Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a nuclear attack in your lifetime?

a nuclear attack in your lifetime?

Anyone think they will see a nuclear attack during their lifetime? Seems unavoidable with all the crazies but who knows
    My life is better then yours.

This may be my least funded post to date:

I don't think so.
    #adrenaline

There will never be another nuke dropped unless we are throwing them at alien invaders. The consequences are too great.
    S E C R E T S

Post Demon
    Too many countries with nukes.

Any country who launches nukes at this point will give several other countries justification to launch nukes at them.

So no, unless they figure out an ultra stealth "can't figure who launched the darn thing" system for nukes, it won't happen.

But then, they'd also need to completely leak-proof the entire administration responsible for launching the nukes and I don't think even Harper, our propaganda control-freak, could pull something like that off.

At this point, I'd worry more about peak oil and climate change than the nukes.
    Last edited by Magn; 28-03-2012 at 17:34.

Forum Addict
    Biggest danger is instability in russia while it still maintains too many nukes to keep an easy eye on(which luckily is decreasing rapidly due to recent treaties made with the US). The bureaucracies overseeing their maintenance are not like bureaucracies in most other developed countries, and it would be very easy for a few to be sold to non-state actors.

its not nukes you have to worry about much. terrorists are not likely to get ahold of something deployable. its not likely a country will use them do to retaliation. even if some nut job got ahold of one deployment isnt eazy. they emit radiation and can be tracked by satellites therefore would also need a weapon sytem to use it.the science behind building a nuclear weapon from scratch is way out of reach for most countries. heavy water reactors are a pain to build even for a industrial country.

wouldnt worry about nuclear weapons much unless north korea wants to use one

the big threat is chemical/biological weapons. there is no way to track them til they have been used.terrorist could eazly get ahold of some and it wouldn't take any kind of hightech weapon system to deploy it. a home made artillery shell would be enough. 2lbs of anthrax detonated over N.Y.C would kill over 200,000 people.once the choas ensues i dont think most will make it to get vaccinated.

oh yah not to mention there are enough weapons in pinebluff AR it will take the millitary 25 years to destroy them all.i think this maybe real low russia had over 150,000 lbs of anthrax as it is

I picked yes. But im at a 60/40. It just takes 1 fanatic in the right place!
    My life is better then yours.

Quote Originally Posted by DHaran View Post
    There will never be another nuke dropped unless we are throwing them at alien invaders. The consequences are too great.

Really you think Pakistan Indian Iran isreal give a **** about that ?

I don't think there will ever be a nuke dropped by a elected government in my life time ...... Some nutta might do a dirty bomb but I doubt it
    IMPERIALS KLA

dont think the terrorists are good enough with explosives to make a dirty bomb.they tried that one in iraq allready it did work. not a peep out of the media about it though

The biggest danger of fanatics getting a nuclear weapon is likely in Pakistan due to its unstable government or Iran developing their own. Don't forget that the leadership in Iran has sworn to wipe Israel off the face of the earth and that they (the president at least) is part of a sect of Islam that believes that they can hasten the return of the Mahdi by causing massive conflict and bloodshed.

That being said, it is far more likely that we're going to see a biological attack on the United States via bio-weapons smuggled through the Mexican border.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurlin View Post
    I don't think there will ever be a nuke dropped by a elected government in my life time ......
    You realize the Nazi regime was an elected gov't body right? Not only were they elected but they were incredibly popular.

That said I would be very surprised if there was a nuclear attack just because of the consequences that would inevitably follow. It would make the Dark Ages look like a high point of humanities history.

Beauty of it is, is that anything is possible. We can sit and speculate but we'll never know unless it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

i still have the meds the millitary gave me plus a chemical suit and gas mask also. lol i guess if there is a nuke ill have to run. if a bomb falls and you are not in the blast wave then you should live. you have to go in doors before the radiation wave comes. a large building made of some sort of stone will work. look for something in the middle of the building. underground would be best. you need to be in doors within 6 to 10 minutes {depending on distance away} of the blast and stay in for atleast 6hrs. at that point the leaqthal radiation will be gone. bad news is you have to get out of the area with no suplies. all the water can food anything will be radioactive. if you eat it you will die
    Last edited by Agronaut; 04-04-2012 at 05:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    You realize the Nazi regime was an elected gov't body right? Not only were they elected but they were incredibly popular.

Um yes I do know they where an elected government but they didn't drop the bomb that was the Americans

And I wasn't born then
    IMPERIALS KLA

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurlin View Post
    Um yes I do know they where an elected government but they didn't drop the bomb that was the Americans
    That wasn't my point. My point is that it's not impossible for unstable leaders with goals of MASSIVE death to get into power.

Thread Information