100 times easier to kill someone and therefore increases the kill rate. Take away the guns and you would see a drop in murders and suicides + accidents. Take away religion and you would take away a valuable tool for a lot of nutcases, such as the Ayatollah of Iran, Jihadists, Michelle Barrack and Santoroum.
    ABS vs Rangers

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post

Although, a gun makes it 100 times easier to kill someone and therefore increases the kill rate. Take away the guns and you would see a drop in murders and suicides + accidents.
    You would also see a huge rise in burglary, muggings, assault, gang violence, ect. All of the cowards who don't have the balls to do those crimes would suddenly not have that lurking fear of being shot. The cops would be equipped with batons and tazers. These increases would absolutely dwarf the decreases in murder, suicides, & "accidents"

Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post

Although, a gun makes it 100 times easier to kill someone and therefore increases the kill rate. Take away the guns and you would see a drop in murders and suicides + accidents. Take away religion and you would take away a valuable tool for a lot of nutcases, such as the Ayatollah of Iran, Jihadists, Michelle Barrack and Santoroum.
    They would just use another weapon and certainly wouldnt lower the number of suicides. Take a away religion they would just find another way to opress the people, the religion itself isnt the problem the people behind is the problem. Besides, religion probably does more good than bad now days.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Besides, religion probably does more good than bad now days.
    eh, that's debatable...

"Guns don't kill people. APES with guns kill people!" ~ Charlton Heston
    The only people who never make mistakes are those who never try to accomplish anything.

Christians do a lot of good things, but i still think christianity is a false beleif.

I think spirituality is an excellent thing and despite what fools might say, i as a redhead aka ranga have a soul :-) Simply because i do not beleive in jesus, the bible and the christian's 'god' i refuse to think my soul shall burn for all eternity. Likewise i refuse to beleive that if i die in the name of allah i shall be rewarded with seventy two virgins in 'heaven'.

Religion is a commonly held spiritual way of thinking, i don't see how religion could ever be 'taken away'. I just do not beleive in or follow the major religions because they seem highly illogical.
    Last edited by scorpio86; 16-02-2012 at 21:37. Reason: damn typos
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

eh, that's debatable...
    The first question you have to ask yourself, how much do you actually know about the Churches daily activities? Or do you base your opinion out of what you hear in the media?

Christians do a lot of good things, but i still think christianity is a false beleif.
    Whats false about Christianity?

I just do not beleive in or follow the major religions because they seem highly illogical.
    There is no logic in spirituality at all. If you want logic turn yourself towards science instead.

I base my opinions and thoughts upon what i have learned in my life, from books, television and human society.

What's false about christianity you ask?

That a virgin woman (mary) gave birth to a child with magical powers (jesus). Jesus was killed and died for my sins even though i was born one thousand, nine hundred and eighty six years after his death, if i don't do as he and his alledged father 'god' say then apparently my soul with burn in hell for all eternity. These things amongst a vast many others are all false according to what is logical. Ofcourse life is not logical, yet a virgin woman giving birth to a child with magical powers is just too illogical for me to see as anything but false.

There is logic in spirituality, for me at least. Don't take offence Korp but i shall not be taking advice on spirituality and science from you.
    Last edited by scorpio86; 16-02-2012 at 22:03. Reason: damn typos
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

There is logic in spirituality, for me at least. Don't take offence Korp but i shall not be taking advice on spirituality and science from you.
    Give me an example of logical spirituality

Dude i was just sitting here thinking that in this thread you are just asking me one line questions after quoting one line of my previous post. I didn't start this thread to cater to you.

I have better things to do than define my spirituality to you. But if you really need be it just seems that there is more to life than what can be proven, life, reality, the earth, humans - none of it make sense when it really comes down to it. Haven't you ever had your mind wander to a train of thought where you truly question what life is about? I think anybody that truly thinks about life, reality and even conscious thought itself has to come to the conslusion that there is more the 'life' than just the physical and mental side of things. We might disagree but i feel that my life energy is important and i describe it/my life as my spirit. That might sound hippy-ish but i am a bit of a hippy and that is how i feel and think upon the matter. To me it is logical that my life/spirit is a part of something above and beyond me (nature/the universe/whateverthe@#$@lifeis)

Answer your own questions with counter arguments. Each of them. Do it.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    The first question you have to ask yourself, how much do you actually know about the Churches daily activities? Or do you base your opinion out of what you hear in the media?
    Nah, I have a reasonable understanding of what good (and bad) churches provide. My main point of why this is debatable is that religion is just much less important as a whole. Churches provide provide a lot of good things a lot of bad things, but compared to what they used to provide, it's really negligible...

There is no logic in spirituality at all. If you want logic turn yourself towards science instead.
    Actually, I do believe that the christian church claims that a lot of christianity's "illogical" parts are actually logical (i.e. The Trinity)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    That a virgin woman (mary) gave birth to a child with magical powers (jesus). Jesus was killed and died for my sins even though i was born one thousand, nine hundred and eighty six years after his death, if i don't do as he and his alledged father 'god' say then apparently my soul with burn in hell for all eternity. These things amongst a vast many others are all false according to what is logical. Ofcourse life is not logical, yet a virgin woman giving birth to a child with magical powers is just too illogical for me to see as anything but false.
    I suggest you understand things before dismissing them ;)

Jesus didn't have magical powers. He was a normal person. His miracles were performed through his faith in god. Any normal person could do these things if they were as perfect as Jesus. (Peter also walked on the water with Jesus)

Also, it's perfectly possible for a virgin to give birth. Without getting too graphic, all that needs to happen is for semen to get to the egg.

Thread Information