Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New chat client

New chat client

Hi guys - please let us know if you have any issues with the new chat client here. Fell free to make feature requests but bear in mind that this chat client is in early development and that it will not just be for Utopia.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Not sure how i did it, i think i used the arrows to move through the message but when i hit enter it didnt update the window chat, so i posted again, and it didnt update, refreshed the page and it was there twice.
    Also as new messages come, there is no way to know if it is minimized, maybe do something with the title to let people know there is activity like change its colour or add text to it?
    uTools for Firefox | uTools for Chrome
    [Angels - Mercy - Evolution - Rage ]

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Issue:

What new chat client?

bottom right of your screen in utopia(its minimized),if its not there you either have it blocked or it hasnt been rolled out to the entire server.
    uTools for Firefox | uTools for Chrome
    [Angels - Mercy - Evolution - Rage ]

Post Demon
    Multi-tabing doesn't show updates on old tabs. Also seems to require a page refresh to show your own entry. (I think the latter is Angelus' problem - enter on chat ought to cause refresh, but I don't think it does.)

Started pop-ed up for me. My king mistook it for an ad, till I wrote something in it. Kinda suggests it was open on his by default too, but not sure. I heard rumor of it being out before I saw it too, so I think it is a rolling deployment.

Looks hopeful, overall. No great improvement yet, but it has promise and I see nothing worse than the old system.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

I like the idea, but right now it's beyond buggy, completely unusual. It doesn't load half the time, and when i just wrote in it i got

<html> <head><title>502 Bad Gateway</title></head> <body bgcolor="white"> <center><h1>502 Bad Gateway</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx/1.1.19</center> </body> </html>
    in red text. Also, it doesn't like multy tab or multy browsers and i didn't notice it till my kd mate told me about it and i allowed javascript. I still havn't figured out what subdomain i need to allow javascript for to enable it. (Not to mention half my kd's mates will miss it like this).

If this thing starts working, my first feature request would be to be able to enlarge the chat and be able to pop it in a separate window. Can't check if that's possible right now because it doesn't even load.
    As long as it's not 100% reliable and loads quickly, this thing won't win from MSN or IRC.

Great new feature, really enjoying this new chat system so far.

Only one issue I've noticed is sometimes messages in the chat client disappear when I am clicking around through the game.

I like it. I think it will help kingdoms out alot. It would be handy if there was a pop out choice or a way to make it larger. 25 provinces online at once, the chat could get very confusing and/or missed.

How long are we going to be able to test it out?

it seems like a good thing sofar ill say way better than the kd chat thingy just needs to be bigger

Post Fiend
    the feature is buggy and has some serious lag issues .... but if implemented it would be awesome so i can stop razeing new players outta my kd cuz they cant use irc ...

At the moment, I'm having chat loading issues. Each time I click on a different sidebar item, it deletes everything recently written and reverts to an IM from this afternoon. Afterwards, new chats will be sent in still though. Then, I'll click another item, and it'll bring me back to that old chat, without the new IMs. (And yes, I am scrolling down to the bottom).

Regular
    My kingdom had access to it for a short time yesterday, and then there was an update and it's gone. I assume it was reallocated?

Anyway, in that short time I did notice that it was very slow loading. It didn't hold up the rest of the page from loading, which was good, but the chat client itself took at least 30 seconds just to appear, and then about another 15-20 seconds for the conversation to appear. Also, when I typed in the box, the text did not appear until I refreshed, though I only waited about 20 seconds (it could have just been delayed).

It otherwise appears to be a good feature, and has a much better interface than the other chat feature. However, a resize option would be good. I also like the fact that it displays how many users are online, though it would be even better if it's possible to indicate which users are online.

Post Fiend
    Thx angevin

@angevin
    its gone from our kd also but if you had clicked on the number of members in chat (the text part) it had a drop down list of the memders there.

question is will we get it back?

The devs will probably add/remove it a few times as they works out the kinks - for example, it should never ever cause lag.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Thread Information