Thread: The Truth about the Right in America

Regular
    = does not exist. or so ive been told.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    @lucky -

a=a

Provide a proof please.
    That's already in it's simplest form. The proof is in itself, it is the equivalent of 1=1, or 2=2 and ect.

the "a" is a variable, it is a stand in for something else. It is often used when you do not know the number, and the problems can often be "solved" so that it appears in a simpler format. Following certain rules, you will always get the same answer when you do this. Just because you don't know the number, doesn't mean it's not an exact science. You aren't going to get a different answer each time, or even 1 in 100, as long as you are following all of the set rules. :)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I know more about math than you do lucky, this is becoming apparent.

a=a is only assumed to be true so as to set up the "rules" for which math is built around. It's not inconceivable that there's a problem with a=a (or the other unprovable foundations for math) such that it's not always true, which would make all the later proofs flawed, which would render all/most of math pretty useless.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I know more about math than you do lucky, this is becoming apparent.

a=a is only assumed to be true so as to set up the "rules" for which math is built around. It's not inconceivable that there's a problem with a=a (or the other unprovable foundations for math) such that it's not always true, which would make all the later proofs flawed, which would render all/most of math pretty useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySports View Post
    Math is about getting a specific answer. There are rules that, should you follow them, will always result in the same answer. It is only the more complex math that is still working to be proven.

You obviously don't listen none too good.(Written like that on purpose) We aren't teaching unproven math in school. That doesn't really start to show up until college level courses, at which point, the entire argument is invalid as students can choose their area of study.

Feel free to ignore everything I say and make an argument completely irrelevant to what I've said. I will just shake my head in disappointment.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I'll go ahead and make this as very clear as I possibly can.

a=a isn't proved.
    Saying that a=a because a=a isn't a proof.

When the foundations for everything you are teaching kids isn't proved, then they're learning unproven theories.

Thread Information