Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How did USA become such a messed up country?

Quote Originally Posted by Magn View Post
    Natural Selection nuts make me laugh.

They watch all those action movies and then figure that the fitness of someone is measured by how well they would survive in the jungle with a spear (or some modern variation).

I wonder how geniuses like Einstein or Newton would have fared under those standards.

If you look at some of the greatest systems on the planet (the human body included), they include parts that could not survive on their own, but that thrive as a group.

Isolationism was never our strong suit. Hundreds of species fare way better as lone wolves than we do.

Our most significant technical or social advances are the fruit of contributions from hundreds of individuals.

Yes, there is a natural selection, but where you err is in it's scope. Survival for a specie as social as human beings is not measured at the individual level, but at a group level.

Can we get our act together, capitalize everyone's strengths and help them overcome their weaknesses?

When someone that is a valuable member of your society needs a hand, will you prop him up or laugh in his face and call him weak?

First of all, you have no idea what I'm doing so you can't rightly assume that I'm sitting on my ass doing nothing (my profession does require a lot of sitting however so I'll make you right on the first half of your statement).

Second, debating about my viewpoints is a lot different from *****ing.
    So im supposed to help people that cannot help themselves? No thanks. And those technological innovations came from less than 1% of the population.

I recommend reading this book by Ayn Rand: "Atlas Shrugged".

After you finish reading it come back to me, it might take you awhile though. Remember to read the entire book, not just a page and then be judgemental about it because you didnt agree with the first page.

Also, one last thing, if i deem a person is valuable to me and to society then obviously i would help this person. However, the problem is that i dont see too many people as valuable to society or to myself.

Would i ever give money to a homeless beggar on the streets? Never in my life.
    Last edited by KuhaN; 13-03-2012 at 21:12.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by KuhaN View Post
    So you guys think Americans really care about Obamas religion? Might be true for ppl over the age of 40, but not the case, at least, for the younger generation.

I dont think this has anything to do with America tbh, it's more of an age problem. The traditional and older generation will care about Obamas religion, while the younger generation will probably care less. This is probably the case all around the world, not just in America.

Agree or disagree?
    I care as much about Obama's religion as I did with Clinton's tryst in the oval office. Not much at all. What people do behind closed doors matters little to me. I'm one of the few. I don't like the conservatives and I can't stand the liberals either. I think that there is so much talk about how things should be changed and not enough actual change. I think.. I've been repeating myself :P
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Theres one specific reason why I might shift sides and tend to agree with you guys about USA being a messed up Country and that is:

Online poker being illegal in the country :/

If they never regulate it ill likely be moving in the future lol, when i have money and stuff saved up. I would really miss a lot of things in the States though as well. saD :/ I hate the US government, but i love our culture and people.

Forum Addict
    Yes, it will be harder to succeed, but not impossible, so it's not a myth.

Imo, America is the greatest country ever.

Yes, all great countries fall down eventually. That's something we'll have to deal with in the future if it's inevitable.

I'm glad to see you are not that naive.

It IS harder to succeed in the US than in most other Western countries, thus robbing the country of its former slogans saying how easy it is to be selfmade. Upwards mobility can be extremely difficult in the US, unlike e.g. Norway where everyone got the same chances of education and NON-poverty(except if your parents are heroin addicts/plain bad).

So yeah, it is a MYTH that the US is so much easier to make it in than in other countries. I'd never work in the US ever because of the poor employment conditions(and that's often the general opinion), and I will soon be having a MA in English and a teacher's license.

Quote Originally Posted by Azartyn View Post
    Stoffi, you do not have your facts straight whatsoever. 22% of children in this country are in poverty? Really? They have flat screeen TVs, cell phones, their parents have TWO CARS. Poverty huh? Really? How about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and LIVING WITHIN YOUR MEANS and if you cant afford to have a baby KEEP YOUR DAMN LEGS CLOSED.
    Again, have FACTS not what you THINK is correct.

Oh and if the European countries are SO much better then why are they all going bankrupt and trying to implement austerity measures? Greece, Portugal, Spain, France, England? Any of them ring a bell. What happens when you take someone's freebies away? They riot and throw Molotov cocktails at police officers. The ONLY strong country in the European union right now is Germany.

Stoffi...FACT - The US DOES have the HIGHEST CORPORATE tax rate in the WORLD. It used to be Japan but they just lowered theirs. Please get the truth before you make yourself look more foolish. I live here, I used to own a business here and I KNOW what I paid in taxes.

Let me ask you a few simple questions Stoffi, since you're such a genius and have the solution to all the worlds problems....
    1. Why do 50% of Americans pay ZERO income tax and the top 5% pay 80% of ALL the taxes?
    2. Why do single women keep having babies if they cant afford the ones they have now?
    3. If so many people are in poverty...whats going to happen when they run out of OTHERS PEOPLES MONEY? Where do they get their money from then? Damn sure isnt the government. The government doesn't PRODUCE ANYTHING!!(except dependents) and FORCIBLY TAKES what people actually do WORK FOR.

