Thread: UN Arms Trade Treaty

UN Arms Trade Treaty

What are your thoughts on this? The only things I have heard are incoherent ramblings from pro-NRA people.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

I need a link to some info on it... I'm not well informed.
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

All I get from this is that they're starting to agree that they should start to have some talks about starting something.

lol.

But I think this is a good idea.
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

Post Demon
    maybe the bridge collapsed on its own?

I think the NRA rules

im a pretty liberal person but banning guns is a bad idea
    Player History

-Returned in Age 55: "Happy Grasslands" Undead Cleric in WE KC (M)
    -Age 56: "Cortez the Killer" Elf Mystic in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 1st Half: "KC March of the Penguins" Avian Warrior in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 2nd Half: "Granny Smith" Halfling Rogue in TFC
    -Age 58: "A Horse With No Name - America" Halfling Rogue in HRS Partial (S)
    -Age 59 1st Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in HRS
    -Age 59 2nd Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in AC
    (S)
    -Age 60 1st Half: "Beaver" Elf Mystic in AC (M)
    -Age 60 2nd Half: "I don t want" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 61: "trizzle my wizzle" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 62: "Tras19 is amazed by midgets" Dwarf Sage in Beastblood (CROWN x 2)
    -Age 63 yr 1-12: "To learn his Elfabet" Avian Merchant in Beastblood
    -Age 63 yr 12-14: "Thanks for the death Flogger" Orc Tactician in Beastblood
    -Age 64 yr 1-6: "Lust and Thrust" Halfling Rogue in PewPew
    -Age 65: "back yet again" Elf Merchant in Old Skool (M)
    -Return again in Age 67: "Whimsyton" Elf Merchant in the ghetto
    -Age 68 1st Half: "This Girl is on Shire" Halfling Rogue in The Shirish Mafia (M)
    -Return Yet Again in Age 76 2nd Half: "Happy Grasslands" Dark Elf Paladin in BOL
    -Age 77: "?" Human Sage in ? (M)

Noteworthy Achievments

*** Age 62: Books of War ... KD Land Crown and KD NW Crown Winner with Beastblood ***
    *** Was a member of The Faery Circle, yet have never played Faery ***
    *** Have never had a province die except once when I let Flogger province sit me for 24 hours in a war ***

Regular
    Banning guns is like banning drugs. #1, Its impossible and #2 if you try to do it you will only make criminals out of good honest folk. If they start rounding up peoples guns in the USA I can guarantee an armed rebellion will spring up over night.

Yes, its been proven that banning guns cannot work. Oh wait, no it hasn't.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Regular
    Banning guns is impossible in the USA. Too many people have guns and enjoy owning guns. It would be the same as a ban on beer or weed. If banned guns would not go away they would just become more expensive and those caught would have to goto fill our already overcrowded prisons.
    Last edited by thephatman; 17-01-2013 at 18:08. Reason: typos

Yes it has Bishop - Look at Chicago, or DC as a case study. Guns are banned period they have some of the highest crime rates in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by thephatman View Post
    Banning guns is impossible in the USA. Too many people have guns and enjoy owning guns. It would be the same as a ban on beer or weed. If banned guns would not go away they would just become more expensive and those caught would have to goto fill our already overcrowded prisons.
    Why is the US so special? Other countries have banned guns.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I would be ok with banning guns if we removed them from the police and military as well.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Why is the US so special? Other countries have banned guns.
    Well, 1st off. If you look at the crime data in the countries who have banned guns you will find that crime was not effected in a measurable way by these bans. When you look at European countries who have not banned gun ownership like Switzerland you will find they have very low crime.
    In England where gun bans are strong they have very serious problems with crime and non-gun violence. In the US NYC, who has the highest level of gun control also has some of the highest crime per capita in the country. So I reject the premise that gun control reduces crime and or deadly violence.

Using the word impossible was hyperbole. I admit gun bans could be done in the US but I think the costs outweigh the potential benefits by such a wide margin that the attempt would be foolish at best and very unlikely to be attempted on a nation wide scale. In the US there are ~500 million guns held privately. If these guns were made illegal about 1/4 of the population would become criminals over night. I'm not sure how many of those gun owners would hand their guns over to avoid legal ramifications but I'm sure we can agree that there would be a substantial percentage of them who do not respect the gun ban. Much like the prohibition of marijuana and alcohol before it such a ban on a popular and widely used product would only force the trade of that product into the black market. Gun's would be bought and sold regardless of gun control laws. The only difference gun control will make is to push the sale and profit of the gun trade into the hands of violent criminals + gangs.

I think the media+gov't trend is leaning toward total gun-ban. I think this is a flawed idea but I suspect what will happen is that slowly local and state governments will increase legislature to "control" the sale and ownership of guns until a few generations pass and the # of gun supporters/total guns is much lower allowing for a ban to become manageable. This is a terrible future we face but it seems to be unavoidable due to the powerful effect of the left-wing intelligentsia propaganda that has become so overwhelming in the corporate media news / entertainment broadcasts. B4 ppl get all butt hurt that I insulted the left remember I am a No-Wing kinda guy so please spare me the usual conservative bashing and try to address the points i have made instead. It's rather pathetic that these debates are divided so neatly over imaginary party lines; I wish people would try to think for themselves.
    Last edited by thephatman; 21-01-2013 at 21:51. Reason: Grammar = bad

Thread Information