Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 88 homeless in Norway's biggest city. US: 1 out of 200

Quote Originally Posted by goodz View Post
    I think he brings up a good point. Due to drug abuse and other things a large percentage of the homeless population essentially chooses homelessness over having to work. I do not know many people who have been unable to find a job when actively looking. I know only 1 guy from my high school class who is actually homeless and he says some days suck but he likes it more then he liked working... but yea Unemployment in canada is around 7%, homelessness is listed as .5%. The same as the USA. I bet based on what I see on the streets here. 90% of the homeless fall into 2 groups:
    1) substance abuse prevents finding a job
    2) choose to be homeless
    Why do people turn to substance abuse? Most of them are from poorer backgrounds. They don't have the education or connections to get nice jobs and get stuck in poorly paid crappy jobs. At some point they just can't take it anymore and try drugs to get away from it all and that's when a new junky is born.

The long term solution is to offer better education to ALL citizens so that everybody has a chance to be part of the american dream. The reality is that promising to put more people in jail is what gets politicians the most votes (criminals aren't allowed to vote) so that ends up being the policy. America, f*ck yeah!
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Post Demon
    The American Dream is the cause of much of Americans' suffering.

Most people don't want to admit just what a ****hole this world is, and how much is based on bull****.

This society only works is a substantial portion of the population is placed in abject poverty - not for any real reason except that it is believed that such suffering is necessary by nature. Trying to argue with that logic is a waste of time and energy.

I don't blame anyone for using drugs to numb the pain. I only object to drug culture jackasses who are smug bastards and murderers, who would be smug bastards and murderers if there were no drugs. Nor do I blame anyone for being homeless... it is what it is.

In all of this, the simple and logical solution to provide cheap housing is inevitably ****ed up by profit motives and a desire among the world's elite to force the homeless into further starvation. Again, not something that can be argued with. Also, the worst part of homelessness is by far social stigma, which is never going to change because of centuries of social engineering and humans naturally finding someone weak to blame for all of society's problems.

Poverty perpetuates itself :<
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post
    and they are all junkies who kinda chose to sleep on the street. This was found out by the Salvation Army who went out every night for 4 weeks to count. In addition, there's some gypsees and immigrants, but on any night, the total number of homeless(people who slept outside) including those groups never surpassed 100.
    More people live in shelters though, but the number isn't very high.

88! If you doubled that number, you would get the number for the whole of Norway because Oslo is the absolute number 1 in this, and by far the largest city.

In the US, 1 out of every 200 people use a shelter of some kind and will be forced to sleep on the street from time to time, or more often than that. A VERY high number.

So, why is Obama so bad? He wants to help these guys, the Republicans want to leave them to die in a ditch and only let themselves prosper. Don't we all deserve a chance?
    just give them a bunch of credit and then let them drop dead when they don't pay it back. well, that probably won't work because if i lent them money and they didn't pay it back, i might be required to kill them for being thieving bastages, at the least chop off their hands. btw, i heard that around 25% of the homeless were US Veterans. HooooRaaaah!

the real question is why do you want to force me to pay for them? i should be doing it because of the charity in my blessed heart and because i'm a bloody compassionate person who wants to be rewarded with an eternity of bliss... well, that's what i would want to do if i wasn't too busy paying for old people who had their entire life to plan ahead for their retirement.

how much do i owe another person simply because they exist, and if i owe it to them, why don't they owe it to me?
    Last edited by Dibs Ludicrous; 17-08-2012 at 15:09. Reason: additional thought

Veteran
    european goverments have social economic safety nets. if they d not have them. the amount of homeless ppl d be simular to the US. I think the europeans have the most civilised system in which whealth is most evenly distributed then anywhere in the world.
    My former contribution to a kingdom known by many names
    [ Palindromes - Stuck inside my head - Dinner is Served - Doom & Bloom Seed Co. - Foxtonomy - First Impressions ]

=^..^= SPGC !! =^..^=
    It is I the Three Musketeers, Alpacahontas, Appetitical ManiaC, Twerk it Harder Make it Better

"\*.Pyromaniacs.*/"

Thread Information