Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrids

Post Demon
    You can switch between the two with a little effort. If I were human/sage I'd rather jack up my gains science on top of the usual economic sciences - Crime is situational, but Gains is always good in war. You can still get better Crime science than anyone who isn't human or sage, or at least equal.

A large factor in making a/t suck now is the lack of good gc targets due to the number of players leaving, and the new intel system draining stealth. Money theft was one of the ways a/t make their economy work out of war, and now it's significantly harder.

Post Demon
    speaking of that i have some stealth i need to burn

Quote Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
    A large factor in making a/t suck now is the lack of good gc targets due to the number of players leaving, and the new intel system draining stealth. Money theft was one of the ways a/t make their economy work out of war, and now it's significantly harder.
    the lack of players has the same effect on plunders, pretty hard to find a good one (maybe not when you are tiny). And a pure A might drain his stealth very quickly aswell since best plundertargets are ofen tm's or a/t's.
    Robbing gc oow is still a huge advantage for a/t's over A's imo.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by the great kN herself View Post
    You're kidding with the AT At AM Am thing, right?
    And the only way hybrids are 'situational' is that you might be in a 'situation' where the KD you're warring has an inferior tpa or wpa to your KD and you're able to op the hell out of them. Doesn't make you a hybrid. Warring a KD of dicing UD merchants that have a better wpa and start using NM doesn't suddenly make them a hybrid kd.
    Wow, this thread went south fast. No I am not Kidding about AT, At, aM, or Am. There is no kidding about it. Those are the largest hybrid catagories, so the ones I am addressing.

And by situation, I meant as in kingdom setup. Not a per war situation. I guess you could change your build and add in some thieves during war, but unless you are chained that 3 raw will never be 4 or 5 raw. At 1k acres, that is 500k per extra tpa, and you are not going to be static in war, so I see it even harder to change. That extra 500k would be more useful in sending the next dragon in my eyes.

I am not saying what is better, 5 TMs or 5 AT and 5 Am. That is up to you and your kingdom to decide. But how I see it, is the more attackers, the better.

Attacking wins wars. Ops help, but you need to attack to win. More effective uniques will win a war more often than lots of ops.
    CanWe

Doing one thing well is easy - super easy when you pick a Race and Personality that emphasize that role (BUTTLOADS of Undead Attackers this Age).

Doing two things (basic hybrid) isn't particularly difficult, though picking the right Race/Personality combo is trickier. If done right, you can be pretty damned formidable in both roles - but still second-rate compared to a pure role. Essentially, you're weakening one strength to strengthen another weakness - and the trade-off frequently works to your overall advantage.

Doing all three (full hybrid) is virtually impossible - by the time you've divided your resources enough to be competent in all three roles, that's all you have. Competent, but not formidable. Later in the game (once Honor and Sciences become major players), an extremely skillful player might be able to pull it off. But, even in the annals of the Greats of Utopia, the number of people capable of this is minuscule.

Hybrids are both viable and useful, but they require skill - and the right combination of Race and Personality - to manage effectively.
    The only people who never make mistakes are those who never try to accomplish anything.

The limiting factors are population space and modifiers, not skill.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Population, Buildings, Race/Personality Modifiers, BE, etc are all tools - the skill is required in wielding them effectively.
    The only people who never make mistakes are those who never try to accomplish anything.

Post Demon
    How to wield a building?

Quote Originally Posted by DDodge View Post
    How to wield a building?
    Hey, it worked for Dorothy! :p

Post Demon
    No, it really is a population and science limitation, and a game mechanic which was mostly introduced to nerf a/t - CB being replaced with SoT and intel ops taking up much more stealth. Hybrids might work against ghetto players who don't think to train more than 1 tpa and don't build watchtowers, but more players have realized that this is a liability and adjusted.
    Even when hybrids were a good strategy, kingdoms were learning to adjust to them and start training more defense thieves. It has always been the case that thief defenses were easier to raise than thief offenses. You can try it yourself, with thieves or mages.

Enthusiast
    Hybrids are not completely useless they have their niche in a majority of kingdoms..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TerricK View Post
    Hybrids are not completely useless they have their niche in a majority of kingdoms..

Bump +1

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    If utopia teaches you nothing else, you should learn that popular =/= good.

Quote Originally Posted by TerricK View Post
    it's true. you need those **** provs in the kd to boost the self esteem of 24 others. Every village needs an idiot to laugh at. In utopia, those are "hybrid" players

Post Demon
    It's not an esteem boost when 5 people in your kingdom call yourselves hybrids and are really lazy.
    I tried training up extra tpa and doing the thief thing for money after last war... it isn't working. :(

Thread Information