Thread: Overpopulation question

Post Demon

Overpopulation question

Hey, I'm looking at an overpopulated province, and wondering if there are any specific rules regarding overpop at very small sizes or exceedingly high nw/a?

I am thinking the guy is way past the point where his defense should have abandoned him completely, but it's been a few ticks.

Also, what happens when there are no defense troops to desert?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I thought I understood overpopulation and then Bishop told me that you stop drafting wizards after they exceed your number of pezzies (or something like that). Yet, that's how 90% of overpopped people die, via drafting their last pezzies into wizzies...

Post Demon
    the thing is... according to the guide, defense deserts first, but the guy has only lost peasants and a few def spec every tick. Normally a province would be on zero defense the next tick. There is no doubt the guy is overpopulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I thought I understood overpopulation and then Bishop told me that you stop drafting wizards after they exceed your number of pezzies (or something like that). Yet, that's how 90% of overpopped people die, via drafting their last pezzies into wizzies...
    there are more but im not very comfortable in explaining =) as i don't know the formula by heart ... odd
    Last edited by Darkz Azn; 28-04-2012 at 11:18. Reason: odd ...

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Veteran
    No, people die from overpop because the wiki/guide lies.

Population exceeds Max Population: Your peasants will leave and no new peasants will be born. Peasants leave at a rate of 7% of total peasants or the amount you are overpopulated by, whichever of the two is lower.
    The truth: Peasants leave at a rate of 7% of total peasants or the amount you are overpopulated by, whichever of the two is lower, the minimum number of peasants that leave is x (i think it's 10, not 100% sure).

I've been saying this a couple of times, but apparently, spreading misinformation so that provs die from overpop is considered to add to the strategy of this game.
    http://www.upoopu.com/: an intel repository (or: "pimp alternative") for utopia (read the guide).

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Yet, that's how 90% of overpopped people die, via drafting their last pezzies into wizzies...
    This is not true. When you are overpopped you lose a percentage of peasants but this number has a minimum. I believe you lose at least 10/hr and that is why provs die.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nooblet View Post
    the thing is... according to the guide, defense deserts first, but the guy has only lost peasants and a few def spec every tick. Normally a province would be on zero defense the next tick. There is no doubt the guy is overpopulated.
    Provinces never go to zero defense over one tick. Military leaves based on military home, and soldiers (not defense) leave first. If he has army out, then it's dspecs and thieves that will leave after solds are gone. Troops home desert at a rate of 20% the amount you are overpopulated over 115% by (after peasant losses). It's pretty easy to calc, but all-in-all it will take a while for def to be overpopped away, not instantly. The more overpopped, the faster troops leave.

Post Demon
    Well the guy had something like 1200 nw/a at his low point... but was only losing like 40 dspec per tick, and presumably all his thieves. He released army since then, but his dspec are still mostly there. Haven't seen chain targets pushed that far down since raze in war was nerfed, lol. I was wondering if there was a cap on forces at home that will desert.

Veteran
    To OP-

If a province is suffering desertions but has enough soldiers home to cover the desertions, only soldiers leave. So his kdmates might be sending him hourly batches of soldiers to cover the desertions. Compare his tb from an earlier intel to see.

Post Demon
    Okay, that makes sense and is helpful to know.

Thread Information