Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/M help

A/M help

im planning on resetting to an A/M after my KDs war ends in 9ish hours. I was thinking either Dwarf/Mystic so i can pump wizzies extremely quickly or Elf/Tact (not quite sure about the personality for Elf). i know its pretty late to reset and get a decent wpa so what do you guys suggest?

what about perhaps elf merchant or elf mystic? If you want to get casting spells ASAP elf mystic is your best bet.

+50% spell efficiency
    Mages fury for +20% more efficiency multiplies to 1.8x

Means you just gotta get to around 2 raw wpa to start being effective casting against attackers. A dwarf at this point with bad science is going to need at least 3 raw wpa to be able to cast efficiently against attackers. Most attackers at this point will have 1.5 raw wpa and +40% from science :) so you need around 4.5 mod for good success rates on easy spells such as fireball :(

If your playing in a weaker kingdom keeping MS up is the most useful thing a mage can do and would be very hard for a dwarf to cast.
    My life is better then yours.

Regular
    for A/M i agree with goodz, elf/mystic.

if your looking to add a mystic at this point in the age for added MS coverage would you go with faery or elf?

elf myst obviousry.

+80% wpa in built and +1 mana over anyone else.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

#tactics

I'll McGovern you up, son. Wait, you know who McGovern was, right?

reasonable, my KD has no shortage of attackers lol i can deal with a lower offense

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goodz View Post
    If your playing in a weaker kingdom keeping MS up is the most useful thing a mage can do and would be very hard for a dwarf to cast.
    To be fair a dwarf/mystic should be able to have an easier time than you are letting on. That is due to the dynamic nature of war a good portion of your MS targets are going to be attackers that have grown 30%+ during war. That'll drop their mod wpa quit a bit, and with careful planing and well placed dwarf/mystic kd placement you can ensure that your dwarf/mystic wont be growing nearly as much. With that said i personally like elf over dwarf for a/m.

Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    To be fair a dwarf/mystic should be able to have an easier time than you are letting on. That is due to the dynamic nature of war a good portion of your MS targets are going to be attackers that have grown 30%+ during war. That'll drop their mod wpa quit a bit, and with careful planing and well placed dwarf/mystic kd placement you can ensure that your dwarf/mystic wont be growing nearly as much. With that said i personally like elf over dwarf for a/m.

cutting your nose off to spite your face.

not much of an A/M if you're purposefully conspiring not to take acres from your enemies.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

#tactics

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by John Snowstorm View Post
    cutting your nose off to spite your face.

not much of an A/M if you're purposefully conspiring not to take acres from your enemies.
    Its not that you wouldn't be taking acres, its that you dont get to hit the fattest targets. For example say we are chaining a guy from 2500 acres down to 300 acres. If you are using a dwarf/mystic right the dwarf isnt the one to start the chain with a double tap for 400+ acres, thats the job of a non-mystic. Your dwarf would be the third-fifth hitter so they gain less total acres but your chain is just as effective. Remember in a chain someone is getting shafted with not amazing gains, that would be your dwarf/mystic A/M.

typically you will hit in nw order to maximise chain effectiveness.

it is also good to grow A/Ms since they are generally best candidates for UBs since they have mag defense and thieves/WTs can be trained/built.

I don't think it's a terribly good idea to short shrift your AMs.

#tactics

Strategy Moderator
    typically you will hit in nw order to maximise chain effectiveness.

it is also good to grow A/Ms since they are generally best candidates for UBs since they have mag defense and thieves/WTs can be trained/built.

I don't think it's a terribly good idea to short shrift your AMs.
    when a attacker gets chained at some point they start to level off in nw even with more hits. Thus someone with 250-300 nw/acre still needs hits and can very much be in nw range of a mid teir A/M. You'll still be hiting in nw to maximize chains your just getting alot less land than you would be if they were land fat at 99 nw/acre.

Also if your plan is to put your a/m unbreakable and grow them significantly your not exactly planning on being a mystic who casts alot of MS. Be it elf or dwarf as soon as you go unbreakable your goal is gain acres and economy which defeats the purpose of going mystic to cast alot of MS (where elf>dwarf becomes very obvious), especially when the other kd starts to AW you.

edit. like i said i'd still go elf>dwarf its just not as bad as Goodz made it sound.
    Last edited by Persain; 26-06-2012 at 21:17.