I have some more questions for your brain, but lets see how well you answer these first.

OMG! I just reread your post...the BUFFET TAX? REALLY? LMFAO! Shows just how ignorant you really are. You must watch MSNBC. The taxes Buffet's secretary pays are INCOME TAXES. The taxes Warren Buffet pays are CAPITAL GAINS TAX(15%) from money he earned that was ALREADY TAXED at 33%. So Buffet is paying taxes on money he earns TWICE. *shakes head* Also, if Buffet was SO interested in paying taxes why is Berkshire Hathaway (Buffets Company) fighting so they dont have to pay like $1 billion in BACK taxes? Hypocrisy? I think so! Again, you show your ignorance.

Caaaaalm down....

22% of all children in the US grow up in poverty, yes, and it would seem as if your ignorance is coming out here. Poor by US standards, not African standards. And in Africa, even the poor got cell phones... Also, as I said, millions of millions of Americans work several jobs, they work around the clock and they spend their money on FOOD for their family. Your picture of the poor man in the US has no roots in reality, you live in the 19th century claiming the poor waste aaaaall their money on luxury goods and are poor because they "choose to be".

I reckon you are around 16-20 years old or something, but my advice to you is to go to University when you are old enough and volunteer for a poor-aid program or something, so that you may see how it really is.

Keep your legs closed you say, but the Republicans are against prevention and abortions. Prevention and abortion is quite possibly the best crime/poverty fighter out there because most of the babies aborted are "unwanted" and for a reason. Around 15-20 years after the US made abortion legal, huge results on the crime statistics were seen, as in Australia and Romania as well.

The US economy is in as much negative balance as certain European countries, but can survive it much better.

1) Get your facts straight. The top 5% pay 58.7%(2009) of all income taxes. That just goes to show the huge social differences that exist in the US, a class divided society reminding us about the UK early 20th century. (If you know anything about that)
    50% pay very little because they don't earn much money. I was hoping that would ring some bells with you, but apparently not....

2) That's just how it is, and why prevention and abortion must be made available. It will cost less to give it freely than to let the children be born into poverty and crime. It's that like here as well, people coming from poor conditions are often the ones getting babies early.
    3) Well, those poor people aren't just going to sit on their arses all day long. They will get jobs(jobs paying more than 6 dollars, which is useless), commit less crime due to less need and their children will get a much, much better start to society and have a much better chance of growing up to be something else than a trailer trash criminal.

Yes, the Buffet tax. He never paid 33% tax, his company did and the money stays with company. If he wants money from the company, he should pay normal taxes like everyone else.

I'm just glad I wasn't born into a lower half American family. I would never be able to go to University and make something out of myself and I would probably end up in some poor arse 6 dollars per hour job, if even that, whilst living in a trailer or a dump.

Also, fix your attitude. You strike me as a young, angry boy who lacks the ability to debate. Stop calling people names, stop using caps, stop debating like a 12 year old.

Rofl dude, do you really think americans are like what you hear in the news? The media has got you brainwashed.

Not all ofc, but numbers don't lie. Just a few years ago, there was a survey amongst FOX NEWS viewers whether or not they believed Iraq had WMD's. This was many years after the invasion ofc, only a few years ago. Somewhere around 2/3 thought Iraq had WMD's....

Hail ignorance and they seem to vote Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Azartyn View Post
    First off...The Huffington Post is NOT a credible news source. Secondly...FYI Stoffi the PPP is a DEMOCRATIC run polling group. Again, facts please. Arrianna Huffington is a hypocrite. She was a republican...then a democrat..then republican. She follows the money like any smart business women however her ethics are less than desirable.

You are correct...some people should not vote. Since you want to post links. Ill give you THIS one and can supply many more like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ojd13kZlCA
    It's true enough for Norwegian media to print it in newspapers. Also, as I said before this, other surveys suggest the very same thing, 50% of Americans aren't very bright.

Also, please prove YOUR claims. In addition, youtube is no source unless the video is made by a credible source.

So you guys think Americans really care about Obamas religion? Might be true for ppl over the age of 40, but not the case, at least, for the younger generation.

I dont think this has anything to do with America tbh, it's more of an age problem. The traditional and older generation will care about Obamas religion, while the younger generation will probably care less. This is probably the case all around the world, not just in America.

Agree or disagree?
    Ofc Americans care about religion. A poll about presidential candidates showed that the WORST possible thing a presidential candidate could be was ATHEIST, which was worse than being gay. (And let's face it, many, many republicans hate gays really bad) Also, the republican presidential campaign can be summarised in 3 words, God, Gays and Guns. It seems to be a competition in who is the most Christian.

