Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Add a rule - no war forum spamming

Veteran

Add a rule - no war forum spamming

A few hours ago one of our players was banned for 24 hours due to war forum spamming, while I understand the punishment and the reasoning, I am annoyed by the fact that there is nothing posted anywhere, rules or otherwise, that spamming in such a way is against the rules. Of course you can argue its dishonourable or something but really that can;t be judged without being in the position to udnerstand why the spam was undertaken. In this case its a stubborn monarch who refuses to withdraw, and deletes anything we say or anyhting that his side say when they agree with us that they should withdraw.

So yeah the suggestion is to add a rule that specifically states that forum spamming is against the rules (and that each case will be judged individually), that way you have a rule, but you have room to make an informed decision about what constitues as spam. If a player can be banned for it I see no reason why it shouldn't be listen as a rule now that at least this one occasion has happened. We did read the rules fully and found nothing that even hinted that this would be unacceptable, and I'm posting this thread here even though it will most likely get closed.

Bishop has already disagree to even discuss this issue with me (I'm hoping that itself isn't a reason to get this thread closed), so I decided to try and bring this issue to a wider audience to see if anyone agrees it might be a reasonable idea, people power and all that :).

As a side suggestion, as this wouldn't have happened anyway if this side suggestion gets implemented:

Don't allow war forum posts or threads to be deleted, only edited (with the same kind of ability for mods to see what the post was before the edit), this way you can safely edit out offensive material and still have the proof you need for any reporting you might want to make, or in our case, just being able to see certain people had responded.

Let me know what you think...I know its not a major issue but input would be appreciated

This wont happen. Adding specific rules for every scenario isn't something we will do, for reasons posted already on these forums.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Veteran
    Because you say so...lets see what some other people think, its a suggestion forum after all

Edit: Its not a specific rule either, I said it should b done on a case by case basis pretty much, but if it is considered breaking the rules then I don't see whats wrong with adding somethign along those lines to the rules page.

As i have recently heard, its not common knowledge that its against the rules and may lead to many more bans

there is really no point. a decent king will control his kingdom and teach them not to do such menial things. instead of making this a rule, id say get a decent monarch of that kd. how would you even be able to stop spamming from happening?

Veteran
    spam is easy to stop, forums the world over have had to deal with it, simplest thing i imagine to do would be to implement a system which doesn;t allow duplicate posts, and a system which only allows posts every minute or so

and what would that accomplish? what about this would make the devs work on this instead of attempting to improve the game? as i said, best way to stop spamming is to get a decent king. no decent kd has this problem.

Veteran
    I hear silly ghetto cats may spam...they could class as a decent kingdom. You're failign to take into account the reason for the spamming, it was brought on by the other kingdoms monarch and his behaviour, nothing from my kingdoms monarch would have changed the othe rmonarchs behaviour.

And there wa snothing in the rules against it, so what does the monarch have to do with it at all anyway?

They could delete the spam, or spend time killing a province, but thats not going to stop it happening, just prevent it from happening again, for at least a while.

And yes the time coding the forums could be better used elsewhere, hence why I suggested adding it to the rules, negating the need for any inbuilt systems to try control it.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanReborn View Post
    I hear silly ghetto cats may spam...they could class as a decent kingdom. You're failign to take into account the reason for the spamming, it was brought on by the other kingdoms monarch and his behaviour, nothing from my kingdoms monarch would have changed the othe rmonarchs behaviour.

And there wa snothing in the rules against it, so what does the monarch have to do with it at all anyway?

They could delete the spam, or spend time killing a province, but thats not going to stop it happening, just prevent it from happening again, for at least a while.

And yes the time coding the forums could be better used elsewhere, hence why I suggested adding it to the rules, negating the need for any inbuilt systems to try control it.
    i think its actually that you are failing to understand the game and its dynamics. you should learn this before coming in here with such useless thoughts. a kingdoms demeanor is set by its monarch. a strong monarch prevents childish behavior. that simple. and honestly, if you hate it that badly, then just dont go in the forums.
    Last edited by marve; 28-02-2012 at 17:12.

Veteran
    Omg, miscrediting of our war forum posts! FYI we don't spam in that way. We play a lot of games, have a lot of "three word stories", address various actions that takes place inside war with commentary etc. There are no nonsense post, nor dual posting just to fill forum up.

Hate to seem a ***** about it, but spamming is spamming - and spamming forums is prohibited. Doesn't matter if it's these forums or the in-game ones.

I don't specifically remember it, but I believe there is something to that effect as part of the ToS you must agree to in order to create a Province.
    The only people who never make mistakes are those who never try to accomplish anything.

Some spamming is fine, excessive spamming isnt.

300 pages of threads is excessive.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Quote Originally Posted by TitanReborn View Post
    Because you say so...lets see what some other people think, its a suggestion forum after all

Edit: Its not a specific rule either, I said it should b done on a case by case basis pretty much, but if it is considered breaking the rules then I don't see whats wrong with adding somethign along those lines to the rules page.

As i have recently heard, its not common knowledge that its against the rules and may lead to many more bans
    I agree with Bishop, a decent Monarch will control their kingdom. If there is a specific incident, then report it but to blanket ban something this menial. I don't agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
    Hate to seem a ***** about it, but spamming is spamming - and spamming forums is prohibited. Doesn't matter if it's these forums or the in-game ones.

I don't specifically remember it, but I believe there is something to that effect as part of the ToS you must agree to in order to create a Province.
    There is spam that can be fun for both kingdoms. Then there is excessive spam/flaming. Most kingdoms I know spam to a certain degree in their war forums and as long as it doesn't get out of control why isn't it acceptable?
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

well it was me that said it not bishop, but im pleased to hear im not the only one who feels this way. and we all like to have fun from time to time in the forums, taking that away is like taking another part of the game.

Veteran
    Well if a rule being added to tell people that excessive war forum spamming can be a bannable offence, is out of the question, then people shouldn't just be banned, they should recieve a warning, which if failed to be adhered too, they should then be banned. As its been pointe dout in thes eforums, some spam is ok, some isn't, now due to there being no real rules around it then those decisions are made by a singular entity (or two entities - the poster and a mod if reported), now these people can comne to a different conclusion, and that wouldn't be the fault of the poster with no definitions about what is classed as being inappropriate.

In this case the spam happened because enemy monarch deleted everything in the war forums repeatedly, so a challenge was set, he met that challenge of 100 pages....so it was increased, I hardly see how its an inappropriate amount if their monarch had no problem spending his time deleting each post.

Do you guys know how many kingdoms out there won;t have the monarchs in question that you consider they should have? Its not a perfect gaming world and things will fall apart and things will happen that won't fall under the rules or fair play or whatever. I still see no real problem as to why a rule cannot quickly be written, it'd take very little time. So umm yeah, a rule which would help keep this kind of thing properly regulated seems really sensible to me, and it would have meant that this incident didn;t happen, as the rules were read before the spamming took place to make sure there was nothing in the rules against it.

Elruin I'd like to apologise to you and your kingdom for mentioning you guys, it was a name that came up during a conversation about it and it was someone else opinion.

Thanks for doubting my ability to understand the game btw marve, because wanting a rule written down has so much to do with not understanding the game

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    You don't see how 100 pages of forum posts is an inappropriate amount?

Thread Information