Thread: Building Strategy

Post Demon

Building Strategy

Hi.

I was wondering how players devise their building strategies... like, what do you tell a new player that joins your kingdom?

I have my own thoughts on what works for me, but I'd rather hear from players who've done better.

Regular
    Define your active role in the kingdom; attacker thief or mage. Choose a secondary role. Pick your race/personality. Allocate buildings according to those three things while trying to minimize the amount of land spent on farms (it will vary according to race). Put up enough defense for your tertiary role.

Have a (bare) minimum of 40 DPA, 1.5 TPA and 0.5 WPA regardless of role. Have a (bare) minimum of 5% Guard Stations and more if you are an attacker. Do not have any building allocated as more than 25% without justification.

Prioritize alchemy as a science.

That's about all I can say with the given information.

Regular
    Some buildings I've seen used over 25% are usually guilds for wizard pumps. Libraries are decent over 25% but I don't find it to be effective, especially long term. Homes have also been used over 25% for population boosts but I don't recommend it to 'new' players as it's a very defined strategy. An undead running ~40% homes has the potential to raise the nastiest army in the game but it requires proper execution.

Many players advise against forts unless running an 'unbreakable' turtle strategy. While it's true that attackers having more offense is more important than having a solid defense if you do the math you'll find that adding forts can free up required defense specs so you can train more elites. As long as your planning to run at least 20% buildings in military bonuses, splitting them equally between Training Grounds and Forts will give you more OPA (assuming you want to keep 40DPA army out and not suicide for gains).

The game is not static and things are always changing around so just have fun and work with your teammates. Keep up to speed on the forums and chat rooms your kingdom provides and most importantly, have fun.

Running over 25% Banks for Humans and/or Merchants is fairly common. Whereas Armouries specifically defray military costs, Mills building costs, and so forth, the money from Banks can be spent anywhere.

In my opinion, the key is to pay attention to how things interact with one another. As with Banks above, the bonuses multiply to far greater effect than either could attain on its own. Part of above interaction includes activity - someone who logs on for an hour twice a day will have to prioritize differently than someone who is on for twenty minutes six times a day.

I see the Homes issue more a matter of anticipated growth. An active Attacker (or even a busy Explorer) will have a reasonably constant influx of new lands so can afford to run fewer Homes without sacrificing much. More static Provinces need more Homes (or SERIOUS investment in Population Science) to keep up the efficiency of the buildings they do have. Due to the diminishing returns for %-based Building Effects (which most Buildings have), one needs to maintain a balance between more of a given building and more workers in order to get the best results.
    The only people who never make mistakes are those who never try to accomplish anything.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoCrojo View Post
    Many players advise against forts unless running an 'unbreakable' turtle strategy. While it's true that attackers having more offense is more important than having a solid defense if you do the math you'll find that adding forts can free up required defense specs so you can train more elites. As long as your planning to run at least 20% buildings in military bonuses, splitting them equally between Training Grounds and Forts will give you more OPA (assuming you want to keep 40DPA army out and not suicide for gains).

The game is not static and things are always changing around so just have fun and work with your teammates. Keep up to speed on the forums and chat rooms your kingdom provides and most importantly, have fun.
    alot of people recommend running forts and tg to improve your "numbers" for a strait attacker however in war as u continue to attack the % of land u have in forts will drop and your net defense goes down. Add that to fact that strait attackers often get ns/fireballed going into war with forts as an attacker limits your adaptability. i would much rather add 5% forts during war from zero and have started with 40 dpa than to enter war at 40 dpa with 10% forts hit twice for land realize im being ignored/shelled/semi-chained and have to continue to build forts to keep up the dpa (or spend my dragon gold on def specs), that the alternative of building the homes/GS/rax....that i feel add to my in war strength.

The best strategy u can run with any ATTACKING race is to have one that is easily flexible. if you have 10% new land from a hit being able to place that land into few buildings types to give your prov the counter/growth needed during war is the most important thing u can plan for when determining your build.

