Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Halfling pure attacker?

Post Demon
    hybrids are dead.

the only setup that has potential to hybrid is human/sage, but not until late age.....

imo

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDodge View Post
    hybrids are dead.

the only setup that has potential to hybrid is human/sage, but not until late age.....

imo

oh yeah? why dont you find a kingdom running 10 elves 2 halfing 3 faery and 15 orcs (and tell me if hybrids are dead)

probably will never find a kingdom this organized huh?

a truly organized and deadly warring kingdom runs something of this is if they are a full kingdom and very active and fought tooth and nail through the years (elf/tact with no penalties running with those orcs would be a wicked combo for light maging and heavy attacking of A/m not to mention the assist they could provide the faery that are heavy T/M with light ops such as vermin/droughts etc)

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemia View Post
    oh yeah? why dont you find a kingdom running 10 elves 2 halfing 3 faery and 15 orcs (and tell me if hybrids are dead)

probably will never find a kingdom this organized huh?
    Gotta be pretty organized to squeeze in 30 people.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Azureflames View Post
    Gotta be pretty organized to squeeze in 30 people.
    oops, drop 5 elves ;)

Post Demon
    Why does no one listen...?
    There's another thread for general hybrid discussion. Do we really need to rehash the same arguments?

Enthusiast
    halfing with 5 points elites is garbage as anything. turtle only if your kingdom know how to use it, otherwise don't waste time with it

Post Demon
    Kemia......

refer to my post that you quoted once again. it is fully accurate and your response lacked appropriate consideration. elves are **** hybrids, they are very good this age in warring kingdoms.... but they are not hybrids.

and like nooblet said, refer to the "Hybrid" thread if you want to really hash that **** out. i felt my post was on-topic because people were mentioning halflings as A/T, which is clearly dead.

perhaps instead of saying "imo"...... i should have ended the post with..... "fact".

Post Demon
    Halfer A/T makes only a little more sense as Avian A/T. Both have no tpa mod, so all you can do to get though is have heck tons of thieves. Avian has CS and lower pop, halfer has +stealth (= +damage) and cheaper thieves, but neither has the +effectiveness that is really needed to do A/T well.

*IF* you are running A/T, you have no good choices. Faery could go a/T, but 'tis really hard and never will attack as hard. Human/sage can go A/t, halfer/sage the same. Human/rogue has the +40% prop damage, halfer gets the +ops.

Frankly, "true" A/T (as in NS the NS target with all stealth, and attack) is almost forced to be halfer - you *must* sack an unfortunately high amount of offense, so you might as well do more damage with the +stealth. But I'd still recommend the A/t approach - attackers without enough opa are called bad players for a reason.

And to everyone who looks at 5/6 army and immediately says "garbage" or any similar... you do remember it is NW biased gains, right? 5/6 @ 4/5 (first draft) was OP, 5/6 @ 4/6.25 (current) is balanced. It ain't an orc, but 'tis over the 90% threshold where you make a perfectly reasonable attacker. Straight A + intel for kingdom is a perfectly good role for a halfer - sure, you don't want 25 of the things... but 5 faery 20 orc is weaker than 5 faery 5 halfer 15 orc, cause the halfers buff the orcs.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Demon
    There isn't much nw difference in the offenses of halfers and everyone else, but there is a limit on how much land a province can have. That's the basic principle of the game, and when you lose sight of that failure shortly follows.

Halfer pure attacker has a niche - accurate intel - and little else going for it. It works, but only barely. As a solo province halfling will always get trounced, and more than most other races they're reliant on their kingdom to make their benefits work... so tweaking province numbers as a halfling is a waste of time and brainpower, really. What you can do is limit the bad ways to implement halfling, and keeping static defense is about the worst mistake a halfling can make unless they're t/m, point blank.

Post Demon
    What, precisely, is wrong with static defense? In war and/or out... I can kinda argue oow, since the whole server could target you. Most people keep attacking oow though, at least most attackers seem to. (I just pump sci always when not in a fight - I know how that helps in war, never quite clear why trading acres was better.)

In war I really can't see any reason static defense is a problem though. Look at UD - they *intentionally* oversend just to keep 0 offense home. When would you advise an UD to leave elites home for defense? Cause that's when the "static" defense of the halfer is gonna burn them. Haven't had problems there yet.

Also note, I've always assumed I'm using 2-3 epa for offense. Which, since 'tis 12-20 dpa, is about what most others get from turtling too.

And that "space efficiency" thing... important for 2 reasons. 1: high NW/A acts like GS. 2: land is "dead" NW, so inefficient at space => somewhat inefficient at NW. Except halfer has the +10% pop and the NW efficient elite and good def space efficiency... so their OPNW isn't really much lower than the main line attackers like orc. And QF, AD make 2 nice intangibles that aren't captured in my basic "power ranking" that showed halfer was an acceptable attacker.

If all you ever cared about that OPNW, sure, orc smashes halfer. But there is more too it than that, and halfer gets the advantage in most of those catagories. If it is worth the small OPNW hit - your decision, but it isn't an obvious one.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Demon
    *rolls on the floor laughing.*

Post Demon
    So - believe it or not, I *am* listening. I don't expect we'll agree at all, but if you've got some problem with halfer I've overlooked, I'm interested in hearing about it, and finding out if I agree it might be a problem. Right now I'm not seeing any particular difference between your responses, and those of someone who had no real leg to stand on, but can't admit it (presumable even to themselves). While everyone occasionally gets trapped in that type of blind spot... I think odds are you aren't, but we're missing a vital connection somewhere so I'm not quite getting what the "problem" you see is.

(Or maybe 4am local is a bad time to be reading anything... I'll look at it closer where there's only 1 copy on screen by default.)

Think Different

Post Demon
    You lost me when you tried to compare undead turtling to halfling turtling.

Enthusiast
    halfing is garbage but, if some people like garbage, is a matter of taste, no need to argue about a dead race. is a pure turtle, not attacker not thief not mag ... garbage

It's not garbage if you know how to play defense. The problem is all you ghetto kids just train as much offense as possible and throw it at each other, hoping for a slight gain and a war win. I can see why such a race would so easily confuse you.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Thread Information