Thread: Need advices

Need advices

I was being MS, FB, NS and kidnap for days since the beginning of war. Now my defense was lessen and lessen and can't retrain dsp cos of beyond draft target and no soldiers were drafted.

How should I cope this situation? I'm still quite new to the game and only participated about 3 wars.

TIA

Strategy Moderator
    Right now cry and wait to be chained. Hope that either your kd or theirs withdraws before you get hit, nothing u can do in the short term.

In the future you can take all land u gain from hits and build ONLY watchtowers and guard stations.
    With good foresight that you are being shelled out you can:
    1. counter MS by asking a kd member to MV you (not always going to happen)
    2. ask for sold aid and train specs using credits
    3. use all incoming land to build WT and GS.

reasons for
    1. most attackers will end up with MS in war, sometimes its worthwhile to MV it off, sometimes not.
    2. if you can see your being shelled chances are any dspecs your going to train are going to be ns'ed away, you want to keep your hitting power in war so offspecs are equally important to keep up. its situational but to only train dspecs is usually a loosing strategy espcially if they are nsing you for DAYS on end.
    3. WT make nsing harder, GS make the hits when they finally come hurt alot less. I've been ns'ed before saw a chain comming and was able to get up to 35% GS solely using land & building credits i gained from my attacks.

Post Demon
    The best advice is to start running decent wpa and tpa. Even as an attacker, you should try to protect yourself, especially in a ghetto where there usually isn't anyone to watch your back for you. WT's help too, like Persain said.

Persain and Luc both have it right. Not much you can do now, but in the future run a higher TPA and WPA, and build WTs (and GS) when in war to make those NS (and subsequent hits) hurt less.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordray View Post
    Persain and Luc both have it right. Not much you can do now, but in the future run a higher TPA and WPA, and build WTs (and GS) when in war to make those NS (and subsequent hits) hurt less.
    He never said his tpa/wpa all he said was he was shelled out, that can happen to anyone who isn't a feary. Simply telling him to run a higher value tpa/wpa isnt really going to help unless he was running values WAY to low and even straight attackers are oping him.

Best way to not get shelled is to not present as a good target to be shelled out.
    Best way to stop getting shelled once started is to counter build.

If a good kd chooses you to shell out there is little that can be done to stop it from and individual players standpoint, best u can do is mitigate damage. This is espcially true in a ghetto where kd-wide coordination is lacking. A good kd always has the option of taking the 1500 acre feary down to 500 acres as a way to stop your kds prov from getting shelled out. Did it in the war im in right now, funny to see that 1500 acre feary down at 550 acres with 400 peasants.

It depends actually. If he's fighting hybrids or ghetto faeries, improving his tpa/wpa can do wonders at a small cost to his military. The fact that he didn't say anything about it makes me think that going into the war he had 1tpa and whatever wpa his guilds have trained by now (0.6 or something).

Post Demon
    A focused t/m assault is nearly impossible to prevent. The most you can do is prevent the damage by running good wpa/tpa and watchtowers, and handle what damage you get in the most effective way you can.

If you can arrange an ally to MV you this is helpful, but it shouldn't be done every time you have MS+Greed on you. It's too easy for a t/m to renew those duration spells. Intra-MV should only be done if you're a primary target for ops and absolutely need to get rid of MS+Chastity to restore your economy, preferably backed up by aid or your own theft.

You probably will want to train both offense and defense while you're being worked on... how much depends on how likely you are to be the next target for hits. Defense will likely keep being nightstriked, but the last thing you want is to become too easy a landgrab target. How much or either is highly situational... if you can keep hitting the same targets without training offense, adding more is not going to change your situation in the short-term, and if you're not likely to be hit for whatever reason than defense is meaningless. Pay attention to who can hit you in pimp and the answer to that should be clearer.

As a general rule, you'll almost always want to be drafting something, even if it's only reservist draft on a small peasantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    He never said his tpa/wpa all he said was he was shelled out, that can happen to anyone who isn't a feary.
    Since he said that he's new and has only been in a couple of wars, I made the assumption that he is indeed neglecting his thief and magic defenses. I'd wager that it's much lower than either of us would recommend. The name of the game isn't stopping from being shelled out, because the enemy will do it anyway if you're worth the time, it's slowing them down and forcing them to use more time and resources to bring you down that matters. I'd rather it take them 200 ops to get me to the point where they want me than it take them 100 because it's requiring them 2x the resources to do so (just making up numbers there.)

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordray View Post
    Since he said that he's new and has only been in a couple of wars, I made the assumption that he is indeed neglecting his thief and magic defenses. I'd wager that it's much lower than either of us would recommend. The name of the game isn't stopping from being shelled out, because the enemy will do it anyway if you're worth the time, it's slowing them down and forcing them to use more time and resources to bring you down that matters. I'd rather it take them 200 ops to get me to the point where they want me than it take them 100 because it's requiring them 2x the resources to do so (just making up numbers there.)
    very true, i guess i assumed he was like most kds i played in (even the ghettos) that post in the forums recommended tpa/wpa numbers like 2.5 and 1 respectivly. personally i've seen more ghettos with insane tpa/wpa because they dont realize the off/def required to be a hitter. Ghetto mentality is often max high as u can in one role or try for all roles....Ran into plenty of 7-8 raw wpa and 10 raw tpa in the ghetto because they think hey im a X.

lol I've seen plenty of those as well :P

Post Demon
    He never said his tpa/wpa all he said was he was shelled out, that can happen to anyone who isn't a feary. Simply telling him to run a higher value tpa/wpa isnt really going to help unless he was running values WAY to low and even straight attackers are oping him.
    He didn't say he wasn't running wt's or gs either. For all we know he could be running 50% wt's and 50% gs, and then your advice makes no sense either. If he already knows how to run decent tpa/wpa, he likely knows to use wt's as well.

