Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrids

Hybrids are definitally useful for honor. Even KD's warring for land have often had 2-3 support hybrid provinces. They aren't as good right now simply because there isn't that many great hybrid options atm. Human jumps to mind as a potentially good hybrid race running 3.5-4 TPA and thieves dens. But would you rather have another 20 OPA and run 2 tpa? Probably...

The biggest issue for hybrids atm is that the only race with +effectivness is fae ^_^
    My life is better then yours.

Quote Originally Posted by the great kN herself View Post
    the only way hybrids are 'situational' is that you might be in a 'situation' where the KD you're warring has an inferior tpa or wpa to your KD and you're able to op the hell out of them. Doesn't make you a hybrid. Warring a KD of dicing UD merchants that have a better wpa and start using NM doesn't suddenly make them a hybrid kd.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the basic idea with hybrid is that you attack and do ops. You can call those Undead/Merchants attackers all day long if it pleases you, but the fact of the matter is, they are ACTING as hybrids. So they are hybrids.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    If I'm attacking and getting intel, am I a hybrid?

No, you're a faery silly!

Post Demon
    If you have a tpa advantage over an enemy, and have the stealth after intel, you're practically obliged to run ops on him.
    The point is that players should pay attention to enemy thief defenses before calling themselves hybrids. A 5 mod tpa province doesn't matter against a 3 mod tpa defense plus watchtowers, add CS on to that and the hybrid has a substantial fail rate. Training defensive thieves costs less and carries less risk than training higher tpa to compensate. Yet if you keep thinking to yourself "I'm a Hybrid, I attack and do ops!" instead of doing the sensible thing and dropping hybrid-ness, you just hurt your own effectiveness as an attacker. Basically, you have to adjust to the circumstances in order to make opping as an attacker work, and not assume that you'll always be an awesome thief without putting in investments and sacrificing a lot as an attacker.

Post Fiend
    Well don't get me wrong attackers get easyily get 30-40 opa more than hybrids getting to 110-130 opa as heavy attacker with 35 dpa 2tpa and 1 wpa aint hard

But 5 mod tpa aint an hybrid aint gonna say which will be ;)

But have fun with your CS good kd's will just MV it off and than do their thief run + mage ops than chain you down if they want ;)

It's old news that fluidity wins wars. Designate all the roles you want it will only hinder you.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Post Fiend
    Depends what you want in wars :)

I expect the same thing I always get in wars: sixty thousand acres and a cute little win on the kd page.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Crypticterror View Post
    Well don't get me wrong attackers get easyily get 30-40 opa more than hybrids getting to 110-130 opa as heavy attacker with 35 dpa 2tpa and 1 wpa aint hard

But 5 mod tpa aint an hybrid aint gonna say which will be ;)

But have fun with your CS good kd's will just MV it off and than do their thief run + mage ops than chain you down if they want ;)
    Not if they get chained for having a crap military, and it shows that you didn't read anything anyone else has wrote and just think "HUR HUR X MOD TPA = WIN". Your plan works great against weaker kingdoms for farming out honor, but any strategy would win. A kingdom of merely competent players, not even necessarily at your level re: organization, will be able to adapt if they have the slightest inkling of sense.

The thing that's more commonplace are heavy attackers who don't know their thief and mage power, and even refuse to run ops against a 0 tpa target because "they're not t/ms". It's stupid crap like that that costs kingdoms a lot of potential. Or players who will never train up thieves in war thinking that it's not important, including self-professed hybrids who need to do so more than others.

wether hybrids are a good choice depends on what you like. If you like to be a tm, you should play one. If you like being pure attacker, be one, if you like to be hybrid be one.
    Being a good hybrid is a lot more difficult then being a good tm or a good pure attacker for sure, but it's not completely impossible dispite the changes going towards pure attackers and tm's a lot more. i'm pretty sure that is to make it easier for new players. But like some people pointed out before: in certain situations it's handy to have hybrids, in some situations they are kind of useless.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    Fact: In my first draft of that post I had the sun revolving around the earth.
    Nothing wrong with that - just makes a few equations more annoying is all. (Although the newly discovered FLT particles might be putting the kabosh on that.)