Quote Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
    I see the Homes issue more a matter of anticipated growth. An active Attacker (or even a busy Explorer) will have a reasonably constant influx of new lands so can afford to run fewer Homes without sacrificing much. More static Provinces need more Homes (or SERIOUS investment in Population Science) to keep up the efficiency of the buildings they do have. Due to the diminishing returns for %-based Building Effects (which most Buildings have), one needs to maintain a balance between more of a given building and more workers in order to get the best results.
    I haven't done the math in a long time but the last time everyone flamed vine's 40% homes i think it was shown that in MOST cases the increase BE you get from homes is lower than the % buildings you place in homes. Thus its typically better to just use the homes on regular land unless your looking for the extra birth rate.
    Last edited by Persain; 20-02-2012 at 21:17.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
    Hi.

I was wondering how players devise their building strategies... like, what do you tell a new player that joins your kingdom?

I have my own thoughts on what works for me, but I'd rather hear from players who've done better.
    Basically: Here's the general guidelines and sample simplified builds that make it easy on everyone to do fairly well. If you can do better, be my guest and show it beforehand and go nuts.

I find that it largely depends on who's giving the advice. My old monarch was so hard line that he literally gave them a follow or DDD approach of course after grabbing their survey if they aren't keeping up with the kd. It had it's good and bads but usually they improved but they usually went back to their old habits and built what they wanted, ensueing in even more follow or DDD threads in the forum.

I'm more lax in my approach. I keep an eye on new provinces but make sure that they communicate firstly. I let them do what they want but as soon as they start going wrong I will pm them or make a thread in the forums highlighting problems with their build and how to improve. This age I literaly made a comment to another kdmate "I wonder how long till blabla quits". He never said he was new to the game but after failing an attack and exploring to 500 acres to be hit down (eventually to 398 acres) I grabbed his intel and posted in forums what he should do as well as pm'ing him, he opened up and has gotten his build on par as well as making successful attacks. He did however within 1 day pm me asking if he could give me his account details lol while getting his build fixed.

As for giving builds you must take into account their race/perso choices as they cannot change after joining so you give them advice according to how you would play it or if you are not experienced enough with a race/perso then get a kdmate to. Usually I find it best to explain major changes to their build and give them 'kd' dpa/tpa/wpa guidelines. Main reason being you want them to become self sufficient asap.

tl;dr: Give build and DDD option or Give build and explain changes and give them 'kd' tpa/dpa/wpa requirements.
    Tis a dog world out there, eat or be eaten, drink or be drunk.
    Enjoy every minute. There's plenty of time to be dead.

Post Demon
    "What do you tell a new player that joins your kingdom?"

Frankly, if they are new to the whole game, I won't even talk much about build strat. I'd say "Read the descriptions, read the wiki, pick what you think will work. If you are still here after a war or two, we can talk %s." As to general guildlines - focus on 1, at most 2, things as a province. Make one of them attacking - no matter what you end up liking best, you need an age as an attacker at some point, just to understand them. As to buildings: spread the buildings around, but make sure every building you build is helping you towards 1 of those 1 or two things you need to do. Whatever you aren't focused on, give it as little defense as you can get away with. Yes - first and foremost, this means *defense* - almost every new player is too defensive. If you must screw up - do it by having too *little* defense - you'll learn a lot more from it, and frankly, it won't hurt us as much.

That said - a lot of people focus a lot of effort on builds. And they can matter a fair bit, once the big stuff like offense and activity are taken care of. But most of that stuff is things like trying to get another 2-3% offense out of a particular setup (or gaining longevity at a cost of offense, or whatever), which really won't matter if you think 70 dpa is good for an attacker. Combined with how much of an "art" some building choices are... there really isn't a good replacement for experience when it comes to builds. Give theory instead of %s (or, at least, *before* the %s) to explain why it should change, and anyone who sticks with this game is gonna get it fairly fast. (Or, at least, some of it - it never fully sinks in it seems.)
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Give theory instead of %s (or, at least, *before* the %s) to explain why it should change, and anyone who sticks with this game is gonna get it fairly fast. (Or, at least, some of it - it never fully sinks in it seems.)
    That's precisely the approach I was trying for in the 'Diary of a Dwarf Merchant Attacker' thread.

The problem with most 'builds' is that they are inherently static, while the game itself is dynamic. If a player has at least a basic understanding of the theories involved in a build - WHY certain Buildings are preferred over others for a given strategy - they're in a better position to understand what needs to change when the situation does.
    The only people who never make mistakes are those who never try to accomplish anything.

Thread Information