Thread: In-Game Chat

In-Game Chat

Hi Guys,

I got a suggestion for in-game chat. Why not put it on the right side of the website? You have an ad banner on your right side of the screen, maybe a chat window/box/column/iframe above it or below the ad. Its really troublesome to keep switching screens just to check what's posted in the chat-zone. Maybe i'm lazy, but its an idea.

Regular
    Two monitors baby!!

But in all seriousness I'd prefer if they made getting into IRC easy for nubs before adding a KD chat feature. I think that would help generate a crop of players who can get much better with some direction.
    Nowhere Without Hope - Demise - Serenity - NeXuS - Seasons - Insolence

Just open two windows in your browser. Open the chat in one and shrink it down. Put them side by side. Doesn't work on a phone though I guess.

I guess i got to live with it :=(

Post Fiend
    The only feature I'd like to see with in-game chat is the ability to edit/delete messages, it's not our main form of communication but we do use it and we make a typo/accident etc there's no way to edit it except by making another comment, and if you are all thumbs for that moment it clutters the chat and makes a mess of things.

A simple edit/delete function would be much appreciated.

Who the hell wants to go on IRC, let alone wants new people to have to go there. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    Who the hell wants to go on IRC, let alone wants new people to have to go there. ugh.
    IRC is a good chat client compared to the ingame chat?

id rather struggle with the in game chat, even as it is, than work with something in addition to the game. its just another thing to sign up and log in to... and since the suggestion was to get 'nubs' there, it becomes a barrier, people see that they have to sign up for something else just for communications and its time to say goodbye.

i see the utility of IRC or any other chat service for that matter, but i dont want to use anything outside of utopia to play utopia. communications can be managed through a combination of in-game mail, forums, and the chat feature, although the chat is obviously frustrating in many ways.

These days, any time i play a new game online, or use any new service, really, if I learn upon signing up that seemingly basic features require me to sign up and create yet more accounts with third parties, I basically just assume its a scam and I am about to fall into and endless loop of things asking for my email. it precludes me from using a lot of stuff on the internet because its a common practice to generate ad revenue i presume.

even one outside requirement is offensive, this game generally has two(intel and comms). It may be that the player base is forcing the requirement, and not the game per se... but with the majority of KDs taking advantage of at least one of the above, its not likely a new player can join up to a KD that won't require them to sign up for at least one, and many times with the threat of being killed off if you don't.

... I guess its my beef with the idea of
    ...I'd prefer if they made getting into IRC easy for nubs before adding a KD chat feature...
    That would be a cop-out.

Implement tools into the game, quit alienating new players and continually asking why the player base is getting smaller. The game itself may not be responsible directly for this phenomena of 'chasing' new players, but it hasn't taken meaningful steps to stop it. If they sit back and watch players slowly destroy the community, it will still be their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Talaren View Post
    Two monitors baby!!

But in all seriousness I'd prefer if they made getting into IRC easy for nubs before adding a KD chat feature. I think that would help generate a crop of players who can get much better with some direction.
    getting into irc is easy, see sig.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Postaholic
    I'm sure he would have appreciated that info five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    id rather struggle with the in game chat, even as it is, than work with something in addition to the game. its just another thing to sign up and log in to... and since the suggestion was to get 'nubs' there, it becomes a barrier, people see that they have to sign up for something else just for communications and its time to say goodbye.

i see the utility of IRC or any other chat service for that matter, but i dont want to use anything outside of utopia to play utopia. communications can be managed through a combination of in-game mail, forums, and the chat feature, although the chat is obviously frustrating in many ways.

These days, any time i play a new game online, or use any new service, really, if I learn upon signing up that seemingly basic features require me to sign up and create yet more accounts with third parties, I basically just assume its a scam and I am about to fall into and endless loop of things asking for my email. it precludes me from using a lot of stuff on the internet because its a common practice to generate ad revenue i presume.

even one outside requirement is offensive, this game generally has two(intel and comms). It may be that the player base is forcing the requirement, and not the game per se... but with the majority of KDs taking advantage of at least one of the above, its not likely a new player can join up to a KD that won't require them to sign up for at least one, and many times with the threat of being killed off if you don't.

... I guess its my beef with the idea of

That would be a cop-out.

Implement tools into the game, quit alienating new players and continually asking why the player base is getting smaller. The game itself may not be responsible directly for this phenomena of 'chasing' new players, but it hasn't taken meaningful steps to stop it. If they sit back and watch players slowly destroy the community, it will still be their fault.
    You have to registered your nick sure if you want to have use of our own nickname but there is no need for account creation. While I do agree that improving the kd-chat is more valueable the getting and using irc isnt that much of a hassle as you like to believe.

Thread Information