Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Science vs Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Chromemagnonman View Post
    octobrev lol!! Global warming isn't a problem its the newest big bu$ine$$!!
    I enjoy the simple irony of putting up windmills and slowing the rotation of the earth to a complete stop. I'll continue to endorse it as a real live problem for now~
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

In school you teach science. If you want religion you go to church. I see no scientific data to support creationism, therefore it should not be taught in science class. While we may not know all there is to know about macro evolution, not having been around long enough to witness it, massive amounts of scientific evidence (not to mention common sense) point to it being fact.
    As far as the 7000 year thing goes, I have no proof that it's not true, but I don't need to believe that in order to believe in the Bible.

They both require a lot of faith methinks. lol

Forum Addict
    I'm a teacher(not in religion) and think evolutionism/big bang should be taught, but the pupils should also be made aware of the Christian theory. I teach my students that the Big Bang happened billions of years ago, but that it's a theory we believe in atm and it might change.

The Earth is NOT 6000 years old, it's much older. Btw, the guy who first came up with that(the guy was a priest in the uk) was banned by the Pope and condemned by Christianity of his day.

Btw, evolutionism is no theory, it is fact. Big Bang is a theory.
    ABS vs Rangers

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by lastunicorn View Post
    As far as the 7000 year thing goes, I have no proof that it's not true
    How about the fact that we have rocks older than that? lol

Not to mention ancient fossils and such lol

In school you teach science. If you want religion you go to church.
    Agree. Scorpio, when you said that students should be taught both sides, why would we do that? If we teach a religious belief in school why are we only teaching one? If by both sides you meant all religious beliefs then that's just insane and we have no time to teach all that in school anyway. We don't even have enough time to teach what's really important.
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

I said children should be able to see both sides and make their own decisions. I did not mention what they should be taught. That question is open.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post
    I'm a teacher(not in religion) and think evolutionism/big bang should be taught, but the pupils should also be made aware of the Christian theory.
    Thats not a theory. A theory is based on quantifiable data.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Why not also make pupils aware of the Aboriginal Theory that a giant rainbow snake flew down from the sky and created the world? as that is 'another side of the arguement' (the arguement being what is life and how did it/us/earth/everything originate)

It is a difficult question, as i have no kids of my own i don't have to be bothered by the stress of what they are being taught at school.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    How about the fact that we have rocks older than that? lol

Not to mention ancient fossils and such lol
    When these things are mentioned, the response is often something along the lines of, "They were created old." Such statements I have no way of proving wrong.

Do you mean lines such as 'God works in mysterious ways' ?

They irk me also.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

When these things are mentioned, the response is often something along the lines of, "They were created old." Such statements I have no way of proving wrong.
    You don't need to prove them wrong, they need to prove them right.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    Why not also make pupils aware of the Aboriginal Theory that a giant rainbow snake flew down from the sky and created the world? as that is 'another side of the arguement' (the arguement being what is life and how did it/us/earth/everything originate)

That's a rather silly question. Aboriginal religion is not one of the big world religions in the world today, those are Christianity, Judaism, Buddaism, Islam and Hinduism. The big 5. All humans ought to know something about the big 5 in order to understand other people's culture better. I'm not saying it should be taught as a possible theory, I'm saying it should be taught as "This is what these guys believe happened".
    Since most here come from "Christian" countries with a Christian cultural legacy, it is only natural that we learn more about Christianity than Hinduism.

Knowledge is power, knowledge promotes equality and works against prejudice. If you know your neighbour, you will treat him better and think better of him(unless he's an arse ofc).

And no, I am not a Christian.
    ABS vs Rangers

It wasn't a serious suggestion, i posted about the rainbow serpent in a comparison to teaching christianity.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    You don't need to prove them wrong, they need to prove them right.
    If we're talking science, yes. If it's a religious conversation, not exactly.

Thread Information