Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Truth about the Right in America

I don't need statistics. Most people believe in some form of religion, that simple fact means they lack a certain level of logical thinking, regardless of how smart they may be otherwise. For example, my father is a very smart man, but he also believes that Noah's Ark really happened. This is a stupid belief of a very smart man. Religion is funny like that, because it's hammered in from youth and preys on the weakest parts of humanity until the day you die.

I don't see what I've said that qualifies as ridiculous. If I said I don't believe in Santa Claus, would that also be ridiculous? And I said nothing about banning you, I said I would end my conversation with you. Stop being an idiot please.

So now you're telling me my own feelings? Interesting, didn't know you knew me so well!

I hate the extremists yes, because they are scum of the earth in my opinion. You translate that into a wide ranging hate of religious people, which is a moronic assumption, as you are known to make. I didn't explain Lenin's actions as religious because I don't believe they were. Unless you're referring to Stalin being Atheist, in which case I would argue his hatred and persecution of religious people was just as related as the religious persecution of other religions by Hitler.

I don't believe one way or the other, I believe it is unknowable, and to claim otherwise is ignorance. That doesn't mean I accept the possibility of religious teachings I know to be false.
    Last edited by DHaran; 06-03-2013 at 21:01.
    S E C R E T S

I don't need statistics. Most people believe in some form of religion, that simple fact means they lack a certain level of logical thinking, regardless of how smart they may be otherwise. For example, my father is a very smart man, but he also believes that Noah's Ark really happened. This is a stupid belief of a very smart man. Religion is funny like that, because it's hammered in from youth and preys on the weakest parts of humanity until the day you die.
    Ive learned that when you claim something you need to provide some kind of evidence that its true otherwise that argument is pretty moot. But I guess thats just me.

I don't see what I've said that qualifies as ridiculous. If I said I don't believe in Santa Claus, would that also be ridiculous? And I said nothing about banning you, I said I would end my conversation with you. Stop being an idiot please.
    Pretty much all statements you made.

I hate the extremists yes, because they are scum of the earth in my opinion. You translate that into a wide ranging hate of religious people, which is a moronic assumption, as you are known to make. I
    Not once have you specified that you dislike only is to the extremist of religious people, all your "arguments" been sweeping statements. Since I been talking about religion in general and how its not "evil" I dont think my conclusion is very strange.

I don't believe one way or the other, I believe it is unknowable, and to claim otherwise is ignorance. That doesn't mean I accept the possibility of religious teachings I know to be false.
    But if you cant rule out the fact that there might be a entity that can be considered "God" how do you know they would be false in that case?

Sweeping statements against religion yes, not against everyone who follows them. I think of them more as victims to it actually. They just don't have the capability to break free of **** they were brainwashed with since birth.

Accepting the possibility of a higher power does not mean I accept the possibility of a 40 day world flood or 72 virgins waiting for me in the afterlife. My belief system is still based in reality.
    Last edited by DHaran; 06-03-2013 at 21:19.
    S E C R E T S

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by DHaran View Post
    It's not a biased opinion, it's fact. Right now there are children being taught about Adam and Eve, a virgin pregnant woman, and a guy walking on water. Across the world, other children are being taught when they die they get a bunch of virgin women to party with, so they better get to praying and giving alms. I know these things to be false, so it's not a biased opinion, it's based in reality.
    There are no facts about the existence or non-existence of an afterlife. A guess that there are 72 virgins waiting for you after you die if you live a good life is just as good of a guess that there is just nothing.

Right now kids are learning about "History" (most of which is either completely biased, omitted, or just wrong), Unprovable mathematical concepts, and unprovable scientific theories. Just think how "stupid" we'll look to people in 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    There are no facts about the existence or non-existence of an afterlife. A guess that there are 72 virgins waiting for you after you die if you live a good life is just as good of a guess that there is just nothing.

Right now kids are learning about "History" (most of which is either completely biased, omitted, or just wrong), Unprovable mathematical concepts, and unprovable scientific theories. Just think how "stupid" we'll look to people in 300 years.
    Valid point, but also keep in mind those kids go to school and learn the THEORY of evolution, the THOERY of relativity, etc. They don't go to church and learn the THEORY of Christ, they get told to start believing or burn in hell, lol.
    S E C R E T S

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    Ignorance?
    arrogance?

you know what... you want truth about america F@ck that sh^% I have freedom of speech! and a brain that is dangerous enough to use that to execerise my rights.. and ill manipulate people with provocative speech just like a politician would to get them to agree with my side... anyone who has any bit of "common sense" would argue and tell me to shut the f@ck up! and argue their side... and that my friends is how americans are.

you want the truth? YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH, so you doctor it up with political BULLSH!T!!!! thank you very much.

hmm, so what else should i say? you wanna change our country play their game and use words and manipulate people on the masses!

"AMERICA" -_- <# just had to add taht

Post Fiend
    I'll reply to a few broad statements here..

