Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Human/Merch

Veteran

Human/Merch

So I'm back to Utopia after a long absence - maybe 10 years or so. Been playing for about 6-8 weeks now - I forget exactly. I'm in a pretty small KD that is relatively inactive - very casual. I have utopia idling in the background for a large part of the day so my activity is pretty high. My province is alright at the moment but I'd like to get it that bit better and I know that I'm still pretty rusty so I want to kind of get some input by the more experienced guys to get the best out of what I have. I chose Human Merch because it seemed easy enough to ease back in and it has ToG which is pretty handy!

Atm I am a little over 1000 acres:

30ppa
    45dpa
    60opa
    1.5wpa
    2tpa

Buildings:

10% farms
    10% homes
    15% banks
    15% TG
    10% barracks
    10% guilds
    10% towers
    10% stables

I was thinking about putting the last 10% into forts (which I have never used before), but I'm not sure. I could easily take the 10% homes out too but I don't know where I should put it.

Science:

13% income
    8% BE
    9% pop
    30% food
    5% gains
    30% thievery
    6% magic

Help would be brilliant. I prefer to run big offense and around 40dpa but it made me totally stand out in last war and I took a beating. Also, I read people talking about keeping elites instead of def specs for defense to make you 'less vulnerable' - why is that?

Thanks!

Post Fiend
    The elites as defense compared to def specs is because nightmare and nightstrike kills specs at a much higher rate than elites. Pop income and magic I would pump these 3 at the same rate then the others at half there levels roughly.

As far as strat goes 20% WTs is pretty standard in war, otherwise thieves have way too much fun. Being a merchant I would try to squeeze 20% banks in as well and upping guilds to 15% to help with tog for when you gain land slash be suxs. Don't worry about forts or homes an decrease a few stables and raxes if you need to fit in banks and WTs.

Space is always an issue, most people say 3 tpa with 20% WTs but you can most likely get away with 2 in some cases, I would try to pump 3 wpa this will protect you a bit from fireballs but if they want to kill you they will. Run 3 dspa so you can help with dragon slaying and 6 ospa. Including wizards run 75% draft and put the rest into elites. You will not look like a threat, leave the trading of acers to orcs and undead, you will have great def and you can choose how many elites you want to send out to make bigger hits or none and make sure others get broken before you. Try to grow and be the 4-6thbiggest in kd. As you gain honor you will be much better and you want to be togging 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by s0830887 View Post
    My province is alright at the moment but I'd like to get it that bit better
    Lightwolf made some solid points, although i would like to know what role you are going to play? I know that if you are playing in a ghetto roles arent that strict, but will you play attacker with good bank, or A/t or something else?

Also is your KD active in warring or are you mostly out of war?

If you can answer this 2 questions that would help us to give you better tips.
    They gave Pandora a box. Prometheus begged her not to open it. She opened it. Every evil to which human flesh is heir came out of it.
    The last thing to come out of the box was HOPE.... It flew away.

Pandora's Box aka PB

Veteran
    Thanks man! Well I've been mucking around a little really - first war I tried A/T which was actually alright and second I tried A/M which I didn't really have a lot of success with. For the moment I've been trying to run heavy attacker with around 40-45dpa and then opa as high as possible - was hovering around 65opa last war. I've been using my runes in war exclusively on the couple of useful self-spells and then ToG for aid.

When I joined a month ago they were 0/2 but they actually put me as monarch and we've had two wars in three weeks with another one likely to start in the next day or so. I never really enjoyed not warring! We are also unfortunately kind of T/M heavy with only about 6 attackers (myself included) that I know will attack regularly throughout which kind of sucks...

Alright, A/t, A/T are viable roles for humans. However A/M is not as good. As you said yourself you didnt have alot of success with it. You want to priliminary use your mana for ToG.

Its not optimal to have that many TMs in your KD, but if you already have it, its important that you make them work together and coordinate stuff as you are the Mon. If they can play decently you guys shouldnt have a problem with your econ. And as you said you are pretty low on attackers so you should focus more on the attacking part. Either play as a A/t or pure attacker (Although humans cant play as heavy attackers as Orc and UD because of the opa difference) with good econ. Merchant helps alot with econ as you will have alot more free specs to use. Run between 35-40 dpa (depending on how big you are compared to your KD) and run higher OPA. Use a combination of TG/Forts/Stables to optimize these numbers. Also try to run 2 tpa/wpa (Should be higher for humans but since you will mainly play as attacker, this will do)
    They gave Pandora a box. Prometheus begged her not to open it. She opened it. Every evil to which human flesh is heir came out of it.

Pandora's Box aka PB

Also run mostly elites as your defense. Once in war you can retrain in dspecs.

Pandora's Box aka PB

Veteran
    Nice one, thanks man. I'll change things after this war and play around a bit. EoA is usually around year 13 is that right?

Pak - What would be a good military to run with a Human/Merch? Spefically the ration between ospecs and elites. I understand that its better to have all elite defense, but having trouble to find the right ratio to leverage the 5/0 ospecs for humans.

Strategy Moderator
    i ran 100% leet army when i tried human. i went a bit more t/m-y than attacker though and it worked out well. If you're doing the build as above try running 45-50 opa with off specs rest leets, will let u turtle attacker nicely.

cciliske, I usually look at opa and dpa instead of ratios, you should reach around 40 dpa (with forts) So that would be roughly 40-45% leets/dspecs and 55-60% Ospecs.

Persian, you could run any race as anything, but it isnt optimal. Humans COULD play as t/m but there are lot better races for that. Besides it sounds like s0830887 need to adapt more of a attacking role.

Pandora's Box aka PB

And s0830887, we dont fully know when the age will end yet. But it will probably be somewhere between year 12-14 (15)

Pandora's Box aka PB

Thanks!

Strategy Moderator
    pak, i never said it was optimal just that it worked, and it worked alot better than say trying to do the same thing on a dwarf. The point of running a human attacker though is that your able to run a higher dpa with leets home than the other attacker races when u dont need to be attacking with leets. Or for example that you eventually become unbreakable as you growand leave more and more leets home. To that end having 40-50 dpa with all leets home hardly accomplishes that goal as thats only slightly above the normal dpa of a pure attacker and even if your training def like mad isnt going to be safe from even an average pure attacker. His OP #'s for dpa/opa are on par with the idea of using leets to attack with and as you grow maybe not using all your leets if your able to eventually aid/bank a bit as an attacker. Think 13 leet/acre 7 offspec/acre.

Veteran
    Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't expecting much input cos I know human/merch is 'boring'. I managed to grow 50% so far and get unbreakable atm so I'm waiting for their T/Ms to come in and pump me although I managed to keep my tpa at 2 and I just took out 10% TGs into WTs.

Persian, im not saying that you are wrong here, since many of the things you say are good info :) However in his current situation i wouldnt recommend him trying to be a "small bank" + attacker or try to be UB... Humans arent really fit for Pure attackers (Even if they run this they should have higher def, that is true as well) but looking at s0830887 current situation he shouldnt be aiming economy wise as he has already clarified that his KD is filled with alot of TMs and they need attackers. Need to do the best out of the situation. Otherwise 45-50dpa is a good idea as an human attacker with leets for flexibility...but more then 50dpa is overkill IF you want to play pure attacker or A/t. A/T (CAN be slightly more then 50dpa) ... As a/T you might play with higher dpa then that.

However in s0830887 situation, 40dpa (Not more then 45dpa) is perfect.

Pandora's Box aka PB

Thread Information