Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as a sane American?

Forum Addict
    USA need some Germans to come over and run their country for a while, along with Greece, Portugal, Italy and Ireland.

USA is not getting better, they are getting worse. Fanatism and desperation is on the move because of poverty and the mood of the world. A vast part of the American population have more in common with their arch-enemy Iran than the rest of the West, sadly. They let religion and fanatism rule their lives, giving God as a reason for most things. God wants this, God wants that.

People forget that the mysterious God hasn't said anything, he's silent. Humans say things, God is quiet. But many Americans and hardcore muslims seem to forget that and have pursued a path on their way to the Medieval Ages.

Also, I think we should re-colonise Africa, help them out of their misery, build up their institutions and infrastructure along with a democratic tradition, and then pull out when the time was right and they could stand on their own feet. This might sound very crazy but in a perfect world, this would be the best way.
    ABS vs Rangers

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post
    They let religion and fanatism rule their lives, giving God as a reason for most things. God wants this, God wants that.
    It's nice to know that you don't know much about American politics.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Actually, Christian religion has a huge influence in North American politics, especially the U.S.

That's why, for example, gay marriage is still a contentious issue.

In that respect, North American politics has more in common with many fundamentalist Muslim nations than many North Americans would like to admit (they talk about extremists abroad, but conveniently forget to mention the extremists they have at home).

Frankly, I don't feel as threatened by Islamic fundamentalism as by Christian fundamentalist, for the simple reason that to a large extent, Islamic fundamentalism is someone else's problem.

In contrast, Christian fundamentalism has a very real influence in North American politics (as opposed to just the occasional crazy trying to blow himself up which is largely the result of Western Nations meddling too much in Middle Eastern affairs anyways, in large part because of our economic interests in the region).

I don't have a problem with moderate Christians, but when the more extremist ones start pushing their crazy nonsense like claiming a monopoly on marriage (and then conveniently trying to barr gay unions), trying to ban sexuality classes in high school or denying scientific evidence that society needs under pretext that is contradicts some parts of the Bible, they are impeding everyone's well being.
    Last edited by Magn; 08-02-2012 at 23:28.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I'm not saying there isn't a Christian influence, but it by no means "rules peoples lives". Case in point: Prop 8 being ruled unconstitutional.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I know a lot about American politics, and there's three keywords in the ongoing Republican Campaign: Poverty, Economy and foreign politics.... Oh wait, that's something sane people would focus on.
    The three key words are: GOD, GUNS and GAYS.

"Herman Cain says that God told him to run for president, National Journal reports"

"and as she has now said in her latest public statements, her prayers on the subject have now yielded a calling from God himself......... Bachmann: Well, every decision that I make I pray about as does my husband and I can tell you, yes, I?ve had that calling and that tugging on my heart that this is the right thing to do and because it?s such a momentous decision, not only for myself, my husband and our 28 children, it is a momentous decision what ideas will I bring to bear?"

All the remaining candidates except Gingrich and Ron Paul are just like the two above, if not more fanatical.

As you see, religious fanatism rules the daily lives of a lot of Americans. Maybe not yours, but most Republicans seem to have a lot in common with Saudi Arabians and Iranians. (No, that's no exaggeration)

American politics have much more in common with the muslim countries you so hate and fear than countries in Europe.

If our politicians talked like your Republicans, they would be admitted to mental hospital and shunned even by Christians, except the most fanatic sects, like the Mormons.
    ABS vs Rangers

WOW

Recolonise Africa hey ... yeah that will go down well ...
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Post Fiend
    We arrest 7 yr olds,spend billions on drug wars,border wars,people kill each other for sometimes random reasons over gang colors etc blah blah blah here in the good ole usa.. people in egypt start riots over football games, children in africa fight wars, jihadists in the mideast find it better to blow each others familys and villages up, russians have krocodile and drink lots of vodka, europeans riot over the littlest things, etc etc for every other place in the world. Is there even a sane place left in the world? Maybe Antarctica??Anyhow what I am saying or trying to is usually the "sane" people of any country/culture are not the ones who make the headlines. If newsstations/journalists reported on the normal/sane itd be boring to watch or read and they wouldn't make cash from adverts etc and go bankrupt.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post
    I know a lot about American politics, and there's three keywords in the ongoing Republican Campaign: Poverty, Economy and foreign politics.... Oh wait, that's something sane people would focus on.
    The three key words are: GOD, GUNS and GAYS.

"Herman Cain says that God told him to run for president, National Journal reports"

"and as she has now said in her latest public statements, her prayers on the subject have now yielded a calling from God himself......... Bachmann: Well, every decision that I make I pray about as does my husband and I can tell you, yes, I?ve had that calling and that tugging on my heart that this is the right thing to do and because it?s such a momentous decision, not only for myself, my husband and our 28 children, it is a momentous decision what ideas will I bring to bear?"

