Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Libraries

Post Demon
    I find early age 1:1:1 between Income:BE:Pop is good. For mid age, I find 1:1:2 better. For late age (high sci totals, 1500 bpa or so) I find 1:1:3 to be a good guideline. If you also want distro on the lesser sciences... search for the thread, I had a breakdown out of 40 out there somewhere.

These values *are* backed by a simple simulation, as well as my experience. Said simulation *did* account for NW. (In fact it "over" accounted for it, since it only looked at OPNW and not OPA.) It was a number of ages ago now, it was human specific, and it of course was approximate only - but as a general "rule of thumb" it tends to serve well.

The main problem with high BE sci and drafting higher is that income gets borked, and now you are open to either a deep chain or a PK. If you really draft to high DR, a good kingdom will actually pull off a real PK, as to just the "econ kill pk" using FB. Having so few pes makes you really easy to put into super-overpop.

Pop sci, however, does just the reverse. As well as upping military, it increases the pes/acre a little, so your BE goes up, your income goes up, and you get *harder* to deep chain because a lot of pes will leave, leaving room for offense. The chain just makes the pop sci bigger... so even when smacked down to a really small size you can still hold a lot of military.

Of course... due to the diminishing gains in sci, there is a balance point. And there is a fairly large area around the balance point where it matters very little. I think more BE than pop is outside that "good enough" range... but it is still much better than not having the sci at all!
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

i love how this thread has morphed several times. what was it originally about? haha
    What does 1337 mean?

Post Demon
    ** Effects Summary (Known Science Only) **
    23.3% Income (153,778 books)
    18.8% Building Effectiveness (194,587 books)
    12.7% Population Limits (211,554 books)
    72.3% Food Production (45,108 books)
    30.4% Gains in Combat (259,999 books)
    111.5% Thievery Effectiveness (190,929 books)
    108.2% Magic Effectiveness & Rune Production (179,841 books)

my current science..... im hitting like a truck atm :)

Post Demon
    You don't take Sage's total science effects and say, "that's how much better Sage is than everyone else!" Non-Sages wind up having something like 60-70% of the science effects of Sage if my rough math is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
    You don't take Sage's total science effects and say, "that's how much better Sage is than everyone else!" Non-Sages wind up having something like 60-70% of the science effects of Sage if my rough math is correct.
    yeah i agree, raw numbers its that nooblet. however, sages have a different type of mindset, one that says books are much needed. if you arent sage, often times its because you dont value books as much and thus dont put as much emphasis on it. sage is not on a personality, its a game style.
    What does 1337 mean?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by marve View Post
    yeah i agree, raw numbers its that nooblet. however, sages have a different type of mindset, one that says books are much needed. if you arent sage, often times its because you dont value books as much and thus dont put as much emphasis on it. sage is not on a personality, its a game style.

I disagree its a personality, nothing more; nothing less.

which is why you are mystic and not a tier 1 t/m...
    What does 1337 mean?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by marve View Post
    which is why you are mystic and not a tier 1 t/m...

I am pure mage baby, not a second rate scientist ;)

Post Fiend
    ** Effects Summary (Known Science Only) **
    13.5% Income (102,448 books)
    9.5% Building Effectiveness (100,393 books)
    4.6% Population Limits (56,233 books)
    30% Food Production (15,564 books)
    0% Gains in Combat
    47.9% Thievery Effectiveness (70,500 books)
    57.1% Magic Effectiveness & Rune Production (100,240 books)

My Sci as a Faery/Mystic. Not as good as a Sages' obviously.
    Then again, my KD don't spend so much time out of war, so it's a limit to how much I could have utilized the reduced sci cost of Sage. - Thus I ended up picking Mystic instead, since for me it would be the stronger option for the longest time during the age.

EDIT: Only disappointment so far, is that Mystics "All Guilds and Towers are twice as effective", does not seem to work in relation to Guild % affecting spell duration. When I asked around for this before age start, people seemed to agree this to be true. If it was the case, it would have made it a bit easier to play around with buildings :(
    Last edited by Quacky-T; 17-03-2012 at 11:25.

why bother embarassing yourself posting that kind sci?

Post Fiend
    We can't all be science whores with amazing sciences ;)

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky-T View Post
    We can't all be science whores with amazing sciences ;)
    technically you can be...
    What does 1337 mean?

Post Fiend
    Theoretically at least.

If I ran a Sage, I would have my current sci + roughly 200k from hourly sage bonus + say another 50-100k points (Reduced sci cost will give the ability to buy a bit more sci between wars than i have done) = total 750-800k books compared to your ~1100k books (And which is almost an equivalent to Palems ~810k books).

So it depends a bit on what your KD is doing as well. It's a limit to how much sci you can get during wars.

yeah but also depends on how good you are at pumping outside of wars. we just got out of our third war a couple hours ago and we will be in another one within 4 or 5 days. its not like im sitting at home doing nothing but pumping... sci is one of the main things that separate the men from the boys.
    What does 1337 mean?

Thread Information