Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Science vs Religion

They can learn that **** in church. We can't hand out diplomas to people that believe in nonsense.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

You must have gone to a better high school than me, I didn't learn much of anything.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    Do people here thing it is wrong to teach creationism in schools? To teach it as if it were maths or geography?
    I wouldn't say it's wrong, but it's important to present it as an idea and not what current science most strongly supports. I'm all for letting people know about other ideas as long as their facts are straight.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lastunicorn View Post
    I would consider that the choice of the one being educated (or parents), and anyone should have the freedom to learn that which they want to.

I disagree with that. On most topics, you should be forced to teach what the state has decided. However, religion is a fuzzy matter and we have a the right to choose our religion.
    But on cases like science(Big Bang should be taught in Christian schools as well, but I guess they can present it more as "that's what THEY believe"), there is no question about it. History is also sensitive, and the US has started sensoring their own history in order to make the US look greater by leaving out important parts about their history. But you can't teach children in school that WWII never happened, that holocaust never happened, etc.

But sensorship is well used, especially in the US and third world countries, so I am all for teaching more than those ppl learn in school. I can't remember what the US sensored from history class, but it was something vital about slavery or the Indians, can't remember.

Creationism can be presented in religion class, and if it's a religious school, they can present it as that's what 'WE' believe. But it will never be science, there's no way to back up that theory at all. But in certain states, creationism is taking over in public schools. The US are doing what Iran and Saudi Arabia have been doing for decades, they are becoming more and more fanatic about their religion, desecularising.
    ABS vs Rangers

Yeah they should still teach science in a religious school. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I meant that creationism shouldn't be taught at public schools.

i guess it depends on where you're from, scorpio. becaus in america, we have speration of church and state which clearly states that religious (.... uh.... theories/stories/somethings) are not to be taught in school. scientific theories are obvoiusly alllowed to be taught, but we don't make the students believe those theories in order to pass. anyway, i don't really know what i was gonna say... mostly i agree with alot of what unicorn has said. big ups to unicorn.

but also i wanted tocomment on whether it is wrong to teach creationism. technically... yes it is. why would we teach creationism? beacuse the majority of people believe it? it's not right to teach one religion over the other. atleast for people like me who live in a meltiing pot country where poeple of all relgions live and what not. we need to teach these kids who are of multicultural backgrounds. if we teach one religion then we must teach the next most popular... and then the next... and the next.... and before you know it you can create your ow.... blah blah you get the point....
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

I am from and in Australia, we have no creationism taught here in our Public schools. Thankfully.

As i understand it this issue is mainly in North America.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

I'm from Ireland and the church ran our schools for years. The court cases about their rampant abuse and paedophilia are still ongoing.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Yuck.

Yet we can't blame religion for people like 'that'
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Of course we can. That religious society encourages such people.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Then shoot the #$$%s i say.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Post Fiend
    I'm not really science ppl but science change with a new finds. There is some thing cannot be explain by science. For example einstein energy relative theory is completely different from scientist around the world.

It is my believe theory like this and this come from a million/billion age ago is just a complete theory.No one live at that age and thus nobody can prove it unless we create time machine.I know scientist using this and that theory to prove this and that came from this and that age. But still, even machine can have error,no software free from bug and human can do a lot of mistake.

Most ppl dont want to let go of religion just because there is live after death(or you can reborn depend on religion).In my country(Malaysia) religion and science is teach together and there is no problem at least for me to relate it both, we dont choose between religion and science, we choose both religion and science.Some said thats the reason we cannot become as good as first world country but we got live after death and that alone restrain some ppl from doing a bad thing ;p

In my country there is a christian and muslim school.I dont know if chinese and indian school teach their religion there I will check later.

Expelled- Ben Stein Documentary on Creationism being taught in North America. If you're interested. I watched it last month and found it entertaining.

Interesting historical fact, Galileo formulated his theories based upon his belief in the truth of the Bible. He believed the Bible supported his theories. His heresy was contradicting the "church's" stance. Don't take my word for it.

I think some of this thread is an argument of definition. God does not equal religion.
    I'm sensing alot of hate (passion) for religion on this thread. Interesting viral video a friend showed me last week blowing up on the internet about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

P.S- on that whole argument of definition. What does the Big Bang Theory entail? Does it mean the Universe started from one central point? B/c if that is the case I think the most fervent religious person and the most ardent atheist would agree.

I think the real scientific debates are what started the Big Bang and how long did it take?

Quote Originally Posted by dream2 View Post
    There is some thing cannot be explain by science.
    Yet, cannot be explained by science yet.

Thread Information