Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turning an enemy Faery T/M ineffective

There are numerous ways to reduce the effectiveness of Faeries besides hitting them. Massacre them before war, steal runes, etc. Hitting Faeries IN war is rarely an effective tactic, unless you've already won.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    youre a ghetto warring a ghetto, and should probably reevaluate the steps you took to get into that position.
    What's wrong with this??
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

Strategy Moderator
    There are numerous ways to reduce the effectiveness of Faeries besides hitting them. Massacre them before war, steal runes, etc. Hitting Faeries IN war is rarely an effective tactic, unless you've already won.
    Massacreing them can be useless if you dont do enough damage to keep them breakable all war. At least if you TM them they have to spend time regaining land before they have a decent income.

Post Fiend
    Your sinners tag in your sig doesn't help promote your intelligence involving these situations. You pretty much said any kd that starts to make hits on a fae is in a ghetto. Apparently every war you've been in has involved min time durations and inactive fae who don't aid out or tog dragons.

Post Fiend
    Yes. Lets have our attackers mass a fae before war, lets just make it easier for the other kd to chain us. Do you even think before you type pillz ?

Post Demon
    Massacre pre-war is crap...

Generally speaking it's too much effort to take down a faery compared to an attacker with attacks. There are better options.

If you must attack a faery in war, the best thing to do is to soften their defenses with meteors beforehand - you'll fail a lot of them, but if your t/m has any kind of wpa advantage it should be possible. Ghetto t/ms tend to neglect the defensive spellbook, and given Elves have +50 wpa this age it's likely that one of them can land Meteors (assuming they picked Mystic instead of the crap option Sage). Good t/ms will not let themselves be opped so easily. Thief ops are also helpful, especially if you brought halflings or pumped up a Faery with crime science and preferably Rogue personality. With that in mind, you can use a few massacres to open up the Faery to your t/ms more easily, without diverting too much attacker power from landgrabbing and chaining.

Sinners only had 1-2 ages when Faeries were around. There was no suitable T/M race for the majority of our run.
    And I didn't say massacring pre-war was the best strategy, but its more effective then wasting hits IN WAR to take down a faery.

As for the duration of our wars: Yes. The majority lasted 48 hours. Very few went beyond that.

Strategy Moderator
    And I didn't say massacring pre-war was the best strategy, but its more effective then wasting hits IN WAR to take down a faery.
    Not true at all, its not a waste to hit a feary in war, if you are taking land. As a feary doesnt run GS you often times get very nice gains too.

And then the Faery LL's all of that land back.

Strategy Moderator
    And then the Faery LL's all of that land back.
    So...mana/runes spent on LL= mana/runes not spent doing real damage to your kd. And thats only a first order effect.

If the Faery manages to LL back all or most of what it lost (and it will), then you've essentially wasted a wave on it.
    Acres moved win wars, not a Faery or two.

Strategy Moderator
    If the Faery manages to LL back all or most of what it lost (and it will), then you've essentially wasted a wave on it.
    Acres moved win wars, not a Faery or two.
    Sure, because 4 TM on a feary will cripple your attackers as far as incoming land while the feary can LLed it all back in a few hours, keep ms on your kd, and then become unbreakable. Yea its a complete waste to attack anyone that can recover land becasue u want to move acres, not do long term damage.

Do you even plan for long wars
    As for the duration of our wars: Yes. The majority lasted 48 hours. Very few went beyond that.
    or do you plan to scare a kd off at the 48 hour mark.
    Last edited by Persain; 24-05-2012 at 15:08.

4 trads is not going to keep a Faery from blanketing MS on your kingdom. It isnt even a noticable setback to the Faery, it just makes its life easier by raising it's WPA. If youre going to hit a faery, hit it hard.

I'll be honest. I completely missed age 41 where we apparently lost a number of wars (or at least 1 to Copy Cats?). Age 42 was the Cov/Abs Awar. Outside of those 2 ages, Sinners only lost 3 wars. One to Regulators, min time. One to EQ and one to RoCry. We withdrew vs. EQ around min time, and the war with RoCry lasted almost 4 days before we withdrew - it was a close war but we didn't see a win at the end of the tunnel. Apart from the war with RoCry, I can only remember 1 war that lasted longer then say, 60 hours, and that was against GA (with ZZ razing in). GA lost completely, and kept it going to EOA, ending the age like 50% smaller then us and with 5 dead provinces.

Scaring them into withdrawing was a tactic that obviously worked in our favor more times then not.

Post Demon
    The most simple way to deal with fairs are these two spells, (write them down):

Rob the Towers
    Sabatogue Wizards

Regarding the massacre/TM debate... I operate under this logic typically. That the faery already can break me/my kingdom with ops, so temporarily inflating his wpa/tpa doesn't matter. He will lose pezzies too, potentially waste mana on LL, and eventually he has to balance himself out anyways as far as population distribution goes or he'll be rocking some sweet dpa, tpa, and wpa, and crap pezzie count.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DDodge View Post
    The most simple way to deal with fairs are these two spells, (write them down):

Rob the Towers
    Sabatogue Wizards
    Very true for MOST fairies and just the magic side. It's also the strategy that requires the most amount of effort and can be countered if the feary logs in just after each tick to cast.

4 trads is not going to keep a Faery from blanketing MS on your kingdom. It isnt even a noticable setback to the Faery, it just makes its life easier by raising it's WPA. If youre going to hit a faery, hit it hard.
    I used 4 hits as an example because its makeing the fear "ineffective" not useless per the threads title. As well it may not stop MS forever but i point u to
    Quote Originally Posted by DDodge View Post
    Regarding the massacre/TM debate... I operate under this logic typically. That the faery already can break me/my kingdom with ops, so temporarily inflating his wpa/tpa doesn't matter. He will lose pezzies too, potentially waste mana on LL, and eventually he has to balance himself out anyways as far as population distribution goes or he'll be rocking some sweet dpa, tpa, and wpa, and crap pezzie count.
    You need to weigh out what is required/what will be the most effective. At even just 4 hits done during war your going to make a bit of his army desert if you hit when not online. sure wpa/tpa might go up but a feary with few peasents that spends time LLing is an ineffective feary.

Scaring them into withdrawing was a tactic that obviously worked in our favor more times then not.
    It works against some kds, but if you dont plan for longer wars your going to lose. Its even more obvious in the current ages compared to the 2 you mentioned becasue the average kd didnt start war with 2-3 provs that are nearly unbreakable.

Thread Information