Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Utopia will die

Quote Originally Posted by LameBeaver View Post
    That game's dead now. A rip-off that tried to kill the original.
    lol thats a lie.
    Icy 4 8

Quote Originally Posted by E_Boko View Post
    lol thats a lie.
    Oh i'm sorry, please give me the live link proving that utopia kingdoms facebook app still exists.

EDIT: here let me help you: https://apps.facebook.com/utopiakingdoms/
    Never hate your enemies. It clouds your judgment.
    -Michael Corleone,The Godfather

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Somewhere Mr. Collins is still not caring about Utopia lol

Post Fiend
    yes it will.

Forum Fanatic
    There are good points in this thread, but I think there might be some real merit to the "it's the nature of the times" style of argument. With so many other games out there (even in terms of browser-based gaming) that offer more instant gratification, flashier/moving graphics, and less work, it's hard to interest people in the joys of a text-based strategy game.

I agree that the suggestion "we don't need new players" is absurd. The best way to keep something alive is to get people to join in.

Is there any legal recourse against that rip-off artist on facebook???

Oh i'm sorry, please give me the live link proving that utopia kingdoms facebook app still exists.

EDIT: here let me help you: https://apps.facebook.com/utopiakingdoms/
    oooo never heard of that one. different game. the one i know can be logged in through FB though.
    Icy 4 8

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Utopia Kingdoms (aka Fake Utopia/FU) was supposed to be the sister game of Utopia designed to bring a fresh look to the Utopia brand and possibly bring in new players for Utopia (or Utopia Classic as they tried to call it).

Here's what they told us:
    *It was going to be JUST LIKE Utopia but with nicer graphics and a more stable code.
    *It wasn't going to be pay-to-win.
    *Utopia Kingdoms was a side project next to Utopia. Utopia was bought so they could run Utopia.
    *It was advertised as the game "Utopians have been waiting for since 2000!" or something like that.

Here's what they lied about:
    *Nothing like Utopia. It had the same races. Game play and basic concepts were totally different.
    *Was pay-to-win.
    *They purchased Utopia for the sole reason of using the game and trying to use that to launch their new, lame, money grubbing game. Any plans on actually working on Utopia was to keep the utopians here long enough to check out their new game. Trying to keep Utopia alive after UK launched as an afterthought.
    *Utopians hated it. Nearly universally.

Within a few hours of the game being up, Utopians tried to direct some of the new traffic over to Utopia. Those threads were quickly deleted/closed and the users banned. Utopians very quickly saw through their lies and the war of Jolt vs Utopia began, and we won :)

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Utopia Kingdoms (aka Fake Utopia/FU) was supposed to be the sister game of Utopia designed to bring a fresh look to the Utopia brand and possibly bring in new players for Utopia (or Utopia Classic as they tried to call it).

Here's what they told us:
    *It was going to be JUST LIKE Utopia but with nicer graphics and a more stable code.
    *It wasn't going to be pay-to-win.
    *Utopia Kingdoms was a side project next to Utopia. Utopia was bought so they could run Utopia.
    *It was advertised as the game "Utopians have been waiting for since 2000!" or something like that.

Here's what they lied about:
    *Nothing like Utopia. It had the same races. Game play and basic concepts were totally different.
    *Was pay-to-win.
    *They purchased Utopia for the sole reason of using the game and trying to use that to launch their new, lame, money grubbing game. Any plans on actually working on Utopia was to keep the utopians here long enough to check out their new game. Trying to keep Utopia alive after UK launched as an afterthought.
    *Utopians hated it. Nearly universally.

Within a few hours of the game being up, Utopians tried to direct some of the new traffic over to Utopia. Those threads were quickly deleted/closed and the users banned. Utopians very quickly saw through their lies and the war of Jolt vs Utopia began, and we won :)
    Well, that was jolt/omac. The game is now operated by Arcadia Games.

Anyway, people have been saying utopia was dying for at least 3 years now but we still have the same sized player base of about 7000 players.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Quote Originally Posted by Landro View Post
    Anyway, people have been saying utopia was dying for at least 3 years now but we still have the same sized player base of about 7000 players.
    They've been saying it for the past 8+ years.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Quote Originally Posted by E_Boko View Post
    oooo never heard of that one. different game. the one i know can be logged in through FB though.
    link pls. btw facebook login is not (necessarily) equal to facebook game app
    Never hate your enemies. It clouds your judgment.
    -Michael Corleone,The Godfather

Regular
    i remember being told "Kds like yours will ruin utopia, you are killing the game" in 2002
    Dragons be Evil

Post Fiend
    link pls. btw facebook login is not (necessarily) equal to facebook game app
    E_Boko is referring to another clone of utopia, which is worse than the original because it's a pay for win game with a small playerbase and with mods who show leniency towards blatant abuse. it's not even worth checking.
    Last edited by Lykron; 31-03-2013 at 15:35. Reason: grammar

Nor is it allowed to be discussed here.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Nor is it allowed to be discussed here.
    To get it clear for me, you mean with here in the "utopia talk" section or in the entire forum?
    There are dozen's of games like Utopia and some are simulair, the strong selling point in utopia is it's player base. You are more or less forced to work as a team to win wars for an instance, this makes the player more responsible to log in for his chain or ops. It also works as a glue to keep the player base together. There are very little games out there with such an active and team based player base.

Most new players we get never heard of IRC, but after some time they are lingering in the channel more than they actually play. It has it's own social factor that isn't easily replaced, why else would a chained or pk'ed prov remain in a kd? What I am trying to point out is that people wouldn't easily leave this game for an alternative if it doesn't have the social structure that this game has, so comparing alternative games in a normal non recruiting way could actually help this game. If they have found a great addition, why not copy it from them? Or else, if it is just a bad rip-off, make it clear in this kind of conversations before people try to check out "rumors".

Just one little suggestion to keep the selling edge for this game for when and if uto-clones seem to gain momentum. Add an "expensive" (40 usd or so) option to start a kingdom at the beginning of an age. Give it 19 invites and a 4 week "no random landings" period. This will make it so much easier to compete against Facebook based clones, which would have an add fb-friends option.

Anywhere in this forum.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Thread Information