So yeah, religion is essential.

Keeping people in poverty will only limit yourselves. Let their children have a real chance to grow up and be something and you will see a huge difference benefitting everyone, even the rich.
    Last edited by stoffi; 14-03-2012 at 19:43.
    ABS vs Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post
    Ofc Americans care about religion. A poll about presidential candidates showed that the WORST possibly thing a presidential candidate could be was ATHEIST, which was worse than being gay. (And let's face it, many, many republicans hate gays really bad) Also, the republican presidential campaign can be summarised in 3 words, God, Gays and Guns. It seems to be a competition in who is the most Christian.
    We need to discuss on IRC or MSN or something. Would be interesting.

Still think it's an age issue (regarding the religion bit).

It's not an age issue, it's regional.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    It's not an age issue, it's regional.
    In America it's an age issue.

They call it the Bible belt for a reason, it regional. I live in an area where there is a young community that are very religious and older people who are atheists.
    I'm on the East Coast, in between two major cities. Age is not strictly a factor here and the mid-west and southern states religion is prevalent because of the
    location. Sorry hon, I'm not religious, I haven't raised my kids to be religious and they are. I also study religious history for 'fun'.

They call it the Bible belt for a reason, it regional. I live in an area where there is a young community that are very religious and older people who are atheists.
    I'm on the East Coast, in between two major cities. Age is not strictly a factor here and the mid-west and southern states religion is prevalent because of the
    location. Sorry hon, I'm not religious, I haven't raised my kids to be religious and they are. I also study religious history for 'fun'.
    In california it's an age issue.

If its regional then why are all the kids so laid back about it, while their parents are religious? I see it everywhere, stats has nothing on first hand experiences.
    Last edited by KuhaN; 15-03-2012 at 04:26.

Veteran

our greatest history book is the "bible" or "holy scriptures" lol

maybe the quaran(forgive me for spelling) would be an even better choice for a history book?

I am from the mid-west and while i believe in a greater power, or something above us that is not human or of this world. I am not religious. How many aspiring scientists do you know that are religious? The Mid-West is also highly dependent on its technology, there is also an issue of lack of population to help us sustain the work and care for others.

Veteran
    I'm glad to see you are not that naive.

It IS harder to succeed in the US than in most other Western countries, thus robbing the country of its former slogans saying how easy it is to be selfmade. Upwards mobility can be extremely difficult in the US, unlike e.g. Norway where everyone got the same chances of education and NON-poverty(except if your parents are heroin addicts/plain bad).

So yeah, it is a MYTH that the US is so much easier to make it in than in other countries. I'd never work in the US ever because of the poor employment conditions(and that's often the general opinion), and I will soon be having a MA in English and a teacher's license.

Caaaaalm down....

22% of all children in the US grow up in poverty, yes, and it would seem as if your ignorance is coming out here. Poor by US standards, not African standards. And in Africa, even the poor got cell phones... Also, as I said, millions of millions of Americans work several jobs, they work around the clock and they spend their money on FOOD for their family. Your picture of the poor man in the US has no roots in reality, you live in the 19th century claiming the poor waste aaaaall their money on luxury goods and are poor because they "choose to be".

I reckon you are around 16-20 years old or something, but my advice to you is to go to University when you are old enough and volunteer for a poor-aid program or something, so that you may see how it really is.

Keep your legs closed you say, but the Republicans are against prevention and abortions. Prevention and abortion is quite possibly the best crime/poverty fighter out there because most of the babies aborted are "unwanted" and for a reason. Around 15-20 years after the US made abortion legal, huge results on the crime statistics were seen, as in Australia and Romania as well.

The US economy is in as much negative balance as certain European countries, but can survive it much better.

1) Get your facts straight. The top 5% pay 58.7%(2009) of all income taxes. That just goes to show the huge social differences that exist in the US, a class divided society reminding us about the UK early 20th century. (If you know anything about that)
    50% pay very little because they don't earn much money. I was hoping that would ring some bells with you, but apparently not....

2) That's just how it is, and why prevention and abortion must be made available. It will cost less to give it freely than to let the children be born into poverty and crime. It's that like here as well, people coming from poor conditions are often the ones getting babies early.
    3) Well, those poor people aren't just going to sit on their arses all day long. They will get jobs(jobs paying more than 6 dollars, which is useless), commit less crime due to less need and their children will get a much, much better start to society and have a much better chance of growing up to be something else than a trailer trash criminal.

Yes, the Buffet tax. He never paid 33% tax, his company did and the money stays with company. If he wants money from the company, he should pay normal taxes like everyone else.

