Thread: Various Suggestions

Various Suggestions

Race Changes:

Dwarves
    Add bonus:
    Each peasant fills 2 jobs

This will help Dwarves better utilize their BE bonus. It'll also help out their economy or allow for more networth efficient armies, all while providing minimal increase on their (already strong) explorer potential.
    I think this will make them more appealing. NOTE: Province income will be determined by jobs filled - peasants will not produce double gold.

Orcs
    Remove penalty:
    -10% building efficiency

Orcs are already stripped of any offensive TM potential, don't damage their efficiency as attackers too. Orc's attacker bonuses aren't as useful as they appear, when compared to the likes of Undead for example.
    +25% gains is of course very nice and helps for the first few days of a war but beyond that they will become quickly warn down. The increased gains count for nothing when Orcs struggle to maintain armies strong enough to justify it.
    Removing the BE penalty if nothing else will give them a little help with efficiency, which in turn will help their economy.

Halflings:
    Remove bonuses:
    +1 Stealth
    -50% Thief cost
    Add bonuses:
    -1 Stealth cost
    75% Immunity to Clear Sight and Watchtowers

Add spell:
    Invisibility

Elite:
    6/6 6nw 500g

These changes will put Halfling back in the game as a decent AT. The change to the Stealth mechanic is intended to remove the demand of increased activity in order to best utilize. Now a Halflings stealth will replenish at a normal rate but can provide more ops per login.
    This will also make them even more attractive as intel gatherers by making their SoT's free of charge. The ability to bypass Clear Sight and Watchtowers more easily is designed to make them more viable in taking down turtled provinces (particularly Faerys), which is one of the main reasons people go Rogue in the first place.

Elves:
    Remove bonus:
    +2 Mana
    Add bonus:
    -1 Mana cost

Same reason as the Halfling change.

Personality Changes:

The Rogue
    Remove:
    +1 Stealth
    Add:
    -1 Stealth cost

Mechanic Changes:

Do something more with Mercenaries. Make a building lower their cost, or give reduced cost or increased Mercenary strength to a race or personality.

No cap to wage rates. Let a player pay their military as much as they like, giving diminishing returns the higher it is set.

Let players reinvest their science books. Let them remove a specified number of books from a particular pool with x% lost permanently, and the rest becoming blank books to invest into a science of their choosing. This allows them to deal with networth inefficiency from being chained down a long way, or lets them adjust their playstyle if they so wish.

Create an option on KD pages to let people go straight to their magic, operations or war room pages targeting a specified target. A simple convenience addition.

Allow players to restart their province (changing race/personality), whenever they wish without leaving their KD. Being forced to play an entire age with a setup you're not enjoying isn't good.

Allow kingdom mates to swap provinces, officially binding login details to the other province - incase they're bored of their setup and role or think another player will do a better job etc. Maybe make this a shop option.

Post Demon
    These so called balance changes are bad. Buff orc? U notice what race RoA is using this age?

The changes to personalities are terrible, and giving halflings a 6/6 elite @ 5 nw with +10% population bonus is just retarded they would be broke.

I didn't say anywhere these are balance changes. These are suggestions to make the least popular choices more appealing. And I put halfling elite at 6nw. Also I only gave 1 personality suggestion lol, did you even read this or just enjoy flaming for no good reason? :)
    Last edited by Jalias; 20-02-2012 at 20:24.

I'm not going to respond to every single thing you said but your suggestion to have Elf use less mana on spells would make sure all the top kingdoms would pick Elf for the extra dicing options
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Post Demon
    I really like the halfer/rogue having infinite ops. I just love wars where everyone it running the exact same strat. Whoever opens NS first loses. As in losses 90%+ of their defense, then gets 4x chained instantly.

I assume you didn't intend to allow -1 stealth per SoT. (Never mind if NS is still 3% stealth until war - I can recharge stealth!)

Cutting the sarcasm, some of this might have promise. But you need to be looking at things like super dice, or infinite NS, or anything like that to make sure there aren't show stopping balance problems. -1 Stealth, for example, is just broken - you can't fix that.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Ethan, -1 stealth per SoT? Of course not, it would still be 0. Did I really have to explain that? I thought it was common sense to assume that's what I meant.
    My suggestion means Halfling/Rogue would get free SoTs. I think basically all other ops cost at least 3 normally, and more on failures. So Ha/Ro will do most ops with 1 stealth each. I admit that's a bit powerful, so maybe replace the Rogue bonus with -1 cost and leave Halfling with +1 regen.

5regen 3 cost = 1.66 ops her hour
    3regen 1 cost = 3 ops per hour
    4regen 2 cost = 2 ops per hour

So the latter is fair enough I think.