Post Demon
    Elf/Mystic is the obvious choice. Anything else wouldn't be magey enough to bother calling yourself an a/m.

Dwarf/Mystic is alright, but MS is quite difficult. Even with mystic, they'll have trouble defending against a Faery or Elf's magic, though they can block many of the fireballs a dwarf would receive. They're not that much better than Elves offensively, but they don't have as much to worry about against thieves. They're pretty solid fireballers, and their building bonuses save a lot of money in the long term.

Anything that's not a mystic is going to have problems. Mystic is too good, makes all that investment in magic much more effective, especially duration magic. Non-mystics can get the WPA easily enough, but they don't have anywhere near the same effectiveness.

For elves, non-mystics can work, but they are a lot harder. Tactician is alright, combining the extra spec credits with a good magic defense and faster attack times with a good turtling unit.

Forum Addict
    OP, without knowing what kind of ops you want to do, whom you want to do them against, and the makeup of your kd its hard to be sure what the best one is. One thing i haven't mentioned about elf/mystic is that it allows you to MS without keeping elites home, which is a problem this age against all the orc core.

you need about 3.5x their mod wpa to hit around 4/5 MS. Thats real hard with bad science. Also your going to have to wait longer to get the wpa high enough :P. Elf just gets it faster because of the 1.8 modifier. Dwarf has better economy and slightly better military (not much better)

If your only casting instant spells like fireballs it is very easy to consider other things such as merchant/tact. So Is some options on what elf personality. But I dont think dwarf really compares.
    Last edited by goodz; 26-06-2012 at 22:47.
    My life is better then yours.

when a attacker gets chained at some point they start to level off in nw even with more hits. Thus someone with 250-300 nw/acre still needs hits and can very much be in nw range of a mid teir A/M. You'll still be hiting in nw to maximize chains your just getting alot less land than you would be if they were land fat at 99 nw/acre.

Also if your plan is to put your a/m unbreakable and grow them significantly your not exactly planning on being a mystic who casts alot of MS. Be it elf or dwarf as soon as you go unbreakable your goal is gain acres and economy which defeats the purpose of going mystic to cast alot of MS (where elf>dwarf becomes very obvious), especially when the other kd starts to AW you.

edit. like i said i'd still go elf>dwarf its just not as bad as Goodz made it sound.

thieves can be trained, WTs can be built, mag protection cannot. AMs are best candidates for UB and UBs win wars, having them piffle around purposefully grabbing **** hits is bad strategy.

An A/M that can cast MS successfully can easily double in size and still be able to cast FB or other spells from the lower tiers.

#tactics

Strategy Moderator
    thieves can be trained, WTs can be built, mag protection cannot. AMs are best candidates for UB and UBs win wars, having them piffle around purposefully grabbing **** hits is bad strategy.
    Someone has to make crappy low land gain hits its the nature of chaining, if you cant see that then i can point you to 20+ kds that would welcome a war with you. If you either finish off chains with your largest attacker or dont finish chains any one of those kds will tear you apart even if you have better activity.
    An A/M that can cast MS successfully can easily double in size and still be able to cast FB or other spells from the lower tiers.
    Sure thieves can be trained, a/m make good unbreakbles because they can hold onto peasants and pump your kd's econ. However it still boils down to the notion that most kds dont have 7-8 mystics in them, if you went mystic your are the kd's MS whore in most cases you wont want to double in size and remove the ability of your kd to cast MS. This is especially true in a ghetto where its usually going to be more beneficial to pump up a non X/mystic as MS does more econ damage to your opponent than being an unbreakable X/Mystic can benefit your own kd.

That is doubling in size removes a good portion of your ability to cast spells and more often than not you'll go from a/m to just average attacker/bank. Its fine to be a bank, but if your kd has the choice to pump 2 people and 1 is a mystic you have to decide does the benefit of pumping the A/M (more peasants but lower offence and loss of MS) outweigh that of pumping someone else. And that's why even with good planing
    Quote Originally Posted by goodz View Post
    But I dont think dwarf really compares.
    i dont think a dwarf is as good as an elf, but Goodz original post made it sound much worse, where as i think if you plan right a dwarf will only do slightly worse running specifically as an A/M.

Thread Information