I'm just glad I wasn't born into a lower half American family. I would never be able to go to University and make something out of myself and I would probably end up in some poor arse 6 dollars per hour job, if even that, whilst living in a trailer or a dump.

Also, fix your attitude. You strike me as a young, angry boy who lacks the ability to debate. Stop calling people names, stop using caps, stop debating like a 12 year old.

Not all ofc, but numbers don't lie. Just a few years ago, there was a survey amongst FOX NEWS viewers whether or not they believed Iraq had WMD's. This was many years after the invasion ofc, only a few years ago. Somewhere around 2/3 thought Iraq had WMD's....

Hail ignorance and they seem to vote Republican.

It's true enough for Norwegian media to print it in newspapers. Also, as I said before this, other surveys suggest the very same thing, 50% of Americans aren't very bright.

Also, please prove YOUR claims. In addition, youtube is no source unless the video is made by a credible source.

Ofc Americans care about religion. A poll about presidential candidates showed that the WORST possible thing a presidential candidate could be was ATHEIST, which was worse than being gay. (And let's face it, many, many republicans hate gays really bad) Also, the republican presidential campaign can be summarised in 3 words, God, Gays and Guns. It seems to be a competition in who is the most Christian.

So yeah, religion is essential.

Keeping people in poverty will only limit yourselves. Let their children have a real chance to grow up and be something and you will see a huge difference benefitting everyone, even the rich.

you know, you have many claims and many suggestions, you want to know why Americans are the way they are? They look to their government to fix things and rely on them to solve their problems; despite the fact, we are a community resolved around volunteerism and god. We are very giving and happy place, if you only look at the negatives of us as a generality then its all you can comprehend to see, compensating to assume that in that 50% the other 50% is similar and the same to one and alike. While this brings room for rebuttal and opposition I suggest and ask for an opinion. But i would just guess your common knowledge of our country will just put this into the back burner yet again and you be looking like the almighty brain you are. Situational awareness is a difference compared to the studies and smarts of books and universities; moreover, just like you stated before not all Americans have the opportunity of free education so in a way. I feel as though you say we just lay down and accept our fates and die slowly while letting our government run our lives, which is what america has come to. so tell me, is this what you think?

Veteran
    I mean yes, many young Americans if not all (like me) are ignorant; moreover, very ignorant to the fact of what happens in the world around us.

1) either because we do not care
    2) we do not watch the news and are caught up in our own problems and worrying about feeding ourselves or our assignments (studies, believe it or not there are many more opportunities than you think in the states)
    3) it does not pertain to us
    4) making ridiculously long lists that no one will bother reading because they do not care
    5) read the above and tell me if I am missing something "The wise stoffi"

(and I literally mean wise, you are quite versed in the term of what we Americans would call "BullSh!t" that is what we call debate, yet many of us are so blind to the fact and our morals and ideals that we cannot get past our own self indulgences; however, I think this can be said as a general sense for just about any human ;) )

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemia View Post
    our greatest history book is the "bible" or "holy scriptures" lol

maybe the quaran(forgive me for spelling) would be an even better choice for a history book?

I am from the mid-west and while i believe in a greater power, or something above us that is not human or of this world. I am not religious. How many aspiring scientists do you know that are religious? The Mid-West is also highly dependent on its technology, there is also an issue of lack of population to help us sustain the work and care for others.

No time to respond to more atm, will do later, but the Bible and the Quaran are NOT history books. All the stories are written down hundreds of years after it actually happened and most stories are full of human superstition. Noah's arch is one such thing which never happened as it is quite impossible, but with their limited knowledge back then, they thought it possible.
    There is history in the Bible though, just get it confirmed from real history books first. The Bible is first and foremost a book of BELIEF.
    ABS vs Rangers

Veteran
    No time to respond to more atm, will do later, but the Bible and the Quaran are NOT history books. All the stories are written down hundreds of years after it actually happened and most stories are full of human superstition. Noah's arch is one such thing which never happened as it is quite impossible, but with their limited knowledge back then, they thought it possible.
    There is history in the Bible though, just get it confirmed from real history books first. The Bible is first and foremost a book of BELIEF.

there is a saying that we students use my friend "you gotta get through the fluff of a book to get the facts or the knowledge you seek" ;) (have you ever heard of it before?, and while the bible is a book of belief so is the quaran, yet there are historical marks in it. So who's to say a bunch of old men from ancient greece or even sumeria [E.G. they built on it over and over? from past generations to their present]) Then again to state the bible is a lie made of human superstition within a modern era is either a claim or opinion?

However, the point in term that you say they write it after it actually happened hundreds of years before. this would confirm the above, yes?

To hold a claim that can be true like this yes, but yet if it were released we would see a modern version of the "book of eli" I assume you've seen that movie too?

Thread Information