Religion is based on BELIEF, not experience. It was originally a way to explain the world around them. The oldest of religions concentrated on the more basic needs of the people.. The sun, crops, ect.. It got more complex as our society become more complex. The bible (a good example) attempts to explain how everything came into being, and why things are the way they are. Most of it has been proven to be false. Many of the stories ARE based on real-life experiences however. You can reliably link up real historical events with events in the bible. Feel free to look that up (not all of them, but many) That may be what you mean when you say religion is based on experience. It is a narrow view on a very broad statement.

Kids aren't learning about unproven mathematical concepts, unless they are taking quantum mechanics or something of the like (Not exactly a grade-school subject..) The math they are taught is all PROVEN and is usually only a stepping stone to get to the more advanced stuff. I would rather have my child learn an unprovable scientific theory that has strong evidence to support it than a false "concept" that has been proven wrong repeatedly.

Korp: Many scientists believe in a higher-power. Few believe in the bible, Especially physicists (The folks working to learn the rules of how the universe works on every level) You don't have to be atheist to believe that pretty much every religion on earth has it wrong, and preaches ignorance, just because they have been doing it for many many years. Human nature is to question everything around us. Why? is probably the most important question you can ask. So why do they ignore the facts, and continue to follow blindly and spread hate to everyone that disagrees? Why do they feel the need to FORCE their beliefs upon others? School is about learning, whether it be the facts or the theories with sufficient evidence, yet many individuals want schools to teach concepts that have been proven false, or have strong evidence against it.

Kemia: You obviously haven't done a lot of traveling. That mindset, is found in every part of the world with free speech, or anything resembling it. Interestingly enough, protests are far less likely to get violent in the US than any other country nowadays. I'm in the UK right now, and I regularly get warned to avoid scheduled "peaceful" protests because they are likely to become violent. Does this not strike you as hypocritical? Americans are always accused of being arrogant, but as often as not, it is by someone with their nose too far in the air to see the ground beneath their feet, and many times by an individual who has never met the average American. I have friends from all over the world, and if you disregard different accents and languages, for every single non-American, I can point to an American that is nearly identical in the way they act. There are only minor cultural differences between different modern nations. If you want to see a different culture, visit Japan.. Now THAT is interesting. It might also put the world into perspective for you.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Liar View Post
    No, religion is based on experience, of Jesus Christ, Mohamed, Buddha, etc... its belief of their followers and worshipers based on ideas.
    You might want to look a little more closely at these religions. They are all based on the TEACHINGS of those individuals, not their experiences. They do cover their experiences, but that is not what the religion is based on.

Math is not exact science. Physics can prove math propositions only by experiment.
    Math is about getting a specific answer. There are rules that, should you follow them, will always result in the same answer. It is only the more complex math that is still working to be proven.

No, religion is based on experience, of Jesus Christ, Mohamed, Buddha, etc...
    Whos experience was based on belief.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Bollocks.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Quote Originally Posted by DHaran View Post
    Politics causes division for reasons based in reality. Taxes, laws, crime, elections, REAL THINGS.

It's not an opinion. Religion is based on myths and fantasies. I prefer facts. Religion is despicable because it feeds on the stupidity of the average person, and encourages spreading that stupidity to future generations.

Am I ok with the deaths of innocents? Of course not, that's a stupid question. Do I understand why it happens? Absolutely. Are you going to tell me next you think we shouldn't have fought the Nazis because innocents might get hurt?

The worst case scenarios are war and death, as seen throughout history. The best case scenario is keeping yourself ignorant and leading a good life, but one that is based on lies.
    It is pretty jokeable to relate the murder of jews to religious war imo. It was financial sanctions that caused WW2 if anything. Dire times = extremist leader = dead people. If jews had not existed some other group likely would have been killed. People kill for race/religion/social standing/region. If you can find anyway to distinguish one group of people from yourself you can find a reason to kill them.

Post Fiend
    It's not really that jokeable.. That wasn't the only time they have been persecuted as a race. That's all irrelevant though, because that persecution wasn't religious based, it was race, and jews were not the only ones targeted.

Edit:

It is important to note that the Nazi's believed the Ideal race was the Aryan race. (Light Hair and Eyes)
    Last edited by LuckySports; 12-03-2013 at 02:37. Reason: Just an extra note

Quote Originally Posted by goodz View Post
    It is pretty jokeable to relate the murder of jews to religious war imo. It was financial sanctions that caused WW2 if anything. Dire times = extremist leader = dead people. If jews had not existed some other group likely would have been killed. People kill for race/religion/social standing/region. If you can find anyway to distinguish one group of people from yourself you can find a reason to kill them.
    Of course there are multiple factors and multiple causes of such carnage, but to ignore religion's prime role in historical violence would be silly.
    S E C R E T S

I dare to say if religion wouldnt have existed something else would have been.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    @lucky -

a=a

Provide a proof please.

Thread Information