Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: a nuclear attack in your lifetime?

awe, and all because of one lousy word "natural" ;)
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Veteran
    man i was enjoying reading that. +1 for bishop

Nice arguments freemehul but you are drawing conclusions from our own experiences, whereas we're looking at an infinite universe where anything could possibly happen, so assuming we know or can comment on any of it, its pointless, if your goign to speculate, accept we really know nothing and speculate everything instead. The more people dreaming of whats out there that there is, the more likely we'll get moving and start finding out.

Actually speculating about everything isn't really helpful when you look for life in an infinite universe. Remember we got limited resources, so you should start with what you know, only when that fails (i.o.w. if we find nothing), should you speculate on everything else.

Bottomline is if you're going to look for a needle in the proverbial haystack, you might aswell bring the hypothetical magnet with you.

We are discovering more planets all the time. It's only a matter of time before we find one similar to ours in this infinite universe.

Check out this Science chat with a SETI scientist: http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...search-fo.html
    A few highlights:
    Estimated planets in the visible universe: 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Q: How do the recent discoveries of potentially habitable exoplanets around red dwarf stars impact SETI observation planning?

Seth Shostak:
    Red dwarfs are plentiful and long-lived. That means that there are plenty nearby, and they've had time enough to develop sophisticated inhabitants.

Seth Shostak:
    In addition ... it now seems that red dwarfs may have LOTS of habitable planets!

Q: Will it be correct to assume that life at the same technological level as us, 'Humans' are improbable. We will either find way too advanced or basic life outside of our world?

Seth Shostak:
    Yes, life at our level is very improbable. Either they're less advanced (and we won't hear them), or they're 'way beyond us.

Q: How exactly would we "do more looking"? Do we have equipment capable of doing so?

Seth Shostak:
    The equipment's not so hard to build -- or in some cases, to buy. The real bottleneck is ... money. Yep, that's the truth.

Post Demon
    How did this become a discussion on the likelihood of exterterrestrial life? I was under the impression that if such life exists as it pertains to the original post, it found a way... somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by lastunicorn View Post
    We are discovering more planets all the time. It's only a matter of time before we find one similar to ours in this infinite universe.
    but how much time, that's the question ;)

IF LIFE OTHER THEN US EXISTS NUKE IT. I guess the thread in my mind was about nuclear attacks on earth. But I am ok with nuking strange planets just incase they have extra terrestrials. IMO nuke every inhabitable planet we find.
    My life is better then yours.

don't believe there is life on other worlds.

even if there is the more probable likelihood is the ending of oil catalysing the endtimes scenario and appearance of jal and dajjal.
    thats really the crux of existence here on earth, for that to be played out over space exploration.

i still think man didn't make it to the moon and am adamant in that belief.

maybe next restart we might meet lifeforms from other worlds that God has kept away from us. different story line me thinks.
    It's a beautiful glass, nevermind half full or empty

I'm going to get off topic and get back to the original topic. Peak oil and human induced climate change I think will prove to be bigger (and earlier... like right now) problems than nukes.

Quote Originally Posted by copious View Post
    i still think man didn't make it to the moon and am adamant in that belief.
    Do you believe space ships have left earth's atmosphere and floated around in space? Do you believe they landed again? How much more difficult would it have been to continue towards the moon and land there? What part of landing on the moon is unbelievable?

read this for why it is totally believable: http://xkcd.com/1074/
    and here's the results from the mythbusters episode: http://mythbustersresults.com/nasa-moon-landing

The reason its totally believable is that the Russians didn't contest it :p
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Plus using high powered telescopes you can see footprints and a few american flags etc. sitting left behind on the moon.
    My life is better then yours.

Forum Fanatic
    If it happened why have they not been back there since?

There is life outside of this world

I believe there will be a nuclear war within the next 100 years. I think it'll be Iran that causes it.

>espousing retarded conspiracy theory beliefs
    >trollface avatar
    >everyone takes him seriously and clamours to argue with him

you guys sure can be dumb.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

#tactics

I'll McGovern you up, son. Wait, you know who McGovern was, right?

Thread Information