Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brothers and sisters of Utopia. Why doesn't Utopia advertise

Post Fiend

Brothers and sisters of Utopia. Why doesn't Utopia advertise

We had about 120k players in the year 2000. Now we have 7k players. To some of us Utopia is the way of life. lol Utopia is very important. Why do we keep loosing players every year and why don't the owners of Utopia advertise before we only have 1k players?

My friend and I have figured out a way to build our player base back up. The owners of Utopia will be very successful if they hire a programmer. Create an app and put it in the Apple App store. Everyone who owns a Mac would have the chance to see what Utopia is about. We can all rate the app 5 stars.

We don't want Utopia to ever shut down. We need to do something to get our player base back.

Comments please? Thanks
    Last edited by Salvatore; 08-05-2012 at 17:48.

Salvatore i think a mobile app was in works but just takes too much effort, it is also fairly hard to get aps in the app store.

I am sure if you wire them 10k to advertise they will spend your money accordingly, in fact I bet they wouldnt mind if you purchase google add space for them...
    My life is better then yours.

Director of Age Changes
    We need mobile theme. Game is too slow atm.
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Because currently the price of advertising and recruiting a player costs more than that player will earn the game.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Is utopia still diminishing? I hope it remains running for years to come. I thought it had started to grow a bit more in the last couple of years? On another note, It seems new players are attracted to animation and such (which I could care less about). I like the idea of the new GUI utopia introduced last age, the only down side was it ran slow on my iPhone so I had to change back to the original version.

Postaholic
    Few reasons why player base stays status quo at 7k+ (not dimishing last 2 years):

Most people like more graphic games
    Most people like a game where you can get skills by the level, this is kinda hard from the start
    Facebook makes people numb with stupd simple games
    People who played utopia 10 years ago, are now busy with wife and kids, not all of them have time to combine it with utopia
    Less multis

I'm sure there are more and dunno if advertising will really help.

we players would have to put forth the money to afford advertising and the hiring of a programmer! But they can't make the game Pay-to-Pay or Pay-to-Win or anything... Though, advertising on Facebook (not as a facebook game) is cheap isn't it? you only have to pay if somebody clicks on your ad or something right? I looked into it last year for a small company I worked for, can't remember the details though...
    Quote Originally Posted by vines View Post
    100 is the same 1. And 1/92 just means .92.

| Blade of Dragons Mate | Mythos | S 1 3 3 7 Y | Desolated Mythos | Pandas | Barcoloco |

did some looking at advertising on Facebook again. You can choose if you want to pay only when people CLICK on the ad, or when the ad shows up on somebody's page. You can also set up a budget per/day so you aren't spending too much money on advertising, as well as how much you'll spend per click/view!

You just have to choose who you want to target the ad toward, upload an image, and add a description! Could probably be pretty cheap to do I would think yes..?

| Blade of Dragons Mate | Mythos | S 1 3 3 7 Y | Desolated Mythos | Pandas | Barcoloco |

Forum Addict
    I think a lot of people join every age. Figuring out how to keep people playing for a longer time would be cheaper than getting more players, and make it more viable to advertise/recruit new players.

The only way I see to get new players to stick around longer is to make the learning curve easier to grab a hold of. But you can't change any of the fundamental game mechanics or else everyone who's stuck with it this long will leave!

A practice server for new players to get a general feel for the game has been suggested before, and I think it would work wonders! The problem is once again cost...

Post Fiend
    A practice server for new players and players wanting to test out new strategies would be really nice. I agree that changing the game mechanics would ruin the game. I really appreciate the new UI of Neo Classic and also how I can keep it on Neo Classic. New players might like the new UI. Im old school. Maybe Utopia can set up something to accept donations that will be used to advertise Utopia on Facebook.

About teaching new players. This is very important. Utopia and Utopia`s dedicated players can create a youtube video with someone who shows and explains everything. Thats all. That would be amazing. Someone can explain everything very easily like this.

My kingdom and I will help if we can. One of the main reasons Utopia is such an amazing game is because you cannot pay money to make your province stronger. All those other games are mickey mouse. We can make Utopia more popular if us 7k mates work together. We will be the core of Utopia after we are successful. New players will watch a video to learn.

Utopia is hard to be good at if you don't know what to do. If you know the basics (you can show much more on the youtube video) Utopia is easy and a lot of fun. Lots of potential in Utopia.
    Last edited by Salvatore; 09-05-2012 at 22:14.

well... You can buy sit credits, or move credits, or other pay-able items for the game like removing ads or taunting other KD's.

People are adamant about helping out Utopia, so it is possible a donation system with all proceeds going toward advertising and coming up with a beginner-friendly guide or mini-server might actually work! People often say they'd be willing to donate XX monies toward the game if the money went to the write cause.

Post Fiend
    Yes, many of us would help if we had the opportunity. I would love to see Utopia ads on Facebook. The majority of us 7k players really love Utopia.

When I started i was willing to log on and be active, but the kds I landed in didn't want to be saddled with training a noob so I kept getting killed off. It was very discouraging, and I almost quit after try no. 3 or 4. I understand the need to remove inactive players, but if the culture of removing active but unskilled players would have to change or some people like me wouldn't stay. People need to be more patient/oriented towards developing new players.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Get recruited into a kd with people who are willing to take a noob under their wing. There are plenty of people looking...

Thread Information