Seriously though, what exactly is wrong with starting as a "lite hybrid" and deciding which way to go a day or so into it? (Sure, if you know your opponent well that moves into the "pre-war prep"... but for most, you spend your first day or two changing your build%s anyway, cause you didn't have all the intel you needed.) As an example, I always ran (later age) about 3 raw TPA as human sage, but with mods could hit about a 9 mod. Often I'd steal horses, NS a bit, then switch to rob ops and kidnap as I grew and tpa fell. But if a kingdom had bad thief defense and I could get though on NS of some useful targets... I'd keep training the thieves, try to get up to 4 raw. The "missing" offense never really mattered then, cause I dropped my targets def so *everyone* could hit easier.

'Tis that "adapt" concept everyone keeps saying... isn't that what is meant by a lite hybrid anyway? I'm a lot less a fan of the "a/T" type halfer rogue, for example... cause it usually seems they are trying to play a super thief, but with enough offense to look like they can attack - sure, that's been dead as a good plan for a while... but it never really was too smart to start with. I figure everyone that is a "big A" knows first priority is to have enough offense to hit within range - T or M are "continuous", half TPA can still do stuff, just not as well. Attacking is mostly binary - either you have the offense needed, or you fail at the attacker role. Was that part ever really in question though?
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    Fact: There is no racial thievery modifier except for faery, which is no longer a viable attacker.
    During freeze period, this fact led me to the conclusion that the only potential hybrid possibility for this age is human/sage. Pure attacker for half the age until +120% crime science is hit, along with big housing bonus to increase maybe 1-2 raw tpa. Only 2/3 of the way through the age will I actually be a "hybrid" though.

Anyways I might regret it and wish I went pure A. Ill let you know how it works out

Quote Originally Posted by DDodge View Post
    During freeze period, this fact led me to the conclusion that the only potential hybrid possibility for this age is human/sage. Pure attacker for half the age until +120% crime science is hit, along with big housing bonus to increase maybe 1-2 raw tpa. Only 2/3 of the way through the age will I actually be a "hybrid" though.

Anyways I might regret it and wish I went pure A. Ill let you know how it works out

Nooblet worded it well IMO;
    Quote Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
    If you have a tpa advantage over an enemy, and have the stealth after intel, you're practically obliged to run ops on him.
    The point is that players should pay attention to enemy thief defenses before calling themselves hybrids. A 5 mod tpa province doesn't matter against a 3 mod tpa defense plus watchtowers, add CS on to that and the hybrid has a substantial fail rate. Training defensive thieves costs less and carries less risk than training higher tpa to compensate. Yet if you keep thinking to yourself "I'm a Hybrid, I attack and do ops!" instead of doing the sensible thing and dropping hybrid-ness, you just hurt your own effectiveness as an attacker. Basically, you have to adjust to the circumstances in order to make opping as an attacker work, and not assume that you'll always be an awesome thief without putting in investments and sacrificing a lot as an attacker.
    Get intel on the kd you want to war prior, not just SoT and SoS but Surveys as well as infiltrates (0% WT and 1tpa only? oppertunity time!). If the kd your facing has high WT% and TPA along with CS then IMO Human A/t would be better swapping TD for WT or some other attacking building (WT IMO cause faes can hurt).

DDodge can confirm I am a oppertunist when it comes to thievery, last age I played orc but still went into wars with the idea of finding some n00b to kidnapp as much as possable from so I can just keep drafting nonstop and train(last age with those gains and constantly hitting multi-taps hurt my pezzie % every time), this age I have started with the same kinda attitude. No reason why attackers can't help opp when we have the strength to. Hybreds IMO need to look at the warring kd and decide if there thievery will be good enough, or look at your own strat and see if you can put some players from the op kd into a state where they are weak to your A/t's. If they can't act as good enough A/t then look at playing full attacker, swap TD for rax/WT/GS... what-ever takes your fancy. keep the rTPA for def and potential TPA def during growth but plan on being a 'full attacker'.
    Sometimes tho it's worth having a few ppl who can (can not must)play hybred well as it does lead to potentially more possabilities, unless you got a kd fully active then people growing is a good possability to face during wars and those who get growth are more vulnrable to hybreds then they was previously.

For me it is a bit like chess, you don't use a knight to do a bishops job.
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Nothing wrong with that - just makes a few equations more annoying is all. (Although the newly discovered FLT particles might be putting the kabosh on that.)
    fyi no FLT particles, it was an error in the data transmission rate of a cable.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/22/...duct-of-error/
    :D

And goodz gives a good description of hybrid use, 2-3 is decent in a waring kd IF your winning to whore honor. But in most of the "top" wars i'd drop my hybridness unless i could become unbreakable.
    Last edited by Persain; 02-03-2012 at 18:06.

Thread Information