Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments on age 53 potential changes

Aggression on halfer is 4/0 solds or 3/1 ?

race changes are useless until real mechanics are tinkered. as an aside, elf looks comical to play, I don't know what you noobs are seeing.
    The End of an Era

Post Demon
    Power rankings are built with the following assumptions:

Homes% 10%
    BE Sci 15%
    Fixed NW (build+sci+pes) 73
    PopSci 10%
    Off/Def ratio 65% 35%
    Target PPA 8
    Target rWPA (after race) 1
    Target rTPA (after race) 2

30% lands split optimally between TG and Forts. No stables.
    FoK gives bonus sci effect, TW is on, fanat is on, dwarf is pure spec. (Yes, pure spec Dwarf is better.)
    200% pay rate, 4 generals, and MP are assumed on. New this age, OME and DME are calced additively, instead of the old (and mistaken) multiplication.

MPNW is the combined OPNW and DPNW, which since the off/def ratio is fixed (at just short of 2:1) gives a reasonable evaluation of the attacker's overall strength. Note that econ (+income, elite cost, +BE on banks, credits, free built, etc.) is not factored in, and that the rWPA and rTPA numbers are low - these are pure attackers.

As you can see, there are a lot of assumptions, though I tried to make them all reasonable. Given that durability/econ is entirely left out as well, as are hybrids... these numbers are guildlines only. Hence, for example, my declaration of halfer as best overall race, despite it only getting at 97.49% when compared to the fanated orc.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Ethan,

Thank you!

Post Fiend
    Faeries will have 8 defense on elites that have 7 nw....that'll just make them even more nw efficient. I think the nw of that elite would need to be 8.

Just made some calculations, assuming 25 pop/acre (homes+housing sci), 4 tpa, 4 wpa, 13 epa, 4 ppa, 75% thievery/magic science, no honor, rogue with tds for +50% thievery effectiveness, +15% defense from forts and mp up. I end up with 134 dpa, 15 mod tpa, 10.5 mod wpa and about 175 nw/acre (including 12 nw/acre from science). That's 0.76 defense per nw combined with more than decent thievery/magic values for a peasant/knight....extremely efficient, a bit too efficient if you ask me. Just imagine when they'd have honor to add to that.

Regular
    Orc/Cleric will be one of the top attacker choices for sure... Avians are dead IMO.... Elf/Cleric wouldn't be bad if hospitals could be used, but with no hospitals available a chain will make you release all of those precious Lords ;-)

Regular
    With that said, give elves hospitals for an A/M combo...

Veteran
    Dwarves:
    7 networth for 6/6 elites is pretty much.

Undead:
    like the idea of training elites too at higher cost

Faery:
    Like it.

Orc:
    Like it.

Elf:
    Losing FoK and access to hospitals is maybe a bit much.

Halfling:
    Like it.

Avians:
    Could work in some setups.

Human:
    Like it.

Regarding game mechanic changes, are we going back to acre based gains? Judging the changes from last few ages were pretty balanced, these changes look more unbalanced. However placing these changes in a scenario with acre based gains it overall gets more balanced. Please say that's not gonna happen.
    Last edited by Humanoize; 20-01-2012 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Power rankings are built with the following assumptions:

Homes% 10%
    BE Sci 15%
    Fixed NW (build+sci+pes) 73
    PopSci 10%
    Off/Def ratio 65% 35%
    Target PPA 8
    Target rWPA (after race) 1
    Target rTPA (after race) 2

30% lands split optimally between TG and Forts. No stables.
    FoK gives bonus sci effect, TW is on, fanat is on, dwarf is pure spec. (Yes, pure spec Dwarf is better.)
    200% pay rate, 4 generals, and MP are assumed on. New this age, OME and DME are calced additively, instead of the old (and mistaken) multiplication.

MPNW is the combined OPNW and DPNW, which since the off/def ratio is fixed (at just short of 2:1) gives a reasonable evaluation of the attacker's overall strength. Note that econ (+income, elite cost, +BE on banks, credits, free built, etc.) is not factored in, and that the rWPA and rTPA numbers are low - these are pure attackers.

