Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Age 54: Dwarf/Mystic

Lebanon, I'm also a Dwarf A/M. I just feel that warrior is more beneficial to that.

A Dwarf Warrior is an good mage and good attacker.
    A Dwarf Mystic is an good mage, and a subpar attacker.

Mystic doesn't enhance your ability to be an A/M. You and I will have the same WPA. It only allows you to cast 1 extra spell every few hours. I don't think that is worth sacrificing 18% offense.

Post Fiend
    Jotun/Leb - The reason many say you need banks is that if you if you run 200% wages, you will most likely have problems paying for the upkeep. (Depends on your sci levels I suppose) How about Dragons ?
    Also you say you will do learns OOW - how do you get learns done and keep up with replacing your elites if you get max 5k gc/h ?

"clearsight/fana/quickfeet is a GOOD spellbook" - Yes it's a nice spellbook, but you don't need to be a mystic to utilize this.

You will also probably have to pump some wizzies between wars as mystic as well. 9% guilds might not be enough to account for your growth during wars. Unless your KD likes to landdrop a lot between wars..

Like nooblet and others said, go with another personality, so in case this won't work out, you can still enjoy a good age as an attacker instead of locking yourself in the a/m role.
    Last edited by Quacky-T; 10-05-2012 at 07:00.

Post Demon
    It took me about 4.5 raw for 15 mod Jotun, sage with MF and a litle bit of honour. Piling mods is a good thing.

And most ppl dont run 1 mod wpa so you could cast at will at them, 2 mod or higher is much more realistic. Also dont forget you need some buffer in your wpa to support growth and not render your wpa useless wit 2 hits in war.

I am pretty sure if you go mystic you will end up maintaining greeds in the end, and that seems a waste of personality to me.

Sage is much better option imo and you get strong bpa with dorf no mater how much you war with some creative build rotating and doing lots of learns midage and onward. You dont need stellar sci to make sage worthwhile on hybrid, 1k bpa with 250-300 bpa in channeling and some libs will allrdy make huge impact on your province and give you needed space efficency.

to summarize, imo go sage and target at 10+ wpa midage onward and focus on fb spamming to get the most out of dorf a/m

i sort of understand...i finally did the rune calcs and needed tower %.
    at 10% towers for a dwarf/mystic, all it does is allow me to cast about 12 more fireballs/hr than a sage with 10% towers cause of the +1 mana
    and i finally made the connection with mystic not benefiting dwarf other than ms/greed. seems like they are only suited for fireballing with the 30% spell damage

sage seems like the correct pick for dwarf a/m since theyd have more income, BE, offense (just no +1 mana) but im not sure if i want to play that combo. i may have to rethink EVERYTHING

Forum Fanatic
    With smartly placed science you can free up a lot. 100% in magic channeling gives you x 2 rune production also and + population means you can bolster offense or wizards a lot more to hit high Wpa. You also got the option mid age to switch to A/T if need be!

IMO:
    sage is almost always a good choice for ppl who want to play 2 roles / hybrid
    but lebanon, can i ask what kind of hybrid you wanna be ??? i think before you choose your persona or race or even building strategy, you should define your goal first ... you want "more attack, less mage" or "more mage, less attack" ??? if you wanna do more attack less mage i think u should consider dwarf warrior or sage ... if you wanna do more mage less attack why not elf instead of dwarf ??? coz i have seen good a/M and i have seen good A/m but have never seen anyone do equally good as A/M ... but maybe that's just me

i want
    - to enter wars with 100 opa/40 dpa with armies out
    - high GS, and ability to landlust when chained to counter overpop
    - high t/m defense (high wpa, decent tpa +CS + WTs)
    - to be able to **** people up with tornado/fireball
    - to be able to attack really fast if i want to

chose sage already

Forum Fanatic
    16*.8*.9*.68= 7.83 but this is WITH 33% Rax which IMO is way to high

.8 is war
    .9 is QF
    .68 is rax (32% effect)

Director of Age Changes
    Don't shoot yourself in the leg by picking mystic for dwarf.
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Enthusiast
    Even at 20% guilds a dwarf mystic can produce ~0.23 wpa raw every 24 hours, and with their pump ability a dwarf mystic can easily get whatever wpa it wants fast. So, for example, at 40% guilds they can train more than 0.44 wpa in 24 hours. It's easy enough to rebuild 20% of your land as a dwarf. I'm not for or against the dwarf mystic combo, but don't listen to people who say your wpa will be too weak to cast effectively on most attackers. Dwarves can pump anything fast, and a dwarf mystic's wizard pumping ability is phenomenal.

