Thread: Hybrid A/M

Hybrid A/M

How high mod wpa do you feel is needed at this stage of the age to be successful as a hybrid A/M if you focus on fireballs with some MS thrown into the mix? How much higher needed if you want to be able to cast nightmares?

Dwarf/Mystic A/M in the middle of top 100 of land chart not having great success with 4 rwpa and 60% Channeling science.

Is Elf/Mystic the only viable A/M hybrid late age?

Post Demon
    it's highly variable. channeling sci is super important late-age. having AW support makes magic much easier.
    you should have closer to +100% channeling science at this point in the age. channeling sci boost is more relevant than pumping the extra wpa.
    are you top 100 land for provinces or kingdoms?

With those stats you can probably MS provinces with .8 raw wpa, nm 1 raw (but you don't have that spell), and fb 1.3 raw. Dwarf is viable (its a terrible a/m to begin with, but if you really just want to fireball.... any core raze will do) but you will have to increase to 8-10 raw wpa.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Elf is by far superior because of the available modifiers. Dwarf is dependent on dedicating pop space to wizards.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Post Fiend
    I went into my last war with 22 mod wpa as an elf and I found getting MS on enemy sages was rather hard! At this point in the age attackers have had time to build up their wpa as well.

I think I give 25 mod a try for the last war and see how that goes.

Dwarves will always struggle with MS since an elf has a natural 1.8*modifier compared to a dwarf due to racial bonus and mages fury.

Dwarves role is to FB since they do increased damage. That said I imagine you want to be running about 5 mod and 90% science to have a good range of targets.

it depends on the persons science and race.
    elf with good sci, atleast 4 raw.
    non elves a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindman View Post

I think I give 25 mod a try for the last war and see how that goes.
    25 mod wpa on a hybrid? yeh right
    Last edited by squazzie; 30-01-2013 at 23:55.
    Net Change 666 runes
    Behead this advisor

Post Fiend
    It matters more on the kind of kingdoms you're warring and who your targets are...

There is always a sacrifice. At 4 rwpa and 60% channeling science you will be an effective mage in certain circumstances, and a terrible mage in others. But increasing WPA/Science comes at the cost of economy and draft available for military/economy sciences, respectively.

As a dwarf A/M expect to be more attacker-oriented than elves and, likely, to fail more spells. Focus on what you're good at while trying to help out with mage ops... don't try to compete with Faeries or elves that don't hold their own in attacking power.

Often that means when it comes to ops, focus the bulk of your efforts on easier ops on easier targets. But 4 rwpa should be fine for a dwarf A/M. More channeling science would help. But any more raw WPA comes at the cost of the "A" aspect of your role. If you want to be an a/M, that's another thing... and I wouldn't recommend dwarves go a/M. They're better A/m if anything.
    Last edited by Budlightyear; 31-01-2013 at 02:02.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by squazzie View Post
    it depends on the persons science and race.
    elf with good sci, atleast 4 raw.
    non elves a bit higher.

25 mod wpa on a hybrid? yeh right
    25 mod is only 6 raw if you are running 90% science and marqui honor. That will get you to 24,83 mod wpa.

Its only 1 more wpa raw than the 22 mod (5 raw ish) I was running last war.
    I can sacrifice 6 mod opa for 3 mod wpa all day any day.

I generally don't run TGs or Rax but still managed to get 1700 and 1400 acres in my last two wars so I think its fine for an elf to focus on magic more than attacking but it always depends on the kingdoms needs.

I mostly run the following.

31ppa
    10 elite
    8 def spec
    6 wizzy
    4 peasant
    3 thieves
    Last edited by Blindman; 31-01-2013 at 14:42.

Thread Information