Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TD's or WT?

TD's or WT?

So I have a question!

I have a 3.7 mod tpa (human/warrior), and we're going to be going into a war soon. I plan on using my thieves to NS heavy attackers, and steal resources.

Since I plan on attackers running WT, I would like to use 10% TD's to lower my losses from failed ops. Those 10% TD's would bring me up to a 4.5 mod tpa.

4.5 mod tpa is not good enough to stop a T/M from killing my troops! I would like to stop my troops from being killed as much as possible, which is why I feel it might be a good idea to screw the TD's and go 10% WT instead, giving me a 15% chance of catching enemy thieves, and -22.5% losses to enemy ops! But, since I have no TDs, my losses from failed thief ops would be quite large...

Now, 15% catch rate doesn't seem to be much IMO, so it makes me think if the added mod tpa from the TD would work better to deter enemy thieves?

I'm also thinking I'll be one of the first players to be chained since I have over 100 opa, which will probably be one of the highest in the kingdom since we're a ghetto. Since I'll be chained, my tpa will sky-rocket and I wont be opted much anyway so WT's will be useless!

If I'm not chained though, I'll grow like crazy and my tpa will drop like a rock making my TD's useless, and all my troops will be dead and economy gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by vines View Post
    100 is the same 1. And 1/92 just means .92.

TDs bro. Dish out the damage, and be happy they're opping you instead of better targets in your kingdom.

The t/ms will likely leave you alone though and aim to op more exploitable players, especially more likely since you're playing in a ghetto.

Expect to get fireballed tho.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Forum Addict
    If you're positive you're getting chained, and you are already breakable by lots of the kd's core(inwhich case they'll prolly ns someone else) then I wouldn't run either, and just go higher tg, GS, rax. You'll lose much more from overpop associated with a good chain than from the 15% of ns's that are prevented. But in general, if you already have the crime science and high tpa, td is better than wt.

Well... We're currently in the top 60's for land/nw. So our neighbors are (presumably) better than we are! We got in a war with a mega-noob kingdom who didn't know how to withdraw, and only 8 of their players were active. We grew a lot off of them, and now we're trapped at a size we're not supposed to be at.

We've reached he point of extreme boredom pumping and sitting around, so we're going to try to find a war that wont completely crush us! I still think I'll be chained first though, which makes TD's the better option!

Forum Addict
    Seeing as you are likely near my rank, I retract my advice :)

Post Demon
    If you're going to be the chain victim, better to build GS, maybe more training grounds or forts. Just not TD. You'll have to release thieves anyway if that is the case, so losses are not a huge concern, and 10% TD aren't going to make much difference in your success rate. Watchtowers might be useful if you expect to be a prime thief target, really hard to say without knowing your position in the kingdom.

To minimize losses in case you're not chained, send fewer thieves. NS has a pretty low cap, so it should be easy to figure out and find someone who isn't keeping their tpa up. But a higher priority is being a good attacker, by far... being able to run NS and theft on top of that is just a bonus that you can use.

maybe I'll run 10% schools to protect my science and screw TD's and WT's... I already got 10% GS and Forts, and 16% TG's. I could boost those up a bit I guess, give myself more offense and lower losses.

Post Demon
    No barracks? Human should have barracks in order to have anything resembling a good attack time...

a/t should run tds, or dont bother doing nss, ull just kill ur tpa. U may find someone with horrendous thief defense tho since ur warring ghettos.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

TD's over WT's everytime if your raw TPA is at that level...10% should be enough
    The 4 Horsemen

*A cult worships their leader who is alive and well. A religion worships the same guy except he is dead.

yes, I have 10% rax to give myself just under 12 hour attack times.

and I didn't think my tpa was all that great. 4.5 mod tpa is pretty lousy for an A/T in my opinion!

But the consensus seems to be TD's over WT's! Thanks guys!

Regular
    Wait is 4.5 mod tpa before or after the TD bonus is factored in?

EDIT*

I see 4.5 is after and yeah you're right that's not a very beefy figure and won't stop NS runs very easily. However, in the event of a chain that added bonus to your tpa will be invaluable for kidnaps where as watch towers will be useless.
    Last edited by MojoCrojo; 10-03-2012 at 20:38.

Post Demon
    blah. In that spot I'd consider stables if I had enough time to fill them, if TG, barracks, gs, forts, and hospitals were all covered. Stables are pretty weak but their effect stacks well with strong TG, and the offense is retained even if the stables are lost if you keep your armies out, which a chain victim would definitely experience. I don't like TD on a non-rogue attacker unless I know I'm not likely to be hit, because even with them my success rate is going to be suspect. Go with the things that don't rely on luck first, and build TD if I still have a strong tpa later in the war. If you get hit your tpa is likely good enough to steal without the TD, unless you're forced to release thieves, and losses are irrelevant.
    If you don't have hospitals, get hospitals, whether now or with your incoming acres. Hospitals are awesome to have in chains, and there is nothing like dropping the defense of a non-hospital-using target, warrior or not.

yeah, I got TG, Rax, Forts, GS, Hospitals, Stables, and Dungeons all covered. They could all have a little more of a boost though if necessary!

Veteran
    Remember to not try to use the same strat throughout a war. I see so many people on this forum providing a "war-strat". This should be termed "hostile strat" cause everything you can provide is guidelines for how to build up prov for a generic hostile. Once you enter war, you will have to evaluate specifically depending on your enemy kd, and how they treat your prov. E.g. if they let you grow and FB you, it's likely they will let you take more land (as FB'd provs can't really be chained) - then you want to switch over to wt's since as your tpa drops the td's becomes less useful. If they deepchain you, neither wt's or td's are applicable, go 30% GS and 30% rax. Etc etc.

Thread Information