Thread: Dwarf Sage Heavy attackers?

Talking Dwarf Sage Heavy attackers?

I have been going on for days now trying to fulfill every need I look for in a race/personality this age while still fulfilling my Heavy Attacker role in a top warring kingdom. My choices are as follows:

Dwarf Sage:
    Undead Tact:
    Orc Tact:

I played an orc tact last age and loved it, now granted I will have DIRECT support from my fellow kingdom mates often never having MS on me for more than 1 tick and having a very responsive T/M and attacker kingdomates I am trying to figure out what race/personality I can choose to best fit an active experienced player in this type of situation.

Note: I know how to play orcs this age to make them good, I don't like the Undead science nerf late age, and I am afraid a Dwarf Sage won't crack out to be the "orc" unkillable war machine that I once knew from last age. Can I fulfill my lust for blood with a Dwarf Sage Heavy attacker? Will i be able to sustain a full elite army without the orc/tact ability to replenish elites in a heavy waring kingdom with the econ of a dwarf sage? Or should I take the easy route and pick Undead like 75% of the rest of my kingdom? I as a dwarf don't want to be the "human" of last age that once beat down enough was effectively taken out of a war... I want to be closer to the Orc of last age where no matter how low I got beaten down to 400 acres from 3,000 I still had that offensive war machine to get myself back up. I want to do this while being able to replenish an all elite army as a dwarf, create a war machine that is hard to kill, that also hits super hard.

Food for thought only please... I am starving (no pun intended I realize this will be a problem as a dwarf lolz)
    Last edited by Centaurion; 09-08-2012 at 18:44.

huh? why no avian?

Avian wont work with our kingdom build, and I still don't like them this age being that horses will be super important and they cannot use them.

Enthusiast
    If your the only Dwarf its like waving a red flag and yelling "kill crap here".
    You can sustain the economy for elites ect without issue, but I dont know if you can hold up to the ops and attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggis View Post
    If your the only Dwarf its like waving a red flag and yelling "kill crap here".
    You can sustain the economy for elites ect without issue, but I dont know if you can hold up to the ops and attacks.
    yea that is what I am worried about, we have at least 10 undeads and 5 orcs as it stands right now, me and POSSIBLY 1 other person would go Dwarf sage heavy attackers, probably going to be an onslaught of waves coming our way the entire age, but I feel that way as an orc as well... the way I see it unless you run a 60/40 elite:off spec army as an orc this round you will easily be ambushed + waved by an enemy top warring kingdom, Orcs are easily killed this round if warring an experienced foe, Especially playing in a kingdom full of undeads.

Enthusiast
    What I think people miss is that if you can ambush and ORC you can most likely also ambush and undead.. its just 1 pp elite.
    I think the ambush fears are over rated for ORC.. reflect magic is the best spell in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggis View Post
    What I think people miss is that if you can ambush and ORC you can most likely also ambush and undead.. its just 1 pp elite.
    I think the ambush fears are over rated for ORC.. reflect magic is the best spell in the game.
    Well I have to disagree with you on this one because of one reason. Naturally because of racial bonuses Undeads will be running a MUCH higher Off spec to Elite ratio so ambushed a lot less considering a portion of those off specs will be auto converted into elites 50/50 is standard for undeads elite/off spec ratio... Orcs were always very strong because of the fact that they ran very high elite armies, this age orcs are going to be forced to run much less elite heavy armies to battle the high ambushes this age, more close to 60/40 elite:off spec rather than 80/20 of last age, so Orcs will be ambushed A LOT more this age if not played properly in my opinion. And in a kingdom like mine where we are all connected through text messaging... If an orc attacks improperly he will be ambushed + attacked by the person he attacked and quickly med-deep chained by at least 5 of our heavy attackers to take advantage of that poorly executed attack.

Veteran
    Running specs just to prevent ambushing is very silly.

Post Fiend
    Don't fear ambush so much. My kingdom mostly ran all-elite Orcs last age and we didn't have a lot of problems with ambush, simply by coordinating our attacks properly and occasionally casting anonymity, when the attack looked like too good an ambush target.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Centaurion View Post
    Well I have to disagree with you on this one because of one reason. Naturally because of racial bonuses Undeads will be running a MUCH higher Off spec to Elite ratio so ambushed a lot less considering a portion of those off specs will be auto converted into elites 50/50 is standard for undeads elite/off spec ratio... Orcs were always very strong because of the fact that they ran very high elite armies, this age orcs are going to be forced to run much less elite heavy armies to battle the high ambushes this age, more close to 60/40 elite:off spec rather than 80/20 of last age, so Orcs will be ambushed A LOT more this age if not played properly in my opinion. And in a kingdom like mine where we are all connected through text messaging... If an orc attacks improperly he will be ambushed + attacked by the person he attacked and quickly med-deep chained by at least 5 of our heavy attackers to take advantage of that poorly executed attack.
    Wait, what?

Post Demon
    Silly orcs and avians invading the dorf strategy thread, lol.

Don't pick Sage unless your kingdom is willing to take time to pump science, and your kingdom has at least half or the majority of the kingdom as Sages. Because Sages are crap early on, every kingdom and their uncles is going to want to war you early, making it difficult to secure position later on. Late-game, few people will want to war you, and the ones who do have advantages your science can't overcome easily. The only good things about Sage are plague immunity and science protection, which prevents most people from ever doing learn attacks on you period. Having plague immunity is a nice perk when you're beside a majority undead kingdom, but undeads aren't going to spend a lot of time pumping science which means your Sage will also not have time to raise their science.

Focus on some thieves early on so you can rob randomly to sustain more science. Never turn your science off, even run minimal/limited during war unless you absolutely have to.

Dwarves are *very* strong attackers this age and I'd highly recommend them with a side of OPs. Sage would be a good fit for this, but again you're going to be weak until late age. I would consider running Warrior, Cleric (depending on KD comp), and Sage for a DW heavy attacker. Just make sure you run Stables and TGs and GS. You have plenty of room and lots of BE, so make use of it. :) With Sage you can easily catch up to UD toward mid/end of age. Just make sure you keep pumping your science and looking for learns in between Wars. You can pump science in a warring KD just fine, just help to win wars and do random learns. ^_^

Edit: I would also recommend turning toward a fuctional A/t/m toward EOA as DW Sage. You have plenty of building room.

Thread Information