Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did the USA become so awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    You're assuming that I meant the USA never invaded Canada or Mexico, which I didn't.

We were talking about current events. I guess I incorrectly assumed that when I say things like "neither have been invaded" that there's an implied understanding of "recently", otherwise why would I even bring it up? I'm plenty aware of my country's basic history, enough to know that the Mexican-American War was a thing and I live by Lake Erie so I'm well informed of the battles that happened in and around Canada.

Then again, I shouldn't bother defending what should be simple understanding, because trolls be trolling.
    "We get along with Canada and Mexico pretty well. Neither have been invaded... "

I don't know its a strange way to say something. America gets on fine with tons of countries. But by adding the "neither have been invaded" is kind of silly. I mean America has great relationships with Japan, but America has also invaded Japan.

Go to texas and tell them the Alamo hasn't happened :p. If getting a long with a country is qualified by not currently being in a state of war with said country then Georgia and Russia get a long:P

To me that was legitimately a strange thing to say :p. As all the war memorials say, "forgive, but don't forget"
    Last edited by goodz; 21-07-2014 at 21:17.
    My life is better then yours.

Italy and France must hate each other. I mean, the Franks kicked the Romans out of the area in 507. Who could ever forgive such travesties!?
    *checks and confirms that France and Italy and strong allies with each other*

And to clear this up, if you want to claim that America is a continent, you need to claim there are 6 continents. I'm going to keep following the 7 continent model that most English speaking countries follow, which means I'm correct in stating that America is not a continent.
    actually I would do no such thing, North America and South America are indeed two seperate continents. ;)

I guess you didn't catch my wink here.

wink wink nudge nudge... I say did you get my sense of humor here? Or should that be humour to ya? ;) ;)
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by goodz View Post
    "We get along with Canada and Mexico pretty well. Neither have been invaded... "

I don't know its a strange way to say something. America gets on fine with tons of countries. But by adding the "neither have been invaded" is kind of silly. I mean America has great relationships with Japan, but America has also invaded Japan.

Go to texas and tell them the Alamo hasn't happened :p. If getting a long with a country is qualified by not currently being in a state of war with said country then Georgia and Russia get a long:P

To me that was legitimately a strange thing to say :p. As all the war memorials say, "forgive, but don't forget"
    thanks goodz for pointing that out ;)

but may I add to it that it was also vice versa. Japan also invaded the United States. ;)
    Last edited by freemehul; 21-07-2014 at 21:46.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

That was sort of the point. I'm not sure the natural reaction to an oddball statement defaulted to "Wow, that guy must be totally serious and accounting for the entire US history" and not "...lol"

Quote Originally Posted by freemehul View Post
    I guess you didn't catch my wink here.
    The other's aren't winking. They think there are 7 continents and that America is somehow one (or two?) of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

"The Americas, or America,[5][6][7] also known as the New World, are the combined continental landmasses of North America and South America,[8][9] in the Western Hemisphere.[10] "

So I guess its more down to semantics than anything else ..

The other's aren't winking. They think there are 7 continents and that America is somehow one (or two?) of them.
    then the others are being foolish ;)

There is no continent called America.

Here in the US, we use America as a short version for the United States of America. The rest of the world may continue going on pretending that America is a continent.
    Here Here. I wish someone would explain this to my Spanish teacher.

Post Demon
    America is so awesome because you can eat as much as you want and still not be a social outcast.

Veteran
    Give Texas and California back to Mexico then you can say you beer invaded them;)
    California and Texas was bought from Mexico, not taken by invasion.
    Long live Mehul!

Thread Information