I notice on the forums that people are mixing up a crown (Syntico 2009) and a chart win, and thus inflating their crown count (ie, Godly actually only has 4 crowns, not 8). Allow me to explain what crowns are, and I highly suggest that a mod sticky this thread for future reference.

First of all, island wins are not worth anything, be it for Kingdom or Province. As well, racial wins in honor/land/nw are also not worth anything. Finally, war win crowns are also not crowns - it is a joke chart.

Next, comes the most important part; A crown is only a crown if, and only if, your kingdom wins land/nw together.

For example, if you played in Rage and Equilibrium of Absalom during age 33 where they split land and nw wins with each other, you would have half a crown. Should you win two half crowns in separate ages (as Rage and Equilibrium would do again in age 35), they aren't added together to form one crown. Instead, you would have two half crowns. For example, a Rage player who was there for ages 33 to 40, would have 1 crown and 2 half crowns.

Province crowns work the same way. You only earn a province crown if, and only if, you win province land/nw together. You get a half crown if you miss either one and they don't add with other half crowns from other ages to form full ones. For example, Proteus actually only has a half cow crown from Age 48 because he only took land.

Lastly, honor crowns are pretty straight forward. They are awarded to the top honor province and top honor kingdom. They are equal to a nw/land crown in value at 1 (ie, not a half crown that people perpetuate)

The crown system does not adjust for:
- period (age 1-10's era and age 40-50's era is the same),
- age length (8 week vs 17 week age is still one age),
- alliance wars (Warcry's crown is worth the same),
- player role (leader vs council vs peon - Proteus does not gain bonus points as leader), or
- anecdotal story lines (Simians giving HoH charity crowns still counts)

A crown is a crown is a crown. Winning is winning, whether by 1 acre or 100,000 acres. Currently, the winningest player in utopia history is TheMango, aka phiwha. His crown count is at 12, which includes 10 kingdom crowns, 1 province crown, 1 honor crown, notably with Pansies, Seasons, Sonata, Dreams, and Pulsing Trollfags. His quest for 13 is currently in progress.

I believe Elit and Maclean round out the top 3, but I've forgotten the order. We would need to consult the crown curator Syntico for that one.

Final note, the crown system was designed by Crown Curator Syntico Yabuki, and this post was written with the express written consent of his royal Troll Ishtari-ness. Any inquiries shall be directed to the high troll council at #vintage on irc.utonet.org.