Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: As this game is worldwide and this problem is worldwide

Veteran
    bump +1 the ron burgandy character is just funneh

The companies supporting SOPA, PIPA, etc, are companies that sell products that are a lot more expensive than the cost to produce a single unit. This worked fine for a long time but now internet is threatening their business model. Rather than adapt, they try to stop innovation. This is the real problem.

They are used to deciding what customers can buy but customers no longer accept that and the internet offers them (illegal) alternatives that better match the customers' wishes. Customers aren't interested in DRM, DVD region codes, online activation, having to keep an active internet connection while they play a single player game, having a product released later in their area than elsewhere, etc. But that's what companies are trying to force-feed them.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Veteran

sorry that i keep bumping this up

I am using this as a source for a paper, just to show how much interest this can get (only going to reference it ;) ) within just the few weeks its been up

Post Demon
    As I see it if those papers pass into law the western countries can no longer point fingers at china and cuba and such countries for blocking google and other parts of the internet.

It will be a rich culture we lose if everyone can block content on the internet on copyright grounds.

For me the television and radio of my home country have had very littel to offer me for a long time,
    I can't even go to local stores to find most of what I read, watch or listen to on the net.
    yet despite the inability to come across those items in local stores I've ended up with more than 200 manga volumes
    and an increasing stack of movies and music bought on the net or in special stores,
    none of which I would know existed if not for the oppotunity to check it out on the internet, so I say the internet has done it's work well the way it has worked up until now.
    I can't see why we should destroy it just because someone get something for free and some powerfull companies don't like it.

You can't turn back tecnology, not even if you desire to live in the middel ages.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    As I see it if those papers pass into law the western countries can no longer point fingers at china and cuba and such countries for blocking google and other parts of the internet.

It will be a rich culture we lose if everyone can block content on the internet on copyright grounds.

For me the television and radio of my home country have had very littel to offer me for a long time,
    I can't even go to local stores to find most of what I read, watch or listen to on the net.
    yet despite the inability to come across those items in local stores I've ended up with more than 200 manga volumes
    and an increasing stack of movies and music bought on the net or in special stores,
    none of which I would know existed if not for the oppotunity to check it out on the internet, so I say the internet has done it's work well the way it has worked up until now.
    I can't see why we should destroy it just because someone get something for free and some powerfull companies don't like it.

You can't turn back tecnology, not even if you desire to live in the middel ages.

sopa and pipa are history dude, i just brought this up to see what kind of debate i could get going and use it as a source for my paper :D , thanks all who contributed <3

They may be 'history' but they're still working on new laws to make it mandatory by providers to stop piracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Only way I can imagine I would stop downloading music is if my government decided to create an anti-pirating task force that could hand out tickets over the interweb perhaps through information they could gather from my ISP. I can't imagine this happening at least in the next 20 years, and when I turn 40 I intend to stop watching TV and start sitting on the porch and yelling at kids who get too close to my lawn.
    My life is better then yours.

Post Fiend
    /////
    Last edited by hllwrld; 04-01-2014 at 22:11.

Is that fill in the blank?
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Post Fiend
    ////
    Last edited by hllwrld; 04-01-2014 at 22:11.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    They may be 'history' but they're still working on new laws to make it mandatory by providers to stop piracy.

isn't that true

Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

When thinking about piracy I can't help but wonder who the real victums are when John Doe d/l the latest blockbuster, is it the actors who get paid millions? Studios who can afford to pay for mass publicity to get the interest in the 1st place? Or the budding artist who no1 knows about and trying to make a name for themselves?

It doesn't just apply to films but also music, as previously pointed out by the mix tapes back in the 80's of the radio and/or friends. If this law comes into place then will it actually help the budding artists get public exposure or support the current system of money buys exposure? To generate enough money to 'make it big' then you need a reputation, to gain that reputation then idealy you need money to pay for media exposure (adverts). Kinda like a catch-22.

If we also look into technology development then we also notice a simular trend, it isn't the 'talent' that holds a lot of the copyrights but the corperations that emplyed the hard working 'inventors' and then get rich of thier backs. Copyright has also held technology back by keeping secrets, it can be argued that no idea is a new idea but an evolution of a old idea, by keeping 'secrets' it can slow down the rate at which we can 'develop the next gen'. The real victum here then becomes the general public IMO.

The only real winners from introducing a legal block are the established companies, they're the ones who will be able to afford the packs of bloodhounds to hunt down the now criminals. Just immagen you released a hit song and we all d/l it for free(ilegally), think you could pay the legal costs of taking us all to court upfront? That again leads me to question who this legal act will protect, the up and comming artists seem to be getting a shorter deal.

Another thing I find funny is how companies will use darwinism as a defence for the co-orprate model (survival of the fittest expression) yet they all support a legislation which stops what they claim is so great, if it was survival of the fittest then wouldn't that mean things like Piratebay etc are the new fittest? I dont want to guess at Piratebays income but they have thousands of users and they all view enough adverts... Would the income from adverts be enough to support the system? I honestly think it can, it'll need to evolve but it can be balanced so people can gain free entertainment, well not Piratebay alone but those kind of information sharing friendly sites ^.^ It may mean we lose a lot of the crap thats pumped out for profit but is that such a bad thing?