All the remaining candidates except Gingrich and Ron Paul are just like the two above, if not more fanatical.

As you see, religious fanatism rules the daily lives of a lot of Americans. Maybe not yours, but most Republicans seem to have a lot in common with Saudi Arabians and Iranians. (No, that's no exaggeration)

American politics have much more in common with the muslim countries you so hate and fear than countries in Europe.

If our politicians talked like your Republicans, they would be admitted to mental hospital and shunned even by Christians, except the most fanatic sects, like the Mormons.
    Funny stuff.. I haven't seen a american religious zealot blow himself up in a marketplace lately. Or seen a public stoning, or thieves hands cut off.. and american politics are more about swingin the votes then actual action. Sure once in awhile they keep their word, usually not. Just because the pres wants to do something doesnt mean its gonna happen. Ya still got congress etc to get the bill through and all that jazz.. thank god for checks and balances...

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Being religious doesn't rule your life or make you a crazy person. It makes you religious.

Also, it seems you may have more issues with muslim countries than I do...

28 children?

bugger that!!!
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Being religious doesn't rule your life or make you a crazy person. It makes you religious.
    Being relgious dictates alot of your life, so it kinda rules your life...

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    It really depends on how serious you take the religion. A lot of people just want to have some relationship with god and they call themselves a christian.

I know a lot of christians who don't have a normal day unless they execute at least 5 of the deadly sins lol

I did not completely read everything posted here, so forgive me if I mention things that have already been mentioned.

Americans are by other western countries, perceived as ignorant, and often dumb. Theres actually statistics showing that on average, the US is one of the 'less intelligent' countries of the Western World.*
    That said, it is completely wrong to generalize in a way as blunt as you have done Stoffi. (Funny fact, Norway & US share the same average IQ) Just because people are shown media that star dumb Americans, that does not mean that Americans in general are dumb.
    We, in other Western countries are led to believe that Americans are patriotic, to the point of nationalism, have hillbilly ways of repairing their homes and crazy **** like that, and are generally violent, fat, and dumb.
    Why is it that we see Americans like that? It might be because we like to see how the media paints a whole nation black, so that our own nation looks a lot better (because everybody is nationalistic on the inside).

Before you generalize on a scale like this, in a community where there are many, many Americans, look up some relevant statistics so as to better support your claim. It has no use claiming that a biased, media-bought view of a country is actually true without any scientific support.

Cheers from a Dutchy who acts as though he did look up things.

*http://sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm (As taken from the book 'Intelligence and the Wealth and Poverty of Nations by Richard Lynn')
    ALL the Memes!
    /Forever Alone

I am not nationlistic on the inside, nor the outside.

I was born in a town called Pinjarra in southwest Western Australia in 1986, i am 25 years old and i have never even travelled outside Western Australia yet, i have spent every single nanosecond of my existence in my part of the world - yet according to the Australian Government i am not native because i am caucasian. Despite the fact i was born here, lived my entire life in West Australia and never experienced any other places or cultures on Earth, i am still regarded as not native to Australia. I am most certainly not nationalistic.

Is Earthalistic a word? :-) If so then that is me.

Yes there are sane Americans, insane Americans, intelligent Americans and stupid Americans, the same as any other country on Earth. I don't see what geography has to do with it.

To be perfectly honest when i think of Americans my mind goes immediately to NASA and the alleged Area 51 and such things, not generally violent, fat and dumb people.

Just my two cents.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    I am not nationlistic on the inside, nor the outside.

I was born in a town called Pinjarra in southwest Western Australia in 1986, i am 25 years old and i have never even travelled outside Western Australia yet, i have spent every single nanosecond of my existence in my part of the world - yet according to the Australian Government i am not native because i am caucasian. Despite the fact i was born here, lived my entire life in West Australia and never experienced any other places or cultures on Earth, i am still regarded as not native to Australia. I am most certainly not nationalistic.

Is Earthalistic a word? :-) If so then that is me.

Yes there are sane Americans, insane Americans, intelligent Americans and stupid Americans, the same as any other country on Earth. I don't see what geography has to do with it.

To be perfectly honest when i think of Americans my mind goes immediately to NASA and the alleged Area 51 and such things, not generally violent, fat and dumb people.

Just my two cents.
    Dont forget the nuclear bomb, the telepohone, electricity, the first revolver, the first non blackpowder firearm, first automobile, first combustion engine.. :P Nasa bah nasa isnt smart its all tech stolen from the alien flagship sitting at area 51... I hear the spacestation is really a death ray.

Thread Information