Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How did USA become such a messed up country?

Post Fiend
    First off I want to clarify one thing. America is NOT the biggest polluter of the world any longer. Look to China and India for that.

Now, where to start for you ignorant people that think America is some third world country. Learn REAL American history NOT the revised American history that some liberal professor is teaching. Where did America start its decline? All you have to do is look back to the early 1900's with America's first "progressive" president. Woodrow Wilson. He wanted complete control aka dictatorship and to get people dependent on government. If you control their what they get you can control them. Next, FDR who was the biggest loser and extended the Great Depression longer than it should have (see the roaring 20s for the successes less government/lower taxes have) Now, for all you people that say we dropped bombs and killed thousands of people..you seem to forget. WE WERE ATTACKED FIRST. Pearl Harbor ring a bell to anyone. I dont see anyone of you saying how many American's were slaughtered at Pearl Harbor before we dropped the bombs. Oh and Norway and Sweden..um if it wasn't for us, you would be speaking German right now. Hitler ring a bell? SO...you should be thanking us, not slamming us for what you have. Now, as far as our educational system....hmm seems we were leading the world until the 1970's UNTIL Jimmy Carter(the worst president ever until now)got the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT involved in 1978 and started the Department of Education. Ever since the US educational system has gone down. ANYTHING the government gets its hands on it ruins. Look at a few examples. Education - steady decline since Carter, AmTrak-broke, Postal Service-broke. The government ruins things...not helps them. Another thing that has America is the bad shape its in is the OVERSPENDING OF GOVERNMENT. Look how much money the US sends to other countries compared to ANY of the ones you tout are so wonderful. We give MORE than your country MAKES in a year yet when you all get in trouble who do run to? Yeah, that's right...The US.
    Lets talk about apples to apples here folks. You cant compare Norway, Sweden who has no where near the population the US does. Anyway, if you want to have a factual debate. I will gladly do it with you..but this is just a quick synopsis. If you want detailed debate..post what you THINK you know and I will give you the REAL facts. Oh...one last thing. As far as Social Security...it was meant to be a "safety net for your last couple years of life...NOT to live off of for 30 years. Social Security is a ponzi scheme started by another PROGRESSIVE president. Every one in this country has the same OPPORTUNITY...Its just not handed to you...you have to WORK FOR IT. Something the last generation has no clue about.
    Last edited by Azartyn; 11-03-2012 at 13:54.

Good point

Well sure you are going to find america haters and lovers here and I seen both on here.
    But from myself I feel US is a little in decline it will need more support for other countries with similar ideas to keep such dominance in the far future. While it may be in decline its not to say their will be a collapse of power in the USA. The biggest issue by far is the US debt problem. And really countries are starting to tire of sending money to USA to provide for the wasteful habits of the past.
    I have yet seen any proof that both sides of politics can save money. They have said oh in 5-10 years they will save this much but we need to spend more now so we can then save later on.
    USA is currently in a very good position by being a reserve currency but gradually that is being worn down and so therefore rating downgrades and more exspensive borrowing occurs.. Sure they can probably dig themselves out of a hole but to be realistic its going to have to hurt badly to get it done.

Most interestingly will be see how they can cut down on one of their most wasteful spending which is defence. Especially now pulled out of Iraq and hopefully out of Aganistan in a few years. But it will mean that for USA to save their economy they will need to focus on inside the borders because they cannot afford to have another iraq or even smaller operations like Libya.

I lose much confidence when I see Republican candidates making oil drilling and oil price at the pump a huge issue. Something like wanting to have petrol(gasoline) at $2.5 a gallon.

I am in China right now and they are paying like 5 dollars a gallon at the moment even with some government subsidies. I know also in my home country Australia its even higher around 6-7 dollars a gallon. Is it a bad thing for americans to size down getting smaller cars to reduce petrol consumption?... maybe pay some tax on the petrol to help pay off the debt, extend the worlds oil supply so we can eventually find alternative ways to have private transport. Sounds all good to me.

This issue is too huge to say all so best not bore you with all detials.
    USA will still be a very powerful nation in the future but it will need to share it with other powers.
    Americans who cannot look at this and feel this true are in state of denial.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by tris06 View Post
    Well sure you are going to find america haters and lovers here and I seen both on here.
    But from myself I feel US is a little in decline it will need more support for other countries with similar ideas to keep such dominance in the far future. While it may be in decline its not to say their will be a collapse of power in the USA. The biggest issue by far is the US debt problem. And really countries are starting to tire of sending money to USA to provide for the wasteful habits of the past.
    I have yet seen any proof that both sides of politics can save money. They have said oh in 5-10 years they will save this much but we need to spend more now so we can then save later on.
    USA is currently in a very good position by being a reserve currency but gradually that is being worn down and so therefore rating downgrades and more exspensive borrowing occurs.. Sure they can probably dig themselves out of a hole but to be realistic its going to have to hurt badly to get it done.