He's rather new to the game and is very likely playing in a ghetto, so I don't think my assumptions are any less valid than yours.

Best way to not get shelled is to not present as a good target to be shelled out.
    Best way to stop getting shelled once started is to counter build.
    And that's useful advice how? How do you turn yourself into a bad target? You make it harder for them to op you, right? So basically you're giving the same advice as I did, which you disapproved of earlier. Or are you referring to wt's and gs as some kind of silver bullet, even against mages?

If a good kd chooses you to shell out there is little that can be done to stop it from and individual players standpoint, best u can do is mitigate damage. This is espcially true in a ghetto where kd-wide coordination is lacking. A good kd always has the option of taking the 1500 acre feary down to 500 acres as a way to stop your kds prov from getting shelled out. Did it in the war im in right now, funny to see that 1500 acre feary down at 550 acres with 400 peasants.
    It's not very likely that he's facing good kd's. Ghettoes spend most of their time warring other ghettoes, and you usually get shelled because you're not protecting yourself at all. A lot of t/m's and hybrids in ghettoes are poorly played (under drafted and over defended), so all you need to discourage them is some tpa and wpa. With that tpa and wpa you can usually play a/t/m vs **** provs in the opposing kd's too, something that running wt's won't help you with at all.

very true, i guess i assumed he was like most kds i played in (even the ghettos) that post in the forums recommended tpa/wpa numbers like 2.5 and 1 respectivly. personally i've seen more ghettos with insane tpa/wpa because they dont realize the off/def required to be a hitter. Ghetto mentality is often max high as u can in one role or try for all roles....Ran into plenty of 7-8 raw wpa and 10 raw tpa in the ghetto because they think hey im a X.
    Seriously? I've been ghettoing around the last couple of ages, and I've seen very few provs with insane tpa/wpa. Most of the poor players spend all their time training defense. They sit with 70+ dpa with all troops out, and that's what prevents them from being attackers, not that they're training thieves and wizards. The t/m's also overtrain defense. The people who actually know how to play will generally leave you alone if you look like you know how to play too. I saw a monarch that released the 10 wizards he got at the start of the age because he didn't use self spells anyway...
    Last edited by Luc; 28-03-2012 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    I saw a monarch that released the 10 wizards he got at the start of the age because he didn't use self spells anyway...
    haha, that's a double fail because self spells don't depend on wpa :D

@Cryed: Cast Love and Peace and try to kidnap some. Asking your kingdom mates for soldiers might also help you out a bit.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

IMO the best thing to do is as Landro says, cast L&P and kidnapp from who-ever you can, as a attacker I always try to keep tabs on opposition kd players who run low thief defence because kidnapp can keep me close to 100% pop (even after decent growth). If you do kidnapp then IMO do it just before any land comes in, incomming land will only dilute your TPA futher.

Soldier aid can be used to released back to pezzies or trained as troops, depending on your situation.

Stay possative as well :) when-ever you're getting a load of opps/hits then just remember, if they're giving you sooo much attention then you must of done something right to make them focus on you so much :P
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."

Strategy Moderator
    He didn't say he wasn't running wt's or gs either. For all we know he could be running 50% wt's and 50% gs, and then your advice makes no sense either. If he already knows how to run decent tpa/wpa, he likely knows to use wt's as well.

He's rather new to the game and is very likely playing in a ghetto, so I don't think my assumptions are any less valid than yours.
    Agreed, which is y its good more than one person post in each thread :D

And that's useful advice how? How do you turn yourself into a bad target? You make it harder for them to op you, right? So basically you're giving the same advice as I did, which you disapproved of earlier. Or are you referring to wt's and gs as some kind of silver bullet, even against mages?
    Well that "Bad target" was vague, its useful in if u dont want to be shelled all u have to do is run better numbers than a couple of other people in your kd and they'll be shelld out ;). I've Been the token avian that ran 1 wpa and 1 tpa hoping to draw attention to me, becasue i was capable of running on sub 1k peasants and getting 30% GS and WT & CS up quickly. As a whole though thats a bad concept unless a kd strategy is set up to use it...thus my saying its a bad concept because all u do is shift ops from one person to another and if your specfically coming here asking how to survive that & learning maybe u WANT to be the person that is shelled.

It's not very likely that he's facing good kd's ... Seriously? I've been ghettoing around the last couple of ages, and I've seen very few provs with insane tpa/wpa. Most of the poor players spend all their time training defense. They sit with 70+ dpa with all troops out, and that's what prevents them from being attackers, not that they're training thieves and wizards. The t/m's also overtrain defense. The people who actually know how to play will generally leave you alone if you look like you know how to play too. I saw a monarch that released the 10 wizards he got at the start of the age because he didn't use self spells anyway...
    Fair enough last time i was routinely fighting pure ghettos was a while ago, lots of stupid stuff happens in ghettos though best advice is definitely adapt to the war your in :D

Thread Information