Thread: A Plea: Make the explore formula known

Sir Postalot

A Plea: Make the explore formula known

In the past few ages, we have changed the pool structure and explore formula drastically. These changes have affected each age significantly.

Facts:

1) For 95% of the server, the explore pool really doesn't matter. Most kingdoms stay small and war people their own size. Having the explore formula hidden or known makes no differnce

2) for 5% of the server, the explore formula is the single most important thing in the game. If affects race/strategy choices, and having it be completely unknown only results in complete uncertainty and the winner of all of the wars amongst the top kingdoms becomes solely based on which side has more allies

There is really no justifiable reason to keep this a secret, ESPECIALLY when it changes every age. This is a math and strategy game, to keep the most important part of the math/strategy a secret and then make ages last 4 months long is just a colossal disaster.

Please make it public so people who care can plan and compete. This is a math/strategy game, keeping it secret and changing it every age is not the way to run it.

Again, releasing it will have zero negative effects on 95% of the server, and will have a tremendous positive effect on the rest of the game. Most all of the formulas of the game are known and posted in the guide, yet we keep the most important formula a secret?

Last age we had a change announced and still located in the "age 57 changes" that was never implemented or coded properly. Publish the formulas and we can both be a more open community and help and point out when things aren't working as intended. (I'm referring to the change that stated that minimum gains in war were to be reduced 50%, most everyone knows this did not happen) We can help eachother make this a better game.
    Last edited by flogger; 02-06-2013 at 07:44.

Post Fiend
    I support this.

I don't understand the logic behind keeping formulas secret. I'd like the explore formula to be public as well as other things like spell success formula etc.
    Hi Spike,
    Thanks for your message - as you know we do our very best to minimise any
    mental anguish suffered as a result of playing Utopia.

Regards,
    Simon Shirlow
    Communuity Manager

--------------
    I miss Jolt....

Forum Addict
    I support this too. But will Bishop listen? he never does...

I support this also
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Real life of Anri - Utopia addict
    http://instagram.com/henke82

Veteran
    While you are correct in saying the community can make this a better game, if that's what we really wanted we should have began open source coding our own version of the game many many years ago. Since mehul left we've been stuck with devs who have very little understanding of how the game mechanics could be altered to improve it, and who seem to have very little skill at implementing the poorly chosen changes they decide upon each age neways. That being said, In 57 ages these type of formulas have not been released.

Youd might as well ask them to release to you other unknown formulas such as magic/thievery success rate formulas, gains formula, honor transfer formula, etc etc. Since youre so special.

Or you could just do what every other good kd since the game started did, and get someone with good enough math skills to reverse engineer the formula for you? So what the problem is?

Post Demon
    Funny enough I started a game project with Toadi like 5 years ago. I just stumbled into a chunk of its source code :P

Quote Originally Posted by brado View Post
    While you are correct in saying the community can make this a better game, if that's what we really wanted we should have began open source coding our own version of the game many many years ago. Since mehul left we've been stuck with devs who have very little understanding of how the game mechanics could be altered to improve it, and who seem to have very little skill at implementing the poorly chosen changes they decide upon each age neways. That being said, In 57 ages these type of formulas have not been released.

Youd might as well ask them to release to you other unknown formulas such as magic/thievery success rate formulas, gains formula, honor transfer formula, etc etc. Since youre so special.

Or you could just do what every other good kd since the game started did, and get someone with good enough math skills to reverse engineer the formula for you? So what the problem is?
    It becomes a problem when some people all ready got the new explore formula while others dont have it.
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Real life of Anri - Utopia addict
    http://instagram.com/henke82

Needs to get out more
    I'm a 95%r.
    Realizing this is a math strategy game it's still playable to relative success if you just do what works. So, if the formula is released I'd like a dumbed down plussy-minussy-dividey-muliplicatickle version for journeymen like myself. If not, I'm just exploring what won't get me killed as usual.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 02-06-2013 at 20:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I support this, so i can drug my kd m8s in FS and whore like the whore i am.
    Played in Freeakstyle from 2009 to age 72 (2017) <3 - 7honor 1war crown | On a break

Post Fiend
    i support this.

Post Demon
    Of course there's a justifiable reason. If it doesn't matter to 95% of the server then there is your justifiable reason. If the top 5% can't plan a strategy around those game mechanics they don't know with 100% certainty then they don't deserve to be the top 5%

Thread Information