Most interestingly will be see how they can cut down on one of their most wasteful spending which is defence. Especially now pulled out of Iraq and hopefully out of Aganistan in a few years. But it will mean that for USA to save their economy they will need to focus on inside the borders because they cannot afford to have another iraq or even smaller operations like Libya.

I lose much confidence when I see Republican candidates making oil drilling and oil price at the pump a huge issue. Something like wanting to have petrol(gasoline) at $2.5 a gallon.

I am in China right now and they are paying like 5 dollars a gallon at the moment even with some government subsidies. I know also in my home country Australia its even higher around 6-7 dollars a gallon. Is it a bad thing for americans to size down getting smaller cars to reduce petrol consumption?... maybe pay some tax on the petrol to help pay off the debt, extend the worlds oil supply so we can eventually find alternative ways to have private transport. Sounds all good to me.

This issue is too huge to say all so best not bore you with all detials.
    USA will still be a very powerful nation in the future but it will need to share it with other powers.
    Americans who cannot look at this and feel this true are in state of denial.
    I think industrialized nations need to get off the oil wagon, period.

Nevermind climate change, oil is a limited ressource which is in great part concentrated in a politically unstable areas of the world.

Given our current infrastructure, if the price of oil soared too high, our economy would collapse and a lot of people would starve to death (or freeze to death in the winter for northern nations) and generally have no means of transportation.

Peak oil is a real issue and looking at Republican/Conservative policies, it seems like they will do something about it... when the problem hits us right in the face.

That's not proactive politics, these are politics of reaction and with the knowledge base that we have, we can do a lot better than that.

Sure, renewable alternative energy sources would cost more in the short term, but then how much is the stability and long term well being of the current prosperity we are experiencing worth to you?

For my part, I'd rather have a few less gysmos, but be guaranteed that there will be food on the table 15 years from now.

The problem with modern economy is that it gets hooked on useless crap rather than what we urgently need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemia View Post
    then you are of the generation who seeks pity and look to the government to fix everything
    I'm of the generation that doesn't give a damn. The government won't fix anything until it is wiped clean and their roles rewritten. There is no will to do so at this point.
    So I sit here and watch and form opinions. We can talk about things until our faces turn blue but until there is a drastic change, it's not going to be any better. We've
    been slipping down the slope for decades because (in my opinion) of partisan politics, they're too worried about their party and not worried enough about what is happening
    to the country and the people.

Quote Originally Posted by tris06 View Post
    Is it a bad thing for americans to size down getting smaller cars to reduce petrol consumption?... maybe pay some tax on the petrol to help pay off the debt, extend the worlds oil supply so we can eventually find alternative ways to have private transport. Sounds all good to me.
    There is a tax on gas here. I'm not sure what the percentage is, if it is state mandated or federalized.
    Last edited by flutterby; 11-03-2012 at 20:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemia View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with everything you have said

say what you want, say what you will. If you are not an american or have not visited our country then do not be so biased and quick handed to judge. (white trash ghetto) Your attempts to even prevent an argument is so infinitesimal that you make my generalization look like an educated opinion. that is how bad you are making your self look (forgive me for insulting, however, if he wants to troll and act like a jerk then this arrogant and ignorant person should get a life) like a fool!

It is sad. all you want to do is dirt talk us and downgrade us? really?
    There's only one person dirt talking and trolling here and that person is you. Learn to cope with criticism, it's part of everyone's world.

It hardly matters if I'm an American or have visited America or not. Americans can be ignorant and stupid and not know anything about their own country(as can anyone else in other countries) and if I visited the US, I wouldn't learn much about anything.

If you can't deal with criticism, don't post here.

To the other posters:

I too agree that welfare isn't something you're supposed to live off for years and years, as many people do in Norway. Norway has the highest number of people on welfare in the world, including retired people. This is due to a mix of several factors, high life expectancy, lazy people encouraged by the welfare system and immigrants from third world countries. Immigrants from certain muslim countries in Africa and the Middle East just don't work, with 75-80% of them being on welfare even after decades in Norway. They know more about the Norwegian welfare system than Norwegians do and come because of this. Absolutely apalling if you ask me.

I also know several people who chose to stop working and went on welfare instead. Also, if you're a single mum with 4-5-6 kids(like many people(50%) from a certain country speculate in by divorcing their husband on paper but not in reality), you will make 70000-90000 dollars a year.

The US on the other hand, is on the other end of the scale. Social mobility is completely fekked up and if you're born into poverty, you'll definitively stay there. 15% of the population(45 million people!!!) live in absolute poverty and lots more can be considered poor, "trailer trash". Your jails are absolutely horrible and can only be compared with near third world countries. Yes, criminals must be punished but not like that. Any person who has to serve time will be forced into gangs for protection, making him more criminal.

Poor people just need a helping hand, they are not lazy, they are not less intelligent, but that's how Americans think of them, just like it was in the 19th century before we grew more civilised. The US is a story of the genre Realism. If your parents are poor, you will be poor. There is no help to be gotten except for the brightest of the brightest. Religious fanatism is spreading and we see the same trend as in Afghanistan and Iraq, it's all going to hell.