Regular
    Well you go mystic for the +1 mana and MS. Its not that he won't be able to cast on attackers effectively, its that he wont be able to effectively get MS off kinda neutralizing half of the reason to go Mystic

Enthusiast
    Why won't a dwarf mystic be able to effectively cast MSs? My point is a dwarf mystic can have whatever effectiveness it wants, or at least what it has space for. It affects income and BE if you carry a very high raw wpa, but it's still powerful. As a dwarf mystic, if you want to have a wpa capable of casting MSs you can and easily. You can also do plenty of damage with tornadoes or fireballs at +30% and duration spells are +50%, not to mention the fact that being able to defend against other mages will be important this age and while an elf or faery mystic could still cast on a dwarf mystic it's far less likely they can or will. There may be stronger combos depending on what you want, but some of these comments really underestimate the mystic and the dwarf's pump ability. I'll fear dwarf mystics until I get a sense of their wpa this age, because if they're committed to having powerful wizards they easily can. Anyway, have fun and play what you want. Just sayin'.

Generally speaking, you need at least twice the net WpA as your targets to reliably cast 'lesser' spells such as Fireball. Meteor Showers and Land Lust are more difficult spells and require closer to triple the WpA of your opponent to cast reliably. Though the BE bonus and Channeling Science stack in regards to Rune Production, that's still a buttload being wasted on fizzles (as well as potential Wizard losses) if your WpA isn't high enough to get through reliably.

At least that's how I understand it.
    Last edited by Twyla; 10-05-2012 at 19:53. Reason: Left out a word
    The only people who never make mistakes are those who never try to accomplish anything.

Post Demon
    It's more like 4x, discounting the times you'd need to cast Vortex to strip away buffs like Reflect Magic and Magic Shield to make your ops more valuable.

On Meteors - That op should be left to dedicated t/ms anyway, since you only need about 2 t/ms to cover Meteors on all enemy provinces. If you have attackers trying to cast Meteors, what happens when said attacker gets chained, and has a harder time getting the necessary runes or targetting an enemy's largest provinces? The same goes with other ops an a/m would want to run - when you get chained, your towers are trashed, and rune costs increase for smaller provinces, and finally size difference makes ops harder and less effective on the provinces you'd want to op. That is why an attacking mystic has to be played very carefully, because chaining such a province produces great rewards and such a province at the bottom is less effective than a strict warring personality.

Since my kingdom warred yours (Jotun/Lebanon)'s last age, I think I can say a few things...

- We had Undead/Mystics last age as I alluded to in another thread, and putting up meteors was difficult with a lot of mage pumping. Most of the a/ms gave up on Meteors and stuck with FB+Chastity to make life easier.
    - Since Cleric chaining came up (I don't know why); when a province runs very high offense, low defense, high draftrates with homes and low BE, any personality is easy to chain. Even then we didn't want to chain the Clerics, but we had to take down some of the high-honor and high-offense ones because those were the best chain targets, and if we did not put enough attacks into them we were shooting ourselves in the foot. This goes back to Mystic (and Rogue) as well - chaining Hybrids is a good way to make such provinces incapable of doing much of anything, forcing them to release their thieves and wizzies if they want to stay afloat.
    - Elf/Mystic is difficult to play right, but chances are your a/m wants to have a substantial defense and doesn't need a huge offense. a/m running high offense is guaranteed to get chained... at 6/6, Elf armies are about even with Dwarves, if they are adopting a more balanced offense/defense strategy. Elf Lords are better at turtling as well, and odds are an Elf can keep some of their elites at home to keep their defense higher. Your big elf's problem wasn't its army or build choice, but because it was played by a nub who wasn't using its size and army in the best possible way... had it been in the hands of a decent player we would have had a much harder war. Fortunately for us it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanon View Post
    Hello! my kd mate kindly posted that for me up there to help get me feedback. thank you for your comments and here is my response:

@mansoor "you need banks and income to be able to survive 200% payrate, upkeep cost, sci cost, some draft cost and rebuild cost "
    is payrate and upkeep the same thing? 200% will be 'survivable' especially if im not getting fb/ms/chastity all the time. sci is off in war, building/razing is free, specs from 2x attacks is good enough. the only thing left is 'some draft cost' which i believe i can adequately cover