As you can see, there are a lot of assumptions, though I tried to make them all reasonable. Given that durability/econ is entirely left out as well, as are hybrids... these numbers are guildlines only. Hence, for example, my declaration of halfer as best overall race, despite it only getting at 97.49% when compared to the fanated orc.
    I know you mean well Ethan, but I gotta be honest, the "rankings" you always put out are completely useless.
    S E C R E T S

Sir Postalot
    Just want to confirm that the doubly effective banks was taken from Merchant on purpose and not just left off.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Just want to confirm that the doubly effective banks was taken from Merchant on purpose and not just left off.
    confirmed
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

instead of -10% gains on Halfer ... why not -1 general =)

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Avian - This is the least-played and worst race this age. And you just nerfed it into the ground? That's absurd. I have no idea why anyone would ever play it.
    Dwarf - Still a good cow, but less good as a main attacker race, I think. Not a good thing to design a race for.
    Elf - Slight nerf, but they probably need it.
    Faery - Probably a buff, which they don't need, but I'm not sure.
    Halfling - Well, guess there won't be any A/T halfers this age.
    Human - Minuscule buff. Seems fine.
    Orc - I think this works out to a slight buff, which they don't need.
    Undead - They're the most popular race, so they probably need a nerf, but it feels very weird that their most obvious mechanic(raising the dead) has disappeared completely. I'd give them the Cleric "losses become soldiers" bit, which is less good than what they have but still in-flavour. If they still need a nerf, hit them harder somewhere else.
    Overall, not a fan of the race changes. I'm in agreement with the rest of the thread - Faery and Orc are obviously the two strongest races next age, with Elf #3. And what the crap have you done to Avians and Halflings?

Merchant - Probably about even as a change. I'm fine with that.
    Shepherd - Still weak. Needs a buff.
    Sage - Much-needed nerf. Added Learn protection seems a bit much, though - maybe -50% effect from Learn and Amnesia?
    Rogue/Mystic - Unchanged, which is fine by me.
    Warrior - This is going to get crazy late in the age - you know that, right? I mean, I think it's cool, but the scale goes pretty high on honour bonuses as it is.
    Tactician - Slight buff, but it seems fine.
    Cleric - I think this is a nerf, but it's the sort of nerf that is almost guaranteed to break something. Sure, it's fine for an undead attacker, but I have a nagging feeling it'll be broken on another race somehow.
    Overall, the personality changes seem better than the race ones to me, though there's still a couple things I'd tweak.

Halflings ~ Palem said "I just don't know what to do with a halfer at this point". I agree 100%. I look at the changes and wonder what is trying to be achieved? Okay so they got +1 stealth, but their effectiveness taken away. Errrr? They can now have hospitals but their army was nerfed. *Scratches head*. That said, there's some advantage there to using soldiers but my feeling is they've just been turned into a race that doesn't excel anywhere any more.

Elves ~ Again Palem nailed my thoughts which was ... they seem to want to be a hybrid, but giving them the hospital penalty says otherwise. Are you wanting another T/M race? Because that's sort of what it looks like. If you want to remove hospitals from them, wouldn't it have been better for them to lower some of their army costs a touch? Seems they lost FoK too? Along with QF last age. They are shaping up to be not so attractive any more ... like at all. I guess I have to think on this a bit more.

Orcs ~ Well no comment. I don't play them so can't say. They do seem awfully strong.

Undeads ~ Not a fan of these changes. I'd rather have seen their ability to bounce wave taken away with losses on failed attacks than the way this went.

Avians ~ :( ... that should sum up that change.

Personality changes ~ Those I could take or leave. I'd like to have seen Mystic get a bit of a boost but none of them really excited me one way or another. I know I will be staying away from Cleric!

Post Fiend
    Double bonuses from honor - > 1.5 bonuses from honor. Give a minor buff to one of the other traits to compensate. This way we don't end up with broken scaling at the top levels of honor as soon in previous ages with War Hero.

As for the people talking trash about Halflings, yes their military was nerfed per acre, but it was buffed per nw to compensate. Their elites will be 100% useless for attacking, but they're still NW efficient defenders.

Faeries and Orcs look way too good.
    Avians look way too weak.
    Last edited by Sadliar; 20-01-2012 at 18:40.

Thread Information