As for the Elf bonus it would apply in War only, just as their +2 mana currently does.

Do I actually have to explain the obvious to make people take this seriously? Why is it people always jump straight to finding the holes instead of suggesting how it could work, if they're in doubt of what I'm intending? I've already considered the holes I just didn't feel the need to explain the obvious, but apparently I do - lesson learned.

I've seen no comments on the rest of the ideas yet, don't tell me they're all bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalias View Post
    I think basically all other ops cost at least 3 normally
    Except in war when offensive ops and spells cost only 2 stealth/mana
    -2 stealth per would mean 0 stealth per NS (or Prop)
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Regular
    "Dwarves Add bonus: Each peasant fills 2 jobs" - i dont like this idea very much, as it will allow dwarf to train even bigger army without to worry about BE. isnt also force the game to have uniqe code for dwarf, as the formula for raw income will have to handle this uniqe case? (insrad of haveing mod like other formula, you need to change the basic one)

orcs: i think it's fair penalty, it was needed to balance them out.
    halfer "75% Immunity to Clear Sight and Watchtowers" - how attacker should try to set T def then?
    for the rest of halfer\elf, you got ethan and leo answer.

"Do something more with Mercenaries..." - dont mind at all about that one, not for good or for bad.

"No cap to wage rates..." - that's a nice idea, but i think it give extra power to march\human as they can set higer wages and get the extra MO while attacking races cant.

"Let players reinvest their science books..." - thats great idea

"Create an option on KD pages to let people go straight to their magic, ..." - yes, it was offer befor and it will make life more simple.

"Allow players to restart their province (changing race/personality), whenever they wish without leaving their KD" - good idea, but it should be limited, maybe 1 or 2 times per age.

"Allow kingdom mates to swap provinces... Maybe make this a shop option." - i'm against that one, i think it will set line of jumping players max out provs in thier kd and then jump up, monarch can today give unactive prov to new player, it think it's ok the way it is now.

You can already change your race/pers setup as often as you like. It's available as a premium feature.
    Allowing kingdom mates to swap provinces is just a matter of letting them abandon their province and inviting them into a new one.

Reinvesting sci is a bad idea.If your Orcs steal too many crime and sci books, you should aim for different targets with your learns.

Post Demon
    If reinvesting sci eats 10-20% of the books, or something in that range... you really just want to direct your own sci investment to rebalancing over time. 'Tis primarily intended to allow an NW drop after a deep chain, to take yourself out of range. It costs, and fairly hard, but gives you an "out" for the "NW bloat". Now... turns out, for housing sci serious NW bloat won't set in till at about 10,000 bpa (yup, read that number again), so I don't think it is actually a problem often enough to care about. But it is in theory a situation where it'd be helpful. (And it'd help a T/M that gained military sci on a learn... although how that'd happen is a bit beyond me.)

Halfer - I like the elite as is. It is stronger than it looks, though it isn't broken the way it was before it ate the NW nerf in the final changes. I've always thought dwarf as a better fit for a 6/5, 6/6, or 7/6 choice (6/6 is hard cause NW hurts the offensive use of it) - halfer feels good to me. 6/6 at 6 NW is too strong with halfer's other buffs. Although... the 6/6@6 on offense is actually worse than the o-spec 5/0@4. But the drop of .25 NW, and the fact that you eat a lot less NW bloat from running a partially dynamic defense... ok, not a bad change. I ran the numbers and it doesn't make a big difference in balance, and I'd consider it a fine tuneup *if* halfer were coming up a bit short on power. I'll tell you if I think so after the age - so far it's power looks good though, so I'd recommend against this buff (in isolation).

Other stuff... ya, tuneups of the interface are good. Separate from balance, IMO 'tis a different thread. I will highlight: "swap" with kingdom member - this can already happen, but is abnormally pricey (takes 3 trades?) - a way to do it at 1 trade cost would be cool. Needs a "cooldown" or cost of some sort so it isn't a tactical option though. Otherwise 'tis just a costly x-logging feature, which is bad. (Have we considered that problem for normal trades enough?)
    Last edited by Ethan; 21-02-2012 at 17:25.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Thanks for the more constructive replies guys... I appreciate it, makes for an interesting read too.
    I have to be honest in saying I didn't really even consider balance when coming up with these ideas, I just threw them together for something to do based on how I think races should be play.

It's too early in the age to really tell which races even need rebalancing though so I'll save that for later. I was just trying to tackle the popularity side of things, but least popular doesn't always mean worst.

I'm quite new back to the game after several ages away so I'm not completely clued up on things yet.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Popularity isn't an indicator of strength.

Thread Information