Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did the USA become so awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    There is no continent called America.

Here in the US, we use America as a short version for the United States of America. The rest of the world may continue going on pretending that America is a continent.
    America is a continent, its both North and South America combined, but then again you're from USA so geography isnt your strong suit I guess. (Also i thought necro threads gets locked..)

Postaholic
    Wow. Geography poeple.

What are the 7 continents of the world?

They are Europe, South America, North America, Africa, Australia, Asia and Antarctica.
    War Monkeys War Monger - Contact me if interested in a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Rather than whining, getting pissy and getting on my radar why don't you just .....

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    America is a continent, its both North and South America combined, but then again you're from USA so geography isnt your strong suit I guess. (Also i thought necro threads gets locked..)
    Is Dakota a state too? lol

Is Dakota a state too? lol
    no, the Dakota are a sub culture of the Sioux
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

What about central america
    My life is better then yours.

Forum Fanatic
    How did the USA become so terrible?

The Jerks.

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    How did the USA become so terrible?
    Unchecked greed and it's spreading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Forum Fanatic
    USA#1

In your face space coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Wow. Geography poeple.

What are the 7 continents of the world?

They are Europe, South America, North America, Africa, Australia, Asia and Antarctica.
    and what exactly do you have against geography people? ;)
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

We get along with Canada and Mexico pretty well. Neither have been invaded...
    uhm Mexico was invaded in the Mexican-American war of 1846-1848. You can hear evidence of this in the U.S. marines song "from the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli"

Canada was briefly invaded in the war of 1812, granted it was British held territory then and granted things didn't go well for the U.S. in that war, so I can understand why you keep forgetting about this war. You got your precious little White House in Washington sacked, but don't be sad at least you managed to keep your star-spangled banner as is evident in a poem.

;)
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Italy and France must hate each other. I mean, the Franks kicked the Romans out of the area in 507. Who could ever forgive such travesties!?
    *checks and confirms that France and Italy and strong allies with each other*

And to clear this up, if you want to claim that America is a continent, you need to claim there are 6 continents. I'm going to keep following the 7 continent model that most English speaking countries follow, which means I'm correct in stating that America is not a continent.

Forum Fanatic

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    You might as well call it "The New World" because that's the level knowledge that went into thinking that "America" is it's own continent.

Italy and France must hate each other. I mean, the Franks kicked the Romans out of the area in 507. Who could ever forgive such travesties!?
    *checks and confirms that France and Italy and strong allies with each other*

And to clear this up, if you want to claim that America is a continent, you need to claim there are 6 continents. I'm going to keep following the 7 continent model that most English speaking countries follow, which means I'm correct in stating that America is not a continent.
    I agree but I don't think Italy/France would say they have never gone to war, World war 2 was fairly recent. You said USA hasn't invaded Canada/Mexico that is quite wrong :p. Its like France/Germany are allies. Do you think france is going to say Germany has never invaded? That's essentially what you're now arguing.

As for the nomenclature of americans calling themselves americans:
    1) Americans are from the Americas and are therefore americans. Nothing wrong is happening.
    2) People from other countries in the Americas can refer to americans as whatever the want, in mexico and below they essentially refer to people from the usa as united stidos. They refer to themselves as latin American/from their specific country.
    3) people from Canada are especially patriotic and because many American regions have very similar accents to us we choose to differentiate and call ourselves Canadian, even though we are also American. As we see America as a rival in some regards we choose to differentiate ourselves :p

Nomenclature on continents:
    The Americas is 2 continents, south America and north America. Saying "America" is a continent is wrong it is 2 continents. There is 7 recognized continents. The Americas is often referred to as the Americas referring to the entire land mass of north/south/central America. Saying America is a continent is like saying Eurasia is a continent it is just wrong.

Although Central America is just a sub continent you calling it a continent for short seems to be acceptable. Its kind of like Oceania can also be referred to as a continent and although not correct it is done quite a bit and people don't seem to mind. Most people in New Zealand seem to say they are from the continent of Oceania.

These are my thoughts on these subjects. You should all live by my opinion.

Thanks,
    Last edited by goodz; 21-07-2014 at 20:15.
    My life is better then yours.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by goodz View Post
    I agree but I don't think Italy/France would say they have never gone to war, World war 2 was fairly recent. You said USA hasn't invaded Canada/Mexico that is quite wrong :p. Its like France/Germany are allies. Do you think france is going to say Germany has never invaded? That's essentially what you're now arguing.
    You're assuming that I meant the USA never invaded Canada or Mexico, which I didn't.

We were talking about current events. I guess I incorrectly assumed that when I say things like "neither have been invaded" that there's an implied understanding of "recently", otherwise why would I even bring it up? I'm plenty aware of my country's basic history, enough to know that the Mexican-American War was a thing and I live by Lake Erie so I'm well informed of the battles that happened in and around Canada.

Then again, I shouldn't bother defending what should be simple understanding, because trolls be trolling.

Thread Information