Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuremberg Code

Post Fiend

Nuremberg Code

good talk
    Last edited by hllwrld; 18-12-2012 at 22:22.

When it was put in place, they didn't think, "You know, all of this is going to be useless in 60 years. Let's give it an expiration date so that scientists know when they can start conducting trivial experiments that end in the loss human lives again."

I wouldn't go against the Nuremberg Code, even for something really, really, really interesting.

Post Fiend
    good talk
    Last edited by hllwrld; 18-12-2012 at 22:21.

But with that experiment you wouldn't have to torture them. When experimenting on people or even animals in the US, you are required to detail every part of the experiment. I imagine it would be difficult to convince the IRB that no harm or mental trauma would occur, and years of preliminary studies would have to be done, but I don't think you need to break any laws to eventually conduct cyborg experiments.

Post Fiend
    good talk

Post Fiend
    good talk

Forum Fanatic
    just because something could violate the code doesn't mean it will... that's true of plenty technology not just new stuff. opposing anything that just has the potential to violate nuremburg seems kind of Luddite-ish.

Veteran
    i like my humanity and mortality if you want to become a mindless machine that can be controlled by others, be my guest.

Regular
    Fun fact! If you use a computer, you are a cyborg.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
    Fun fact! If you use a computer, you are a cyborg.
    heres another fun fact, i have no machinery, no connections, no plug ins or devices that connect me internally to the computer at all, except headphones..
    so how does using a computer make me a cyborg? ^.- care to explain the dynamics on your fun fact for me?

sorry?
    im a bit...
    "slow" or "outdated" if you prefer

Post Fiend
    good talk
    Last edited by hllwrld; 18-12-2012 at 22:20.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by hllwrld View Post
    If you define cyborgization as a biomechanical system, you can fit within that definition yourself using a computer. It's a fair definition, right?

Anyway, I'm not opposing this or any other technology. Like I said, it's interesting. It's really, really interesting. I might be opposing the very violation of Nuremberg code. However this opposition is absolutely worthless in practice, evidently. I don't know how to secure this virtual restriction. My reflex is to propose a Public Research vein into this technology, so that symptoms of damage caused by it wouldn't be written off as something else. ... Sorry, I lost my train of thought, or just tired. I wanted to jump onto something different... Just how interesting it is. With this I can see through your eyes and follow your own attention, without your knowledge whatsoever. Many other things are possible, which is entirely on the conscience of those who are doing it (provided they have conscience). Another interesting thing is that you can see exactly what's going on in the heads of autistic savants and such.

Edit: not to say there isn't any public research into this; there's clearly not enough, and wikipedia is mostly silent with respect to this in terms of general info. It has a few related articles here and there, but the whole picture is much, much grander.
    Being able to see through ones mind? "telephaty" through the use of technology huh?
    The whole notion and idea of attempts to make us machines... just *shudders*

and sorry but how is your above and adequate definition? -- I'll accept it as fair, however, how do you get the bias that i like the definition/label of being called cyborg because i use a computer daily?
    also, how does the use of a computer pertain to category of "cyborg" care to elaborate for me on your definition? the whole process just sounds... too fishy to me
    it sounds like another way for world control/domination without our knowledge of its existence if you ask me. (Nuremborg code -- i have to do homework XD)
    yeeah... the idea of someone being able to read my thoughts, intentions, and perceive myself without the extent of their own mind and using technology to manipulate sleeping parts of the brain? -- I call this a form of laziness as they do not want to take the years, generations, thousands of -- oookay im going off on a tanget forget that.. If you think of humans as a virus to our planet, then you can imply i think of your theory of "cyborgization" (even if a person using a computer is considered part of this and since you support this theory) machines are a virus to humans.. and since anyone who uses a computer is considered a "cyborg" in your theory and thoughts, the human condition will need to correct itself!

Regular
    Because I know who coined the term...

By the late twentieth century, our time, a mythic time, we are all chimeras, theorized and fabricated hybrids of machine and organism: in short, we are all cyborgs.

-- Donna Haraway (1989b, p. 66)

Post Fiend
    good talk
    Last edited by hllwrld; 18-12-2012 at 22:20.

Regular
    Human computer interaction was the intention of the word cyborg when it was created 52 years ago in an article about the benefits of self regulating human-machine interfaces that would help survival in outer space. You guys watch to much science fiction if you think it only applies to humans who are bio-mechanically enhanced like the one million dollar man.

Thread Information