I do have a deep personal interest in these kinda issues and I honestly blame money for all of this, there's never enough money for us all (more debt in the world than money created) and that scarcity can lead to such dramatic fights to obtain it and once obtained to then keep it. Money has no real attachment to resources required to support the artist while he is creating the next masterpiece (either song, painting or what-ever), the wealth in money is bassed on how much of it there currently is. Mankind has the technology to get past this never ending of debt and modern day slavery but we already have the mindset of everything needing a pricetag, this ACTA/SOPA bs is just a result of a self perpetuating system. Whats really sad is how so many people look towards the goverments to change this but the goverment is run of people who are conditioned by society to fight for this rare commodaty and as such willing to let things through that they might not agree with morally... but money gets the job done. No suprise then that legislations like this can come in where mass population can be criminals while the already rich maintain a level of power over the rest.
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."

Quote Originally Posted by Landro View Post
    The companies supporting SOPA, PIPA, etc, are companies that sell products that are a lot more expensive than the cost to produce a single unit. This worked fine for a long time but now internet is threatening their business model. Rather than adapt, they try to stop innovation. This is the real problem.

They are used to deciding what customers can buy but customers no longer accept that and the internet offers them (illegal) alternatives that better match the customers' wishes. Customers aren't interested in DRM, DVD region codes, online activation, having to keep an active internet connection while they play a single player game, having a product released later in their area than elsewhere, etc. But that's what companies are trying to force-feed them.
    yes I agree it's embeddedness that's the real underlying issue of the problem, but the real excess is the corruption that comes with it and this it is threatening to destroy an entire industry in the western world, namely the internet. Actually no the problem is more than just threatening the existence of an industry, it's threatening two core democratic values, namely that of free enterprise and equitable justice (in this case cruel and unethical punishment).
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by Midoki View Post
    When thinking about piracy I can't help but wonder who the real victums are when John Doe d/l the latest blockbuster, is it the actors who get paid millions? Studios who can afford to pay for mass publicity to get the interest in the 1st place? Or the budding artist who no1 knows about and trying to make a name for themselves?

It doesn't just apply to films but also music, as previously pointed out by the mix tapes back in the 80's of the radio and/or friends. If this law comes into place then will it actually help the budding artists get public exposure or support the current system of money buys exposure? To generate enough money to 'make it big' then you need a reputation, to gain that reputation then idealy you need money to pay for media exposure (adverts). Kinda like a catch-22.

If we also look into technology development then we also notice a simular trend, it isn't the 'talent' that holds a lot of the copyrights but the corperations that emplyed the hard working 'inventors' and then get rich of thier backs. Copyright has also held technology back by keeping secrets, it can be argued that no idea is a new idea but an evolution of a old idea, by keeping 'secrets' it can slow down the rate at which we can 'develop the next gen'. The real victum here then becomes the general public IMO.

The only real winners from introducing a legal block are the established companies, they're the ones who will be able to afford the packs of bloodhounds to hunt down the now criminals. Just immagen you released a hit song and we all d/l it for free(ilegally), think you could pay the legal costs of taking us all to court upfront? That again leads me to question who this legal act will protect, the up and comming artists seem to be getting a shorter deal.

Another thing I find funny is how companies will use darwinism as a defence for the co-orprate model (survival of the fittest expression) yet they all support a legislation which stops what they claim is so great, if it was survival of the fittest then wouldn't that mean things like Piratebay etc are the new fittest? I dont want to guess at Piratebays income but they have thousands of users and they all view enough adverts... Would the income from adverts be enough to support the system? I honestly think it can, it'll need to evolve but it can be balanced so people can gain free entertainment, well not Piratebay alone but those kind of information sharing friendly sites ^.^ It may mean we lose a lot of the crap thats pumped out for profit but is that such a bad thing?

I do have a deep personal interest in these kinda issues and I honestly blame money for all of this, there's never enough money for us all (more debt in the world than money created) and that scarcity can lead to such dramatic fights to obtain it and once obtained to then keep it. Money has no real attachment to resources required to support the artist while he is creating the next masterpiece (either song, painting or what-ever), the wealth in money is bassed on how much of it there currently is. Mankind has the technology to get past this never ending of debt and modern day slavery but we already have the mindset of everything needing a pricetag, this ACTA/SOPA bs is just a result of a self perpetuating system. Whats really sad is how so many people look towards the goverments to change this but the goverment is run of people who are conditioned by society to fight for this rare commodaty and as such willing to let things through that they might not agree with morally... but money gets the job done. No suprise then that legislations like this can come in where mass population can be criminals while the already rich maintain a level of power over the rest.
    look this isn't an issue about piracy and copyright, because pipa/sopa doesn't help protect copyright, it's about the fact that this bill when it becomes law, will be a bad law that: serves noone, protects noone, destroys an industry, destroys our economy, undermines core democratic values and destroys the fabric of our democratic society.

No person in their right mind should vote in favor of that bill, no person in their right mind should support that bill period. The persons who do, are: either corrupt politicians, incompetent politicians, corrupt law enforcers, greedy and vindictive producers, or entirely ignorant folk who wouldn't know what democracy is about even if they got slapped in the face with the constitution.
    Last edited by freemehul; 15-04-2012 at 20:00.
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Thread Information