@Luc "Don't see the point in going mystic when you aren't gonna run more wpa than that"
    3 raw wpa is a mid age estimate, i expect to have more eventually and its nice to have free buildings/raze for in between war to pump wiz
    this is why i chose mystic even if i only have 5-6 mod wpa:
    - i save 18% buildings for my war build
    - +1 mana
    - +50% spell duration saves a LOT of runes for both self spells and combat duration spells
    - better wiz numbers throughout the game (as opposed to non-mystic A/m)
    - not a completely useless personality OOW/during protection/ceasfire

@Ahab "you need more income. Some of the hospitals are better invested in banks"
    -ive been doing some numbers on this, and unless i have very low BE or need money for buildings/thieves (ie. not dwarf) then hospitals would save me more money than banks would generate. if it turns out i need banks sometime into the war itll be a free 14 hour switch though

@demascus "Sage > Mystic for dwarf"
    -sage isnt viable for our KD since we war maybe 7+ per age, with learns being our primary way to obtain sci

@dementedlogic "So I compared Dwarf A/M vs Dwarf Warrior"
    -youre right about the +1 mana +50spell vs +18% off, but if i was going pure attacker id pick Orc

@Ethan "Agree - banks a must. Even with halfer this age, I've been crying if my banks got too low." "Just accept your military *will* be lacking as a hybrid, and make sure you get to like 60 opa/40 dpa or better"
    - halfers need to replenish thieves and require money for buildings. ill still be hurting as a dwarf no doubt, but which attacker wouldnt?
    - i have already accepted that my military will be lacking as a hybrid, but it definitely wont be somethin **** like 60opa/40dpa (im assuming youre not talking about early age)

@Quacky-T
    - runes will be an issue until i find a good balance, i might have to adjust. also, i dont intend to build elites during war. as for the 800 bpa by midage, i can agree its a high estimate but id still do fine with 400-500bpa which is definitely a reasonable estimate.

@citadela01
    - i doubt id need 10+ WPA to cast MS on pure attackers with 1wpa, but if its true then ill leave it to our faerys and do other spells
    - no idea why you were trying to run 15 wpa as an elf last age...is that like 7 raw wpa?
    - cant sage

@nooblet
    -faery is a t/m and human would NOT make a good a/m.
    -clearsight/fana/quickfeet is a GOOD spellbook, and still probably more useful than ToG
    -i do acknowledge that having to recast QF is detrimental...but still a useful selfspell nonetheless
    -if i choose elf a/m not only will i have an inferior economy and no free buildings, but id also have ****ty offense (really ****ty), and less building space without CS, QF. im not interested in a defensive focus. we had a hopeless elf with that style of play last age and it worked Against our KD goals.
    -im not interested in dwarf pure attacker, id pick orc instead. sage is not an option since no more free books and we war all age. merchant is okay...for an a/m though? and how would that translate to a bump in wpa? i definitely need an explanation for that.
    -cleric frees up as much buildings as a mystic, and as much as a lot of other personalities like warrior or tactician
    -i would prefer using hospitals for plague protection as well.
    -ALSO chaining is used to overpop provinces to make their troops desert. if a cleric is chained, his population will be more inflated than a non-cleric because of all the extra soldiers (even released they are still population as peasants) which raises your overpop % and much higher chance for desertion. in other words, cleric is worse for being chained. warrior or tactician would be my attacker personalities of choice, depending on the race.
    -dont mind getting chained first. id still be useful as a chained province, and id have lots of chain protection with 15% GS and an inflated wpa allowing for LL.
    -you are correct, dwarf/mystic cant compare against the magic power or faery and elf but if they wanna waste ****loads more mana and runes on me instead of my teammates then thats a good thing.
    -lastly, although wiz pumps wouldnt be an issue for a dwarf non-mystic, my KD wars too much so mystic seems almost vital in this case of dwarf a/m

lol... citas 15 wpa stemmed from 4 raw, with 150% sci and VC honour and mages fury-.- you lose alot not picking sage and going for a race with MF. i didnt break 4 raw all age and i was close to 20 wpa at the same time he was 15^^ attackers by midage have about 3 mod wpa, you need 12+ to cast MS on that. Most times later in age you want to be fbing sages or turtles, they usually have above average wpa, so 15 wpa is not an overestimate for a hybrid that will grow during war....

for a warring kd, sage is of greater importance than a non warring kd... winning a war = free sci pump.... you say you want 7 wars this age, if you win 5 then theres ur 500bpa... sage didnt get a nerf with the mechanic changes... people are blinded by the obvious.
    Last edited by crease; 12-05-2012 at 13:03.

Thread Information