History shows us that all great civilisation will fall and the US is absolutely on its way down, with China taking over, and maybe even Russia coming back under dictator Putin. The American masses are becoming illiterate fools, it needs to be turned around. Big corps run too much, but who will buy their goods when the Americans can't afford to buy anything?

Btw, how much is a gallon in liters?
    Last edited by stoffi; 11-03-2012 at 20:22.
    ABS vs Rangers

About 3.8 liters per gallon, in my area it's roughly .97 a litre. I understand that we don't pay so much for it but I know our minimum wage is lower in my area.
    I would figure out the difference but I have kids screeching over the volume of DBZ. :P
    Last edited by flutterby; 11-03-2012 at 22:05.

Post Fiend
    Obviously you people that dont live in the US have no clue how many welfare programs we have here and what amount money it costs people. There are over 40million people on food stamps. Don't get me wrong, I understand people need a hand every once in a while but people live off this their whole life. Another thing you ignorant people have no clue is about the tax structure in the US. Over 48% of the people contribute NOTHING to income taxes and a lot of them actually get a REFUND even though they contribute NOTHING. Our corporate income tax rate is the HIGHEST IN THE WORLD. The government even taxes you and family when YOU DIE(aka a death tax). We pay approximately .48/gal of TAX to the federal government who do NOTHING but cause oil companies problems. Also, you people talking about "alternative energy" it is not feasible and cost twice as much if not more. Let me say this very clear for you ignorant people.....the GOVERNMENT, especially the current administration is doing NOTHING but making things HARDER for people and is trying to turn the US into Greece. Debate me with facts to prove me wrong NOT opinion. If you can.

Oh and Stoffi...you are so full of s**t about if you are born into poverty you will stay there. People born into poverty here CHOOSE to stay there and game the system. In what country do you know where someone in poverty has a flat screen TV hanging on the wall, driving around in a Cadillac carrying a cell phone. Yeah, sounds like poverty to me. Hard work and personal responsibility will get you out of poverty. Have facts please instead of conjecture and just flat out ignorance.
    Last edited by Azartyn; 11-03-2012 at 22:42.

What about you people in America who are judgmental about people who use government programs even though they work two jobs, pay taxes and can't make ends meet? It doesn't matter if it's the leeches of
    society that use them but everyone looks down on people on welfare programs regardless of whether they abuse them or not.

The first thread I click on has someone *****ing about a mod.

Man, censorship sucks. Now I remember why I left.

Quote Originally Posted by Forwyn View Post
    The first thread I click on has someone *****ing about a mod.

Man, censorship sucks. Now I remember why I left.
    Off-topic much?

I know, right? And you know, anything thats off-topic in a thread as broad as "the problems of country X" must be immediately deleted. Don't contribute anything else to the thread, simply remark on a specific posting's status as off-topic. Good job, clown.

Alternative Energy sources.

I would agree with the americans comments on one thing.

Power Alternatives are too exspensive and therefore not cost effective compared to other forms.

I think the move to electric cars is a good move for short distance driving.. aka under 200km round trips. Then this brings up the issue of how to generate the electricity. Yes over time we should move away from fossil fuels which like oil it has a finite resource.

I am very supportive of more nuclear and hopefully in the not long term future fusion energy.
    Just for those who want to know while fission engergy..aka Nuclear power. Fussion is the same as what happens in our sun. While sounds little futuristic they are building a world first trail power station in France.

Now assuming proper funding nuclear presently can be very safe form of energy and few have ever died from nuclear disasters. I am sad to see my Australian government which is far more socialist than say USA democrats dont even consider this.

I don't think that our government truly believes in long term cost effectiveness. Our society is one of instant gratification. It comes from the attitude
    of "I didn't have this when I was a child so I'm going to give my child whatever they want." In turn, greed has turned into the top priority of the people
    who are 'in charge'. My thoughts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Forwyn View Post
    I know, right? And you know, anything thats off-topic in a thread as broad as "the problems of country X" must be immediately deleted. Don't contribute anything else to the thread, simply remark on a specific posting's status as off-topic. Good job, clown.
    Huh? What the **** are you talking about man?
    Last edited by KuhaN; 12-03-2012 at 08:13.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    I don't think that our government truly believes in long term cost effectiveness. Our society is one of instant gratification. It comes from the attitude
    of "I didn't have this when I was a child so I'm going to give my child whatever they want." In turn, greed has turned into the top priority of the people
    who are 'in charge'. My thoughts anyway.

The problem lies in people wanting money over trying to be productive to society through their own passions. People think they need money in order to be happy and to live, but the truth is that money comes after you're already happy and living.

Your right, our government cares too much about short term payouts, but this is a problem in the larger part of society, not just our government (im talking about everywhere in the goddamn planet).

Money isn't the problem though, the problem lies in man, and man's inability to become something greater than a mindless beast.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Thread Information